Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats wrong with America? After connecting the dots you will come to the conclusion that America is a pretty good place...the best place in the world. If we are gonna continue with this discussion we all have to agree on these ancient truths...you can't have wet without dry, you can't have light without dark, and, you can't have the potential for ultimate success without the potential for ultimate failure. Say it how you want: karmic, wisdom of god, natural order of things...etc. In my futile search for truth in this country, I must mention a tool for constructing lies that has effected all of us and our families...our tax code. Republicans call it "spending"...Democrats call it "investing in our people" but who do taxes benefit? I would submit that our tax code and social programs have allowed the poor to abandon the church and their morality in their pursuit of secular support. In truth, this has been the corruptor of the black community (among others) which wallows in ignorance and votes democrat in unimaginable percentages.
    Then there is our education system...tragic! Education has to be privatised (sic). We can no longer have the Democratic teachers union teaching our kids because it is in the interset of Democrats that people remain ignorant. You see...ignorant people are easily controlled through fear and easily misled about economics which the NEA have so effectively done. Municipal sales taxes should supplement local schools...this would provide motivation to keep your neighborhood affluent. The schools should be ran by a private entity and not the NEA who are so hopelessly tied to the Democrats that they can't tell an ignorant child from a baby seal. Federal standards would still be met but without Federal money. This is how it has to be...we cannot have the Government teaching our kids. That is the ultimate incarnation of power.
    As for our tax code...we have to go back to a federal excise tax. This would insure that the treasury revenue is tied directly to the economy. This would motivate legislators to stop adopting policies that interfere with commerce and business. Now I know the environmentalists out there would cry foul. These guys have to accept the fact that nature is greater than us...we are not as destructive as they carry on.
    I really think that our tax code and our education system are the only things that are holding us from greatness. What do you guys think?
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

To be concise, I think you need to re-examine your positions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

which ones?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Pretty much everything. I think you're trying to cure the symptoms rather than the causes. You cite education and taxation as the things holding America back, but you really aren't making a compelling case for blaming either. You've included plenty of political partisanship there, but very little real substance or reality.

I am curious about something, though. Just what is it that we're being held back from? We're the most afluent nation on Earth, and world's only economic/political/military superpower.

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have trouble seeing the NEA as a nefarious group bent on poisoning america. did you also consider the fact that they are so heavily democratic is because they are on the front lines, and they see which party is more commited to improving education. frankly, i think the carlyle group is a greater threat to democracy.

i do agree that education and taxation are perhaps our two biggest problem areas (i'd add election reform as well). education is the great equalizer, and imo, a major factor in quality of life regardless of what you do. tying it to narrow local funding will only promote inequality in schools, and continue the rush to overburdened suburbs. i think we need more equitable funding, with communities having the option to add levies if they wish.

i think taxation would easily be solved if we simply held corporations accountable, and they paid their freakin' taxes. the enrons and GEs of the nation skate on less than 5% a year, while we bear the full burden. have them do their fair share, like they used to, and we wouldn't be so worried about april 15 and budget defeceits.

interesting topic - i think america's great, but i've been very lucky too. we could tweak the system a little and improve things for every american.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's so easy to blame the NEA for the countries ills. Public schools work. I'd be willing to put my children's public education up against any private education. Not to mention the parents. To many people feel that it's all on the schools and teachers to educate their children. More often than not, it is the parents and the child themselves.
    The amount of schooling it takes to become a teacher is about the same as lawyers, yet the pay scale is heavily teetered in one direction. Thank god for the NEA. The Republicans seem to think that Education is some sort of welfare, without thinking or appreciating the hard work and dedication it takes to be an educator. If the Republicans had their way, teachers would be earning minimum wage. Opps! I forgot! If Republicans had their way, there would be no minimum wage!
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Free beer will solve many problems, legalizing pot should fix the rest.

Okay, not really, but it will seem like it.

[ February 06, 2003, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the tirade...I guess the lesson here is don't drink and post. Ikeda has to take some responsibility because he got me fired up on his thread. It just frustrates me to no end how the tax code is used to divide us. If the public were properly educated the tactics we see with every budget battle would not work to pit black against white, rich against poor and man against woman. And as far as what percentages corporate America pays...5% looks very small compared to the actual dollar amounts. I would argue that arbitrarily raising the minumum wage devalues the dollar and puts a strain on small business thereby defeating the people who are suposed to be helped by the action. I would also argue that throwing money at education does not improve the quality. Just look at the curriculum...Art, Phys Ed, Music and Study Hall are riddled throughout middle and high school schedules and I would argue that no one is in shape or an athelete because of phys ed class. The same could be said of the other courses as well. Many of my 1st and 2nd year college courses could have been High school courses. It shouldn't take 4 years to earn a bachelors degree. Think I'll stop here and brace for impact.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The tax code is unfair...No doubt about it and it is the middle class that bears the brunt of cost. The Dems support the very poor and the GOP support the very rich...Is there anyone, who supports the needs of those of us who are footing the bill?

I understand the concept that throwing money at problem will fix it. Just look at the military. Warehouses full of $400.00 hammers and $800.00 toilete seats that no-one will ever use. Or spending BILLIONS on a Missle Defense System that on paper is great idea, but god knows the damn thing will never work. The second some politician starts speaking of cutting back on Military spending and waste, he is quickly called weak and anti-American!

Minimum wage is always an issue, but it kinda works the same theory as "tax-breaks". Put more money into the hands of people and they'll spend it on goods, therefore put money back into the economy.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by swage:
    The schools should be ran by a private entity and not the NEA who are so hopelessly tied to the Democrats that they can't tell an ignorant child from a baby seal.
    ROTFLMAO @ baby seal!
    How true though. Teachers are one of the Dems cash cows. $$ for union dues taken from their paychecks weather or not the teachers want to give it up. Anyways, quite the rant there [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I think the problems come from the home and how kids are raised and then in turn how they raise their kids.

if you are brought up in an unloving home you will probably have issues later in life.

and people should remember that there aint no such thing as a free lunch!

[ February 07, 2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: hain23x ]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by hain23x:
    I think the problems come from the home and how kids are raised and then in turn how they raise their kids.

if you are brought up in an unloving home you will probably have issues later in life.

and people should remember that there aint no such thing as a free lunch!
    Bingo!
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by swage:
    Sorry for the tirade...I guess the lesson here is don't drink and post. Ikeda has to take some responsibility because he got me fired up on his thread...
    you sayin' i drive you to drink swage?

i think the point about parenting is dead on. sadly, that's not the kind of thing you can legislate, so some kids are gonna get a raw deal. too many people ignore that, some even move to a fancy ass school district, and think that means their kids will learn, but they never put in effort into the kids education themselves.

but the fact that parents have ultimate responsibility shouldn't mean we don't give our schools what they need. the bottom line is - politicians can short-change kids on education, because they won't give washington the shit that seniors do if they're funding is cut, or generals if they're funding is cut. it's a sick game.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Ikeda:
    i think the point about parenting is dead on. sadly, that's not the kind of thing you can legislate, so some kids are gonna get a raw deal.
    To a degree it can be legislated. You can give people incentives to take parenting classes, keep families together, and have one parent stay at home or work part time. These things are possible, but we just haven't put a great value on them.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

. Warehouses full of $400.00 hammers and $800.00 toilete seats that no-one will ever use.
    You've been watching too much 'Dateline'.

If you really believe what you just typed, and I hope that you don't, then you are truly very, VERY far away from understanding how our government/military hide costs that would make the average American cringe, yet are necessary to defend all that is right and good about our country.

Trust me, there *aren't* any $400 hammers stored away in some warehouse, but there *are* some crazy-ass weapons and intelligence utilities that a poor, misguided Liberal can't even wrap his skull around enough to comprehend.