Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Those new Playstations are pretty cool. My wife bought me one for Christmas and it has nice graphics. I was a little shocked she was able to find one, but she suckered my mom into waiting in line all night. 28 years old and Santa still brings me "toys". That Madden 2001 rules when playing your buds. I just ordered Midnight Street Racing at www.EBworld.com They are a hell of a lot cheaper than buying at the local WallyWorld.

Anyways what are some other good video games?

------------------
    500 horses and a Chrysler mill, makes the Limecuda the king of the hill

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Kick ass man! This is one of those "Toys" that I keep telling myself to go buy. I'm gonna wait till the rush on these things clears out then, "It will be mine, oh yes.....It will be mine!" LOL. Out.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wait until around Christmas 2001 and the thing will probably be $100 cheaper, t5.

Mainly because there will be an X Box and maybe a Gamecube, plus I'd wager a $125 Dreamcast (where all the games are right now).

Only makes horse sense to wait at least until the next round of new "must haves" come out

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How's it work as a DVD player, Limecuda?

Eruption
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    How's it work as a DVD player, Limecuda?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As stupid as this may sound, you just put a dvd into the game tray. There are no switches or anything. A controller works the system or you could buy a remote. I've heard that some games are actually made on dvd discs now to end some piracy. It's a pretty sweet little setup. In March a ton of good games come out.

There are several new systems coming out at the end of the year. Microsoft has the xbox and Nintendo has the gamecube. I'm kinda glad that the PS2 came out earlier. Millions will be sold before the others come out so hopefully we'll have plenty of game support from developers. I got burned by Sega with that Saturn years ago and I would hate for that to happen to me again.

------------------

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, I sorta figured you had to put a movie in it...

What I should have asked is how does it compare to a normal DVD player, feature-wise.

Eruption
    Last Online

I'm sorry about that misunderstading Mike. I thought you were asking if there were any tricks etc. to getting the dvd to work. I really can't answer you about a dvd comparison. This is the first one I've owned. It seems fine to me though. Besides it's way to persuade the wife "we" need a dvd. The only snafu I had was it reccommends going straight to the AV jacks on your tv rather than through a VCR. You'll get an occassional blue screen through your VCR. I don't know if all dvd players do this , but it's suppose to end piracy.

------------------

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well , I'm all DVD now so I won't have to worry about VHS. I played Madden 2001 with a buddy at Best Buy here in Greenville . It was awesome . There were about 10 people watching us play . I will get mine at the end of this year when prices drop . The graphics are great . You can do a helluvalot with the processor in the PS2 I'm told by my computer friends .

------------------
    GO PACKERS !!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The issues about the DVD quality compared to a straight up DVD player is pretty simple: A dedicated machine is always better than a hybrid, but the hybrid offers more if you can take a slight hit in quality.

The major issues are, obviously, you have to pay extra if you want a true remote control, you need to have a memory card to load the DVD player information on (unless that's changed over the Japanese release, which I doubt), and, much like the PSX, keep the PSX2 in a well ventilated area, as it's prone to overheating when the temperature rises.

As for the "power" of the PSX2, well, it's slightly better than the DC, which of course brings into question how far the envelope of the TV can be pushed before you don't notice the difference. I'd say we're pretty close, as yes, Madden looks amazing, but not THAT much better than NFL2K1. Also, a thing you need to watch out for is the graphics anti-aliasing, or lack thereof. In layman's terms, the DC and Gamecube can use tricks to make the edges of the polygons less visible, whereas the PSX2 cannot, and the only way to outdo the "jaggies" is to spread multiple layers of the images over top of each other, which blurs the picture slightly.

Ultimately, pick the system based on the games, not the hype. If you see something you want on the PSX2, pick it up. If not, don't. My personal view is while it's a powerful system, it doesn't offer ME anything I don't already have on my DVD player or Dreamcast, or anything I want in the near future.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

Stuff, you do not need a memory card in the PS2 to play DVD's. And I notice no loss of quality what-so-ever. The remote is worth the couple of bucks but it is not needed.

As for the quality, Madden is truly incredible, SSX is a must-have, I was a little disappointed with Tekken Tag (graphic wise) I thought they could have done a bit more with it.

Everything I have seen shows that I am glad to have spent the money on the system. Plus, anyone who has gone through a new release of a system knows that you never judge based upon the 1st generation of games. But even still, PS2 is setting the new mark and just wait to you see what is coming.

It was well worth the purchase price.

------------------
    EAT US AND SMILE!
    Guess who's back in circulation!

DLRArmy Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters, man

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

You're right stuff, that is all that matters.

And what's great is that, considering how happy I am with it even at the beginning, imagine how great it will be like when the programmers are able to fully utilize the power it has.

It will then be quite more than "slighty better." It will decimate.

------------------
    EAT US AND SMILE!
    Guess who's back in circulation!

DLRArmy Moderator