Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

Napster is a topic I'm very passionate about. Music fans shouldn't let Napster die! I signed up for the Napster Action Network, willing to help to keep Napster alive. You can sign up to it by the window that pops up when you start Napster. ANY MUSIC FAN WHO KNOWS WHAT NAPSTER IS ABOUT SHOULD JOIN!
    Why?
    Napster is the only comfortable way of finding the music that we like. The music industry should stop bitchin' around, they make enough money of artists or bands that don't exist anymore (Elvis, Beatles...) Is it more immoral to download some songs from Napster to check them out before you buy the album than making money of deceased artists like the music industry does? I DON'T THINK SO! In my opinion, downloading songs is NO THEFT, because you don't take something away from somebody. You might as well record the songs off the radio, but it's not very comfortable to call the station and wish a song. There's no difference, it's just juristic bullshit. Actually, the music industry didn't lose money in my case, because I BOUGHT MORE CD'S SINCE I USE NAPSTER. There are a lot of bands I own a cd of today which I wouldn't even know if Napster wouldn't exist. With Napster, I can listen to every cd before I buy it, and it's my fuckin' right to check a product before I buy it.
    Here are some quotes by artists that support Napster:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I just want my music to be out, and that's always been the main priority. It was never really about getting paid. It was just getting people to hear my music and say, 'Hey, I like your song.' So if Napster wants to put my song out so people can download it or whatever, let 'em do it."
    -- Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Reuters, 2/12/2001 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Most people I know who use Napster listen to stuff they've never heard before. And then they get psyched and go out and buy the damn records. It's more like a sampler."
    - Ian MacKaye, recording artist, Fugazi and co-owner of Dischord Records, Salon.com, 1/8/2001<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"We believe that the Internet and Napster should not be ignored by the music industry as tools to promote awareness for bands and market music."

-- Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"There are a lot of bigger problems in the world than whether Napster succeeds or fails...I don't think there is a malice coming out of Napster. We allowed people to tape our concerts from the beginning, and the record company questioned us about allowing that. But my thinking was that it only makes people want to buy more and increases the devotion of people who are going to listen to us."

-- Dave Matthews (Dave Matthews Band), Rolling Stone, 7/21/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Stealing our copyright provisions in the dead of night when no-one is looking is piracy. It's not piracy when kids swap music over the Internet using Napster. There were one billion downloads last year but music sales are way up, so how is Napster hurting the music industry? It's not. The only people who are scared of Napster are the people who have filler on their albums and are scared that if people hear more than one single they're not going to buy the album."

-- Courtney Love, NME, 6/29/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"We should think of (Napster) as a new kind of radio--a promotional tool that can help artists who don't have the opportunity to get their music played on mainstream radio or on MTV,"

-- Chuck D, New York Times, 4/30/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Most people I know who listen to a lot of MP3s will download a lot of different songs. And if they like the song, they'll go out and buy the album. The record company doesn't want me to say this, but out of the millions of MP3 files that are out there, if someone chooses to download one of my songs or an album of mine, I'm very flattered."

-- Moby, Macaddict.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"The Edge is very pro-Napster, actually," Bono says. "He thinks that as long as people are using their computers for music, and not playing mindless games, that's good. My feeling," he adds, "is that it's cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it's cool that people are so passionate about our music -- especially about this new album, quite honestly."

-- Bono on The Edge (U2), Billboard.com, 9/29/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"We have just finished a tour, we played in Barcelona, the next day the entire performance was up on Napster and three weeks later when we got to play in Israel the audience knew the words to all the new songs and it was wonderful. Digital music is just one of many things that contribute to an artist getting their message across and of course it is going to change record companies are going to have to embrace it and change with it and find different ways of getting revenue, maybe using Napster as a business model for their own on-line thing."

-- Colin Greenwood (Radiohead), NME, 9/28/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I think it's a good idea because it's people trading music. It has nothing to do with industry or finance, it's just people that want music and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the same as someone turning on the f****** radio, it's the same as someone putting a cassette in a cassette deck when the BBC plays a special radio session. I don't think it's a crime, it's been going on for years. It's the same as people making tapes for each other. The industry is more threatened by it because it's the worldwide web and it's a broader scope of trading, but I don't think it's such a f******* horrible thing. The first thing we should do is get all the f****** millionaires to shut their mouths, stop bitching about the 25 cents a time they're losing."

-- Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters), dotmusic.com, 9/15/2000 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"What record companies don't really understand is that Napster is just one illustration of the growing frustration over how much the record companies control what music people get 2 hear &lt; over how the air waves, record labels and record stores, which r now all part of this 'system' that recording companies have pretty much succeeded in establishing, r becoming increasingly dominated by musical "products" 2 the detriment of real music. Y should the record company have such control over how he, the music lover, wants 2 xperience the music?... &gt;From the point of view of the real music lover, what's currently going on can only b viewed as an xciting new development in the history of music. And, 4tunately 4 him, there does not seem 2 b anything the old record companies can do about preventing this evolution from happening."

-- Prince, NPGonlineLTD.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far, so good. Now, here's a list of cd's I bought because of Napster:
    -Hammerfall: Renegade
    -U2: All that you can't leave behind
    -Hellacopters: Grande Rock
    -Hellacopters: High Visibility
    -Slash's Snakepit: Ain't Life Grand
    -Sammy Hagar: Ten 13
    -Dream Theatre: "Awake", "Scenes From A Memory"
    -Iron Maiden: Brave New World

CD's I didn't buy because of Napster:
    None

Well guys, that's what I wanted say. Peace!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Napster is dead on its feet, but they just don't know it yet. It's a shame, but it's far too late to save it. Once their subscription plans were rejected, it was over.

Don't sweat it though. There'll be something new tomorrow that'll work just as well. Besides the alternatives out there now.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Well, there's no way for them to prevent us from using it. We all have the program, and there are enough unofficial servers out there of which they have absolutely no control.

[This message has been edited by SwissHalen (edited March 16, 2001 at 02:46 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I must have missed the memo on the unofficial servers. Whats that again?

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Look at that Mama, she got it sstick'n in the camera maan- (I wish I had some)

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

For they are unofficial, they don't show up on the official memos. All you have to do is to download the tool "Napigator" from http://www.napigator.com . Napigator allows you to choose the server which you want connect to.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

I know about Napigator, but who says those servers arent official? What server are they tied to if they are not linked with the company of Napster?? Privately owned or what? Clue me in here.

I was always under the impression when using Napigator that those servers were just alternate sites. Your initial connection was based on the fastest reply to one of those servers that shows up on Napigator. That software just gives you the power to control which server you are connected to. I think they are still all under the same blanket, but if you know something about it that I dont, by all means, hook me up

------------------

[This message has been edited by seenbad (edited March 16, 2001 at 03:17 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've already de-installed my Napster. I couldn't even log on anymore because of that pesky Barbara Orbison.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one. AND DON'T BE LATE!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The servers that have "Napster" (and probably "OpenNap") in the Network column are official. There are some other official servers I think, but there are also a lot unofficial ones. You recognize them by the names (for example "tiggybitch.dnsq.org"). There are fewer users than on the official ones, of course, but you have to put up with it.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

cool. Now just wondering what the relationship is with Napster. If they are on Napsters space, they are screwed. If not, I wonder if the software will still support it regardless of Napsters fate. How did those servers get under the Napster umbrella I guess is what I'm curious about? If they are not officially associated with the company.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Its just a situation similar to FTP sites, or IRC servers seen, all they need is some permanant connection, and some program that complies to napsters transfer protocols (probably info delibratly leaked from napster.)

From what I saw, a lot of the unnofficial servers seemed affiliated to software hack groups.

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

quote:
    Originally posted by Goo:
    all they need is some permanant connection, and some program that complies to napsters transfer protocols (probably info delibratly leaked from napster.)

Thanks. Does that mean that when Napster goes under, so do they if they rely on Napster ftp's?

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Well (as I understand it) the situations like this

with say FTP and IRC software theres 2 kinds of software - theres the server software that the guy running the FTP or IRC server uses, to set it up, define what people can do when they log on etc etc... then theres the client software - thats the FTP program YOU use to log on(CuteFTP, wsFTP, bulletproof..etc) or the IRC software - mIRC, Pirch, whatever.

With Napster, the napster software you have is the client software, and its already well and truly distributed around the web - even if napster shut down forever, the softwares still 'out in the wild' and you could pick a copy up somewhere if you looked.

The napster server software is obviously 'out' too, and some guys have set up unofficial napster servers of their own. All a napster sever really does is provide a 'tieing together' point for the users - same as IRC in essence.

While Napter.com will no doubt dissapear, and all their official servers go with it, the unoffiial ones are still out and about, and napigator provides a tool to find them.. the genies kinda outta the bottle, and while naster would be gone officially, theres a possibility it will survive in an depleted 'underground' form for a while

Thats how I understand the situation anyways - just based on my own observations. I might be well off the mark but Im pretty sure thats how the nuts and bolts of napster work

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Yeah, but we still have the possibility to keep Naspter alive officially. And I'm sure, if a guy with a lot of money and a good lobby wanted to, he could turn the whole thing around by suing the recording companies for making money of deceased artists and other BS they do.