Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Well, in less than a week, Sydney finally gets itas chance to put on the big show, and prove it can provide traffic snarls second to NOBODY goddamn it.

Gotta say though, living here its hard not to get swept up in it, its a pretty exciting time right here at the moment. Cued for 2 hrs this morning to secure some tickets.. Me and the ms.Goo are on our way to that main stadium to watch some athletics on the 24th, when the womens marathon comes in (we'll be up near the cauldron.. promise I'll wave!) and to a baseball game on the 17th (cuba vs South Africa).. we left it a bit late for the primo tickets, but we'll be there!

If the rumors flying round town are gonna be anything to go by, theres gonna be some pretty wild stuff happening at the opening and closing ceremonys.. I wont divulge, but the key words seem to be 'river of fire' involved in both the flame lighting, and extinguishing... The main olympic park is amazing, I drive through there a couple of times a week - nearly ALLL the main venues are in the one park, serviced by rail. A virtual city of stadiums..

Of course things are getting nuts already, theres the story of a workman who left his lunch box for 10 minutes, and returned to find the bomb squad had shot it.. better get used to it all I guess

Anyways, hope it goes well.. If worst comes to worst and all the trains fall off the tracks, rest assured we will still put on a party.. I'll try to keep you all informed with some of the storys you may not see in your local newspapers

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

People will be there, screaming in the stands, holding signs for the relatives that are competing, and waving flags for their respective countries...

And there will be this "one" guy, holding up a sign - "Word Up, VHLinks!!!"

------------------
    "Sayonara, Suicide, Hari-Kari, Kamikaze, you won't see another evening, bye-bye..."

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning - of course!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goo I'm sure you guys will put on a fine show! Congrats & good luck. I'll be lookin' for ya.

------------------
    Inventor of the "Boobie Shot"
    A.D. for life...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, i know a couple people who will be there, so i will be watching religiously. i'll keep an eye out for ya. personally, i think you're so lucky to be living in sydney right now.
    but, i live in calgary, so we got the games in 1988, but i was pretty young then, so i can't remember much.

------------------
    EBAS!!!!
    i know i would!!!
    i am a Dirty Faced Kid, although i do fancy myself a good lookin' fellow...
    AD for life...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies, Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

06.20.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Topic: Olympic Games!

I really enjoy watching as much of the games as I can get!

And I "really" like the USA men's basketball team!!!!

*MEN against boys*!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    The US team beat us in basketball practice team last night by about 20 points... funny that

The opening ceremony 'dress rehersal' went off well - apart from fireworks causing some scrubfires... And Juan Antonia Sameranch (one Anchovy Sandwich?) is pissed off because his bus never arived to take him to a meeting yesterday... he's also pissed off coz our goverment told a couple of team officials to stay at home, on the basis they were gangsters. Tough luck I say

Anyways, so far everythings cool in the week leading in.. back to work tommorrow with some new traffic restrictions, and all the visitors from interstate/overseas start to flood in, might start to notice some difference in the traffic

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man, i am pumped for the olympics. one of the few times i get to see my sport (swimmin) on tv. can't wait

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

juan antonio samaranch is a dickhead. he's drunk with power. next year, he was supposed to leave his seat as chair of ioc, but he changed the rules, so he didn't have to. there's just an example. anyway, enjoy your games, because i'm sure they will be awesome.

------------------
    EBAS!!!!
    i know i would!!!
    i am a Dirty Faced Kid, although i do fancy myself a good lookin' fellow...
    AD for life...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Relitivly quiet day in the olympic city today, as I type this the torch has entered the southern outskirts of Sydney, ready to be paraded all over town in the next few days. Last night it survived a kidnapping attempt, the villan of the piece making the mistake of trying to wrestle it off former surfing champ Tom Carrol, and ended up arse up in a ditch for his efforts.

For a good laugh have a look at www.silly2000.com , a parody of the official site, www.olympics.com

An Excerpt:

" President of the International Olympic Committee, Juan Antonio Samaranch, has come out in support of dope tests completed in the lead up the Sydney Olympic Games. After the tests, which were completed in Juan’s Regent Hotel room, Juan concluded that Australia had some ‘Grade A dope’.

“This is some great shit,” said a giggling Samaranch. “Smooth, no negative vibes. It made the Simpsons way funnier than usual.”

Whilst giving the thumbs after the dope tests Samaranch did admit that there would be higher costs involved for the IOC due to their stance on dope use.

“I got the munchies and finished everything in the mini-bar,” admitted the 72 year old retiring President. “Looking at the mini-bar prices I’d say that we will probably have to call off the 2004 Olympics, so it is lucky that the Greeks haven’t started doing anything yet.”

Dick Pound, the IOC Vice President, who also voiced his support for the dope tests said that he thought the President’s comment about the mini-bar was “fucking funny”. "

------------------

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited September 10, 2000 at 11:58 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    The torch relay passed by about one block from home, so I went AWOL from work for half hour and checked it out, quite a thrill to be honest I'll scan some pics when I get 'em back and post 'em up. Last night 50000 people met it at parramatta park in western Sydney... Predictions of half a million in the CBD tommorow night to greet it might be conservative!

Apparantly NBC (? - US broadcaster covering the games) has put together a pretty amazing package of sights and stories of Australia to play before the broadcasting of the opening ceremony (Thats gonna be Friday evening US time right? - its obviously delayed so I wont say anything lol). Its getting pretty damn exciting (still) here though, great fun

In IOC news, the worlds favorite mobile cocktail party has boarded itself up in its comendeered hotel in downtown Sydney, and decided not to talk to the media, except in official press conference situations. Apparantly they dont like the way the Aussie media works (ie - asking questions), so maybe Juan is draining the ole minibar as I type.

The games first events kickoff tonight in Melbourne, with Mens and womens soccer games, in front of about 90000 people, 2 nights b4 the opening ceremony.. Ticket sales are approaching 90% sold out, an olympic record

------------------

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited September 12, 2000 at 11:57 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Ooooooooooo

As an Australian, the opening ceremony was fantastic - I hope it translates well to the rest of the world, beacause it was VERY Australian

Noone here knew who or how the cauldron was to be lit... it was a suprise

------------------

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I only caught the highlights (too lazy to get up that early) but it looked amazing. You have every reason to be proud Goo.

BTW, there's a national magazine here in Canada that has an in depth article this week on the origins of Sydney. Very interesting.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Well I'm off to a basebal game today, cuba v South Africa - should be fun Pity I got the flu though

------------------

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think I'd put my nickel on Cuba in that one.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Yeh.. same here

the baseball stadiums only 20 minutes from home and tickets were only nineteen bucks, so its our cheap day at the olympics, next sunday we go to the main stadium for the athletics, so thats gnna be the real deal

------------------