Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I picked up a wireless card for the laptop, and a base station to hookup to the cable modem yesterday. Right now, I'm laying out in the backyard on my hammock! I've got the latest DLR boot downloading from the Army. Damn, this is great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anybody with a laptop should look into picking something like this up. Cost me about $220 total. Really simple to set up, too!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Now THAT sounds sweet! I was wireless to the network at the last job I held. Great for taking minutes from meeting to meeting and saving it straight up to the network folders. Havnt had the luxury at home though yet.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

That sounds great!

How's the speed?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I can't notice a difference in the speed so long as I've got a good signal strength. If you get too far away, it starts to degrade. Tops out at 11Mbps, which is faster than the cable modem can pull.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

But how's the security?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    I can't notice a difference in the speed so long as I've got a good signal strength. If you get too far away, it starts to degrade. Tops out at 11Mbps, which is faster than the cable modem can pull.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It presumably can't be any faster than your cable modem if that's where it's getting the signal?

Our entire building at work has a wireless network...and they very kindly gave me an IBM T20 notebook to use with it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The card is also rated at 11MBps but the fastest I've seen in tests is around 300kbps presumably because the bandwidth is shared with everyone else in the building. It's still very cool though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by billy007:
    But how's the security?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Enough that I'm comfortable with it. I saved $15 and got the 64-bit card instead of the 128-bit card. That's just the encryption of the signal itself though, not the actual data. If you go to a secure sight with 128-bit encryption, than your data is still at that level.

I'm not too worried about my neighbors grabbing packets from me. There's not too much I do on this thing that would interest anyone much. If I was in a corporate environment, I think I'd go for the stronger-encryption option.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:

It presumably can't be any faster than your cable modem if that's where it's getting the signal?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only in theory if I'm transferring something to one of my desktops. Now that I think about it, that's probably not true. I think the wireless hub has a 10Mbit port on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Our entire building at work has a wireless network...and they very kindly gave me an IBM T20 notebook to use with it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The card is also rated at 11MBps but the fastest I've seen in tests is around 300kbps presumably because the bandwidth is shared with everyone else in the building. It's still very cool though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Circumstances have to be just right for any kind of networking to reach its rated speed. Big files with low traffic will get you close. 300Kbps is pretty respectable. I was getting a combined 160-180Kbps last night grabbing those MP3s.

The roaming is pretty damn cool, isn't it? I'm planning on rolling it out though the entire new building we're moving into next year. Eventually we'll do away with fixed computer labs, and just have a few carts of laptops for the teachers to check out and use when they need them. That'll give us a couple of more classrooms, and more flexability when it comes to the computers.

Now I've just got to get a grant or two... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:

Circumstances have to be just right for any kind of networking to reach its rated speed. Big files with low traffic will get you close. 300Kbps is pretty respectable. I was getting a combined 160-180Kbps last night grabbing those MP3s.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

300 is the max I've seen. It's more usually around 200-220. True about hyperfast speeds on a LAN - though ethernet is usually 100MBps and now 1000MBps right?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
    The roaming is pretty damn cool, isn't it? I'm planning on rolling it out though the entire new building we're moving into next year. Eventually we'll do away with fixed computer labs, and just have a few carts of laptops for the teachers to check out and use when they need them. That'll give us a couple of more classrooms, and more flexability when it comes to the computers.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much what we're doing. The incoming students are required to have T20s which they can lease per semester - pretty much all our courses have been redesigned to have a computer component. Most course info/assignments etc is online too.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:

True about hyperfast speeds on a LAN - though ethernet is usually 100MBps and now 1000MBps right?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100Mbps has become the standard, and 1000Mbps is starting to emerge. I can see graphics shops or video-production benefitting from 1000Mbps, but the rest of us do tasks that don't even saturate a 10Mbps connection.