Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Scanners

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Need some info on scanners - specifically, what should be the minimum features I should be looking for. Should the day come that I actually decide to put together my own webpage, it's going to need photos, and in order to have photos, I'm going to have to be able to scan them. But there's so many different ones out there - I want the photos I use to look nice - wanna be able to enlarge or shrink and still have 'em look sharp. Wanna be able to scan photos for friends and relatives and have them look nice, perhaps even be printable and not look embarrassing. Is this all possible for a reasonable price, or am I asking for too much? Any recommendations?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

billy, I just bought a new Microtek ScanMaker 4800. Now, I don't consider them to be the top of the line manufacturer, but I've been very happy with it so far. Here's the cool thing - I got this bitch for only 99 bucks, and it came with a neg/slide adapter, it's got 2400 x 1200 dpi resolution and 48-bit color (both of which I would consider minimum for decent quality with what's on the market now), and they include a copy of Adobe's Photo Deluxe for tweaking your images. Photo Deluxe is no Photoshop, but it's made by the same company, and it's as good as or better than any other home software out there that's made for this purpose.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

We needed a new one for some light OCR work in one of our labs. After a lot of feature-comparison and thought, I went with a Canon that cost about $200. What sold me on it was that it runs entirely off the USB port (no extra powercords) and came with the software I needed.

Epson makes great scanners for photo work. That's just my impression from reading a bunch of comparisons, though. Have a look at www.cnet.com and you'll start to get a feel for things.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Well, wasn't expecting it, but I got a Scanport 3000 - says 600X1200 dpi and 48-bit colour. I'm sure it's not top of the line - but should I be okay with this?