Register
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

"Davey & Goliath": The Resurrection
    by Joal Ryan
    Aug 5, 2002, 2:35 PM PT

For any child of the '60s and '70s who ever longingly bellowed, "Oh, Daaaveeey!," your prayer has been answered.

"Daaaveeey" (or, simply, Davey) is back. His wise, talking-dog pal Goliath, too.

Plans are underway to revive Davey & Goliath, the curious, cult-fave stop-motion animated series with a moral (and, of course, a talking dog).

An all-new Davey & Goliath holiday special, to preach a lesson about religious tolerance with the help of Davey's two new friends (one a Jew, the other a Muslim, natch), could be ready as soon as spring 2003, says the Reverend Eric Shafer, spokesman for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, which controls the franchise.

It is hoped that production on 13 new half-hour programs (or, in the Davey tradition, 26 15-minute-long stories) will follow, with the new episodes hitting the air by 2004.

The original Davey & Goliath, produced by the United Lutheran Church of America (a previous incarnation of the church) and created by animation legends Art and Ruth Clokey (the team that made Gumby more than just a little green clump of clay), was a staple of Sunday morning TV during the 1960s and 1970s.

The original 65 episodes (plus four specials, including the Very Special Halloween Who-Dun-It) were made from 1960-1971. Somewhere in the nether regions of the cable universe, they continue to be seen today.

"Everybody has somebody who grew up on Davey," says Shafer.

The only continent, in fact, which has remained a Davey & Goliath-free zone during the past four decades is Antarctica.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church, headquartered in Chicago, is looking to raise $4-5 million to produce the new episodes.

To be sure, it hasn't been difficult to raise interest in Davey & Goliath of late. The characters have their own Website, www.daveyandgoliath.org (the better to serve your bobblehead and T-shirt needs). And in February, li'l Davey Hansen and his pet pooch (heard only by Davey himself) were "born again" (as one Lutheran publication itself cracked) in a 30-second spot for the secular soda pop Mountain Dew.

Shafer concedes the church took "a little heat" for letting Davey "do the Dew" (and, more likely, for uttering the word "hosed," as in, "We got hosed.") But the ad brought in money, and helped jumpstart the revival series after more than a year of serious efforts.

And, in the end, was the commercial really any less, well, strange than the original series itself?

"I remember as a young person that it was silly and wonderful and at the same time...even a little weird," Shafer says, "but it was fascinating."

Of course, to Shafer, the most important thing about the show was--and is--its "basic [message] of God's love for children." That message won't change in the new episodes, even some other things will.

For its time, Davey was a progressive series. In the charged era of school busing and desegregation, Davey's best friend was Jonathan Reed, a black boy. And our young hero dealt with dicey issues like guns.

In the 21st century, Shafer says Davey will wrestle with alcohol and drugs, violence, even terrorism. Women, not a big part of the original series, "will have a higher profile."

But in the end, Davey & Goliath will remain Davey & Goliath.

Says Shafer: "Davey gets in trouble. Mom and Dad help him out. Goliath acts as his conscience."

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by FH:

An all-new Davey & Goliath holiday special, to preach a lesson about religious tolerance with the help of Davey's two new friends (one a Jew, the other a Muslim, natch), could be ready as soon as spring 2003, says the Reverend Eric Shafer, spokesman for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, which controls the franchise.
    I used to watch this when I was a kid on Sunday mornings, mainly because there was nothing else on.

Hopefully Davey's Muslim friend will want to became a Navy SEAL and go to Afghanistan and kill Al-Queda, but I doubt it.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    I used to watch this when I was a kid on Sunday mornings, mainly because there was nothing else on.
    Ditto. It definitely reminds me of those carefree days of my youth. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use to love that show as a kid!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

YES! It should be entitled "Goliath - The Return of Hairy Ass." These guys ruled! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I was but a wee little tyke when I saw this last. :sentimentalmomenthere:
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album