Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Guterman Helming The Mask Follow-up
    Sunday, August 11, 2002 9:52 CDT

Larry Guterman (Cats & Dogs) has been tapped by New Line Cinema to direct the studio's follow-up to the 1994 Jim Carrey starrer The Mask, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Guterman is in negotiations to develop and direct the project, titled Son of the Mask. It is not being billed as a sequel, just a second installment of the franchise that not only helped launch the career of Carrey but also that of Cameron Diaz.

The follow-up, which neither Carrey nor Diaz is expected to return for, carries on with the premise of a character-altering mask. This time around, though, it follows Tim Avery, an aspiring cartoonist who is not ready for fatherhood but finds himself raising a baby endowed with the powers of the mask of Loki.

Lance Khazei (Romantic Comedy) penned the screenplay.

[ August 14, 2002, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Petty Directing Mimic Sentinel
    Sunday, August 11, 2002 8:14 CDT

Variety reports that indie filmmaker J.T. Petty (Soft for Digging) has signed on to write and direct the low-budget feature Mimic Sentinel for Dimension Films.

The sci-fi horror project, sequel to the original Mimic, concerns a sickly 24-year-old man, confined to a bubble apartment room due to his severe asthma, who learns that the Judas Breed monster roaches that terrorized society are back with a vengeance and preying on the inhabitants of his apartment complex.

"Sentinel" is scheduled to start shooting in October for approximately four weeks in Romania. We assume this film will have a theatrical release - as you may know there's also a seperate sequel to Mimic that went directly to DVD & Video

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BLACK CROWES' CHRIS ROBINSON Speaks Out On Possibility Of Future Reunion - Aug. 12, 2002

BLACK CROWES frontman Chris Robinson says that he's open to resuming work with the CROWES (who are currently on a "hiatus"), but only if the group is doing it for the right reasons: "I would hate to wake up and be in the BLACK CROWES just to go out and make music because we had a couple of popular records in the '90s — 'cause we have nothing else to do. I don't think that would be any good. So eventually, if it comes down to it's something that's vital to everybody, and it's...Then it would be good, but until then...."

According to Robinson, working on his first solo album, New Earth Mud — due out this fall on Redline Entertainment — has kept him from spending too much time worrying about the CROWES' future: "I haven't really thought about it. I've been so busy since we got off the road getting this together, and just getting into music. Even just getting in a van and driving around, and doing some of these gigs, and doing the couple little jams I did in Malibu, it was just energizing."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

THE SCORPIONS: DVD Details Unveiled - Aug. 10, 2002

THE SCORPIONS are scheduled to release a DVD, entitled A Savage Crazy World, on August 27th. The DVD will contain the following footage:

***Live Tracks:

(Live in Berlin, Crazy World Tour 1991)
    01. Bad Boys Running Wild
    02. Hit Between The Eyes
    03. I Can't Explain
    04. The Zoo
    05. Rhythm of Love
    06. Crazy World
    07. Can't Live Without You
    08. Blackout
    09. Dynamite
    10. Lust or Love
    11. Big City Nights
    12. Rock You Like A Hurricane

***Music Videos:

01. Rhythm of Love (uncensored version)
    02. Believe In Love (Russian version)
    03. Walking On The Edge (Russian version)
    04. Rock You Like A Hurricane (Russian version & original version)
    05. Still Loving You
    06. Passion Rules The Game (uncensored version)
    07. Tease Me Please Me
    08. Don't Believe Her
    09. Send Me An Angel
    10. Wind of Change

***Bonus Music Videos:

01. Alien Nation
    02. Holiday
    03. No One Like You (original version)
    04. I'm Leaving You

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Gary Foster, producer of the Daredevil movie, told The Continuum there will be two previews of the film in theaters this fall.
    "We are preparing a new teaser that we intend to release in September," Foster told The Continuum. "It will show another level of what Daredevil will be. I expect it will highlight his blindness and how he deals with it -- visual effects shots.
    "Of course, we will continue to build up the full trailer that should be ready around November."
    Foster, along with producer Avi Arad, director Mark Steven Johnson and star Ben Affleck, appeared at Comic-Con International in San Diego last weekend.
    "It's my favorite character," Johnson said. "I'm really glad to be a part of this."
    Affleck reiterated a desire to make the movie true to the comic book.
    "I thought I had, I was pretty sure I had and I then went back and made sure I had read every issue of Daredevil ever published," Affleck said. "It was more about taking what I already knew and had been a fan of since I was a kid and faithfully delivering that to the screen."
    Johnson put together a presentation that he said no one, not even anyone at Fox, had seen before.
    The clip started with a montage of the origin story. It included a fork lift slicing open a barrel of radioactive materials, causing Matt Murdock's blindness; Matt at his father's boxing match as he wears a robe with red horns; and his father's murder.
    It then cuts to present time, with Daredevil uncannily unlocking three combination locks all at once to enter what appears to be a safehouse, with extra costumes and billy clubs. He takes off his mask and opens a cabinet full of pain pills. He takes the pain pills and then emerges himself in a sensory deprivation chamber.
    Then it cuts to Kevin Smith's Jack Kirby character saying, "Are you ready to see something really cool?" and the action kicks in. There are fight scenes with Daredevil, Elektra and Bullseye, with Bullseye about kill Elektra as a helpless Daredevil cries out.

www.comicscontinuum.com

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Sneak Peek at Storm's New Hairdo in Xmen 2 Click Here

[ August 12, 2002, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Ever since their self-titled debut album came out in 1984, Bon Jovi have churned out songs about the triumphs and struggles of young working-class America. It's where Jon Bon Jovi and his bandmates came from, and for many years the singer's experiences and dreams provided abundant subject matter for rousing anthems and heartfelt ballads.

But when former common folk turn into superstars, sometimes it's hard for them to really still empathize with the everyman. That might explain why on his band's new album, Bounce, due October 8, Jon Bon Jovi has once again tapped into what he knows, and it's a combination of what's real and what's ideal.

This time he's not only crooning about working the nine-to-five, growing older and staying true to oneself. He's also getting inspired by what he's seen on TV and in the movies. Considering the political volatility that occurred during the disc's creation, he couldn't help but address what he saw on the news in the wake of September 11. The title Bounce comes from the idea of bouncing back after a tragedy and re-emerging stronger, wiser and more resilient than before. And the leadoff track, "Undivided," is specifically about the World Trade Center attacks.

"That was my brother lost in the rubble/ That was my sister lost in the crush/ That was our mothers, those were our children/ That was our fathers, that was each of us," he sings. But like his pal and idol Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi doesn't dwell on the misery; instead, he examines the good that can come out of such evil. "Where we once were divided, now we stand united," he sings over a rousing chorus.

Other songs were more directly culled from Hollywood. The title "You Had Me From Hello" borrowed from a line in the movie "Jerry Maguire," and the Meatloaf-like love song "Open All Night" is based on the fictional relationship his character in "Ally McBeal" had with the heroine of the show.

All kinds of emotions stir through Bounce. While the album is hopeful and romantic throughout, some of the songs are angry and aggressive, reflecting the turbulence and tension that exists in the world today. However, the loud tracks aren't just punchy commercial metal, they're also forward-thinking, suggesting that Jon was tuning into modern rock radio between tapings of "Ally McBeal."

The opening riff in "Undivided" sounds a lot like Weezer's "Hash Pipe," the tweaked, ragged guitars and electronic embellishments on "Everyday" are more than a little like Garbage, and the raw, precise riffery and exultant "I know you can do it, c'mon!" vocals of "Hook Me Up" are reminiscent of the Cult. Of course, all three tracks also feature elements of vintage Bon Jovi, including gradually building dynamics, dramatic vocals and infectious refrains, resulting in a style that introduces listeners to new sounds without jarring them out of their headphones.

No Bon Jovi record is complete without sweeping ballads, and Bounce has several. There's the poignant piano and stirring strings of "Hey Joey," the reflective, lighter-raiser "All About Loving You" and the breathing rhythms and ringing guitars of "Open All Night." Of course, there's plenty of ground between the two extremes, like the exultant mid-paced rocker "The Distance," and "Misunderstood," which simultaneously jangles, grooves and rocks.

Once again, Bon Jovi have created a record that pinpoints the passions, drives and points of interest of their audience, even though the band's frontman is drawing less from personal recollections to help achieve that end.

—Jon Wiederhorn

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

JOE PERRY: AEROSMITH Will Record Blues Album During Winter - Aug. 12, 2002

AEROSMITH will spend the winter following the completion of their current North American tour recording a blues album, a concept that has been dear lead guitarist Joe Perry's heart for years, the 51-year-old axeman told CNN.com. The CD's release will be followed by a tour of intimate U.S. venues and a trek through Europe.

In other news, Perry has just launched a line of condiments called Joe Perry's Rock Your World Boneyard Brew Hot Sauce. He is also starting his own record label, tentatively called Boneyard Records. Its first signing will be THE PORCH GHOULS, a Memphis-based group he described as "a cross between early LED ZEPPELIN and the (country-themed) 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' record on steroids."
    View/Post Comments (4

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ROB HALFORD: "I'd Like To Make A Black Metal Album With EMPEROR's IHSAHN" - Aug. 12, 2002

Former JUDAS PRIEST and current HALFORD frontman Rob Halford has sensationally revealed to Revolver magazine that he has aspirations to collaborate on an album with ex-EMPEROR singer Ihsahn.

"I'd like to make a black metal record with Ihsahn from EMPEROR," Halford responded when asked to name a musical project he'd like to do that he hasn't yet done. "I don' know when or how it's going to happen, but I'd really like to do that at some point. It'd be something different."
    View/Post Comments (23

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

GUNS N' ROSES: "Chinese Democracy" To See Light Of Day In November? - Aug. 12, 2002

GUNS N' ROSES will release their long-awaited new album, Chinese Democracy, in November, according to promoter Tommy Pratama, who is in negotiation to bring GNR to Indonesia early next year.

Pratama told Australia's Undercover that he was initially talking about touring the band next month but they have decided to move dates to January/February 2003 to promote the new album. Tommy will not be handling the Australian leg of the tour but he will be in charge for the Indonesian concert following the Australian dates.

GUNS 'N' ROSES have shows scheduled in Hong Kong and Japan next week and England and Belgium later this month.
    View/Post Comments (27)

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Wolfgang Petersen Takes on Troy Epic
    Tuesday, August 13, 2002 12:55 CDT

Wolfgang Petersen has signed on to direct and produce the epic Troy for Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures. According to Variety, production is slated to begin in spring 2003. The director remains committed to directing the studio's Batman vs. Superman, a project that had previously been targeted to a 2004 release.

"Of these two projects I have developed at Warner Bros., I had hoped to make 'Troy' first and am pleased that the scheduling worked out that way," Petersen said. "I'm looking forward to directing 'Batman vs. Superman' in the future."

Troy is an adaptation of classic "The Iliad," a story set against the Trojan War and the rivalry between Achilles and Hector. The studio will likely focus first on casting Achilles. David Benioff (The 25th Hour) wrote the screenplay.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Set For 'SNL' Season Opener
    08/12/2002

(8/12/02, 6 p.m. ET) -- He may be on the road, but that doesn't mean Bruce Springsteen is quelling the media blitz in support of his new album, The Rising. With an appearance on the MTV Music Video Awards set for August 29, Springsteen is also planning to perform on NBC's Saturday Night Live on October 5, opening the late-night show's 28th season.

It will mark Springsteen's second SNL appearance, but his first with the E Street Band--his 1992 shot to support his albums Human Touch and Lucky Town was with players who were part of his touring band at that time.

The guest host for the SNL season opener has not been announced.

Springsteen's tour continues Wednesday (August 14) at Gund Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

-- Gary Graff, Detroit

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

NEWS - Rolling Stones Set 'Forty Licks' Career Retrospective For October
    08/12/2002

(8/12/02, 4 p.m. ET) -- The Rolling Stones release a new career retrospective on September 23 in Japan, September 30 in other territories outside North America, and October 1 in North America. Called Forty Licks, the two-CD set features a total of 40 songs--36 that have been digitally remastered from the band's catalogue, along with four newly recorded songs. The collection is due from Virgin Records.

The set's first single is called "Don't Stop," and it's one of the new songs that were laid down earlier this year in Paris with producer Don Was overseeing the sessions. Bassist Darryl Jones and keyboardist Chuck Leavell were also in on the recording process. The track will ship August 23, with September 9 set as the date it will impact at radio.

A tracklisting for Forty Licks was unavailable at press time, but LAUNCH has learned that Disc One will include "Gimme Shelter," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Get Off My Cloud," "Ruby Tuesday," and "Paint It Black"; while Disc Two has "Start Me Up," "Brown Sugar," "Miss You," and "Happy."

The set's two discs will pay homage to the band's history by bearing different labels. Disc One is on the ABKCO label, the Stones' home in the '60s, while Disc Two features the Virgin logo, for whom the band currently records.

The Rolling Stones kick off their 40th anniversary tour on September 3 at the FleetCenter in Boston.

-- Bruce Simon, New York

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

METALLICA's LARS ULRICH: New Album Should Be Done Before End Of 2002 - Aug. 13, 2002

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich stopped by the chat room at the band's freshly-launched Jump in the Studio web site yesterday and addressed several issues regarding the group's current status during a real-time discussion with several of the band's fans. Among the points Ulrich made during his brief appearance in the chat room were the following:

* METALLICA's new album should be done this year, but the band want absolutely no deadlines to deal with. An early 2003 release is likely.

* Frontman James Hetfield is back in full swing following a rehab stint last year — "more so than ever."

* METALLICA are really going to evaluate what they are choosing to include on the CD this time around, as opposed to how they did things in the past approach when they were a little too arrogant in believing every song they made should be put on the album.

* The new album will most likely NOT be a double disc.

* Lars doesn't see any way producer/fill-in bassist Bob Rock will be joining the band on a full-time basis.

* Bringing in a new bass player could have disrupted things during the songwriting/recording process for the new album, so METALLICA decided to just stick with the closely-developed relationships they've already established.

* The band will not be breaking up after this album, or anytime soon.

* Lars wants to hit every location possible once they begin touring for the new album.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Chris Tucker is in final negotiations to play Inspector Clouseau in a "Pink Panther" remake....