Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Matt Sharp, founding bassist for Weezer, has filed a lawsuit against his former bandmates, their ex-manager and a slew of band accountants seeking compensation and credit for songs on Weezer's first two albums.

At the heart of the lawsuit lies a catalog of some of Weezer's most beloved songs, including their first single, "Undone (The Sweater Song)," as well as most of their album Pinkerton ("Tired of Sex," "Getchoo," "No Other One," "Why Bother?," "Across the Sea," "The Good Life," "El Scorcho," "Pink Triangle," "Falling for You") and a handful of B-sides ("You Gave Your Love to Me Softly," "I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams" and "Devotion"). Sharp also claims co-production credit on a Weezer rarity, "American Girls," that appeared on the soundtrack to Disney's "Meet the Deedles."

Sharp formed Weezer in 1992 with Rivers Cuomo, Pat Wilson and Jason Cropper but left in 1998 because "differences had arisen among [the bandmembers]," according to the suit. However, Sharp's suit claims he continued to participate in the "Weezer partnership" after his departure. Sharp says he had intended to participate in the band's video shoot for "Island in the Sun" after his replacement, bassist Mikey Welsh, left and that he was consulted by Cuomo about songs that appeared on Weezer's third, self-titled LP, known as the Green Album.

Sharp filed the federal lawsuit in U.S. District Court, Central District of California on April 18 specifically seeking a redress of fiduciary duty, legal malpractice, dissolution of partnership, declaratory relief and accounting under the copyright act. In layman's terms, that amounts to an audit of Weezer's royalty payments to Sharp, a redrafting of Sharp's royalties on the contested songs, and an official settlement of his role in Weezer.

The suit says Cuomo had acknowledged the need to work out royalty payments as recently as April 2001, when the singer wrote Sharp an e-mail saying: "Looks like we're gonna start making money again, so we (you and I) had better get this thing squared away sooner rather than later so the money flows to all the right places without getting hitched up." Sharp has attached no dollar amount to his damages claim, insisting that an audit must be conducted first.

The band told MTV News, "The allegations brought against Weezer by Matt Sharp are completely without merit. Rather than address this at length in the press, we will use the proper venue, a court of law."

The case will be presided over by Judge James W. McMahon. No trial date has been set. The band offered no comment on the possibility of an out of court settlement.

After leaving Weezer, Sharp went on to head his side project, the Rentals, full-time. But since 1999, he has stayed mostly incognito as a celebrated rock recluse. That is until surfacing last week to file suit against his former bandmates. Weezer's fourth album, Maladroit, hits stores May 14.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pitch Black 2 Starts Filming This Year
    Wednesday, April 24, 2002 8:52 CDT

Variety reports that "Pitch Black 2" is well on its way to being filmed this year:

That investment seems small when contemplating what Universal faces in its sequel to another blockbuster, "The Fast and the Furious." Rumors are already rife that Vin Diesel will seek near $20 million to reprise his role as hunky street racer Dominic Toretto.

While studio sources deny negotiations have even begun, Diesel figures to have much leverage thanks to "XXX," the extreme sports secret agent film he just shot for Revolution and "Furious" director Rob Cohen and producer Neal Moritz that figures to score this summer with the same action-hungry demo that turned "Furious" into such a hit.

Universal initially balked at Diesel's $12.5 million asking price for the Radar-produced "Pitch Black" sequel "The Chronicles of Riddick" before eventually ponying up for that sequel, which will begin production later this year. Diesel and his reps have proved to be gutsy negotiators, which prompted the studio to go to the trouble of commissioning two "Furious" scripts, one of which was a prequel that could be made without Diesel if his sequel salary proved prohibitive.

Latest word is that the Diesel-fueled sequel script is the one Universal is high on. Of course, Diesel's "Furious" co-star Paul Walker will also be looking at a major payday as he mulls an encore in his undercover cop role.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FILTER's RICHARD PATRICK: New Album Is "Absolutely Perfect" - Apr. 25, 2002

FILTER have set August 6th as the release date of their long-awaited The Amalgamut CD through Reprise Records. Says mainman Richard Patrick: “Last Saturday night I went to [producer] Rae Dileo's house for a party that was held in my honor for finishing the 3rd record. After a couple of beers, we put on the entire record from start to finish and there was not one thing I would change after listening to it. It is absolutely perfect, this record took 18 months to make, a lot of blood sweat and tears went into it and I can now say that it will be out in stores August 6th. I can't tell you how much I've grown as a person just from the experience and I definitely think it's the best FILTER record so far. So don't go downloading my sh.t, go out August 6th and make your voices be heard as FILTER fans — buy this record and put it in your CD player, the only thing I want to do on this planet is make kids heads move — that's what my job is. I get so much pleasure every time I go out to the store or a bar or to a movie theater, and there's some kid that that wants my autograph or loves the music and that's what gratifying about my life. Right now I'm one of only about 5 people who has the completed record. I feel bad because I want to get it out to you as soon as I can, but the record company has to do their thing with preparation and such, but I guarantee it'll be worth the wait and it's been an absolute blast to make.”

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FU MANCHU Frontman Walks Off Stage In Greece After Being Hit By "Lit Cigarette" - Apr. 25, 2002

FU MANCHU singer/guitarist Scott Hill has issued the following statement regarding the abrupt ending to the second of the group's recent two shows in Greece:

“There was about 800 people there having a good time. About three sh.theads thought it would be cool to throw beer at the band. OK, whatever. We can handle that. I just pointed out the sh.theads and told them to f.ck off. We kept playing. We did our set, about 15 songs. Said thanks and left the stage. We had a good time. It was a really good show. We come back out, and we were going to play 'Evil Eye' and 'Godzilla'. We start to play 'Evil Eye', and a lit cigarette lands on my arm. I look at it on my arm, I stopped playing, said 'F.ck you,' and we left. Simple. We will be going back to Greece to play for sure. We dig it there. The 2 shows there were a lot of fun, and we did have a good time playing. We just travelled a long way and had no sleep for 48 hours just to play the show. So we got a little pissed. We will be back though.”

FU MANCHU will perform the following shows in Australia and New Zealand during May/June:

May 30 - Sydney, AUST @ The Metro
    May 31 - Brisbane, AUST @ Waterloo
    Jun. 01 - Melbourne, AUST @ Hi Fi
    Jun. 04 - Perth, AUST @ Lookout
    Jun. 06 - Auckland, NZ @ Power Station

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MONSTER MAGNET Announce Spring Tour - Apr. 24, 2002

MONSTER MAGNET will embark on the We're Free 25-date spring tour beginning May 3rd in Boston. Support will come from NYC rockers ADHARMA, featuring Tom Capone, formerly of QUICKSAND. Confirmed dates so far are as follows:

May 03 - Boston, MA @ Axis
    May 04 - Clifton Park, NY @ Northern Lights
    May 05 - Manchester, NH @ Chantilly's
    May 06 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
    May 08 - Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre Of Living Arts
    May 09 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    May 10 - Sea Bright, NJ @ Tradewinds
    May 11 - Hartford, CT @ Webster Theatre
    May 13 - Providence, RI @ Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel
    May 14 - Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock Cafe
    May 15 - Northampton, MA @ Pearl Street
    May 16 - Plainview, NY @ The Vanderbilt
    May 18 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Club Laga
    May 19 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
    May 21 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
    May 22 - Chicago, IL @ Metro / Smart Bar
    May 23 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
    May 25 - St. Louis, MO @ The Galaxy
    May 26 - Urbana, IL @ Canopy Club
    May 27 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
    May 28 - Indianapolis, IN @ The Vogue
    May 29 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's

MONSTER MAGNET recently parted ways with longtime label A&M Records (hence the tour's tongue-in-cheek title) and are currently writing material for their next effort, due in 2003 through an as-yet-undetermined company. Commented mainman Dave Wyndorf: “Living through the demise of my former label home, A&M Records, it became apparent that my indentured servitude was within a setting where I was simply misunderstood. MONSTER MAGNET will live forever and mark my words, from the moment of this transmission, within 6 months, 6 days and 6 hours, we will announce our future home. Please wait patiently until the clock strikes 666. Until then, see you on the road.”

View/Post Comments (4)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

GUNS N' ROSES Confirmed For Japan's SUMMER SONIC Festival - Apr. 24, 2002

The current incarnation of GUNS N' ROSES—featuring vocalist Axl Rose as the sole remaining original member—has reportedly been confirmed to appear at the Summer Sonic festival, which is scheduled to take place on Friday, August 17th and Saturday, August 18th in the Japanese cities of Tokyo and Osaka. GNR will apparently perform two shows—one in each city—and will receive top billing at the event, which will also include appearances by THE OFFSPRING, NOFX, ANDREW WK, DISTURBED, HOOBASTANK, RAGING SPEEDHORN, THE HIVES, and RIVAL SCHOOLS, among others. For more information (in Japanese), visit the official Summer Sonic web site at this location.

View/Post Comments (11)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Lemmy"—The Movie To Receive Los Angeles Premiere - Apr. 24, 2002

Legendary documentary filmmaker Peter Sempel will premiere his latest film, Lemmy—apparently based on the life of MOTÖRHEAD's Lemmy—during a retrospective of his films and photographs, which is being held in Los Angeles this week.

The show is being held at the Goethe Institut German Cultural Center at 5750 Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. The Lemmy film—which has reportedly been years in the making—screens on Thursday, May 2nd at 7:00 PM. In addition, on April 28th, there will be a screening of another of Peter's films, Nina Hagen — Punk & Glory, which also features the MOTÖRHEAD mainman.

View/Post Comments (1)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone familiar with the 20-year career of industrial metal band Ministry knows that if you try to set your watch to the group's album-release schedule you'll never be on time for anything — much like band conductors Al Jourgensen and Paul Barker. In other words, just because Ministry have entered the studio to record doesn't necessarily mean they'll have a new album under their belts before the apocalypse.

"For the past five albums, we've been trying to beat the gestation period of the blue whale, which is 14 months," Jourgensen said Tuesday afternoon from Barker's home in Austin, Texas. "And we have yet to beat that blue whale."

Considering Ministry have just released the live album Sphinctour, the band's true fans probably figure they'll have to wait until the next Winter Olympics for new product, though Jourgensen, who has always thrived on unpredictability, said Ministry devotees should soon be flying high.

"This time, that little blue whale pup is f---ed because we're gonna do it in two-and-a-half months or my name isn't Orville Redenbacker," he said.

And Ministry have another surprise up their dirt-encrusted sleeves. Their next album, Animositisomina, which is scheduled for a fall release, will be their fastest and heaviest offering since 1992's Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs. The band has foregone the stark, doom-laden tempos of recent LPs in favor of the storming, electro-fueled chaos of classics such as "Stigmata," "Burning Inside" and "N.W.O."

"This new record is harder than getting hit over the head with a shovel full of cement," Jourgensen said. "The title is the word 'animosity' spelled forward and backwards, so it's animosity through and through. We only have one song that's even sort of slow, so it's definitely all too fast for a Boca Raton retirement community. I'm pretty amazed by it all considering we're all in our 70s."

Jourgensen said the songs on Animositisomina are injected with a level of rage and rancor Ministry haven't felt in nearly a decade. He credits the renewed degree of hatred to a number of social, environmental and business factors.

"We're just pissed," Jourgensen explained. "We're a bunch of old, cranky men now. It's lyrically all autobiographical and it's about relationships over the long term and the short term. I've moved back to Texas and experienced a lot of things in my life that have gotten me pretty cranky — enough to chase the kids off my lawn, anyway. I yell at them when they interrupt 'Wheel of Fortune.' "

"Punk rock inspired us not because of the music, but because of the attitude, and we're still punk rockers," Barker added. "The world is still f---ed up and our society is completely hypocritical. There's still plenty to be enraged about."

At present, Ministry have five songs almost finished, including "Animositisomina," "Crucial Bitch" and "Impossible," and another seven in a lesser state of completion. Unlike past records, which were completely created in the studio, the bandmembers wrote and workshopped Animositisomina from their Texas homes.

"Usually we just go into the studio when we're out of money to pay rent," Jourgensen jested. "All of a sudden we say, 'Well, I guess we better do something,' so we go in and things just come out. But now technology has made it so you can really get it to sound at home like it would in the studio. So basically, technology has caught up with our decrepit way of working."

Ministry's creative output has been assisted not only by their new surroundings, but by their revised work ethic. Before, the studio was a mad scientist's laboratory teeming with piles of samples, loops and demos. This time, the band feels more in control.

"We just let rip without whatever preconceived notions we may have had before," Barker said. "In the past we would specifically not want to do 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' 'D,' 'E' or 'F.' We knew exactly what we didn't want to do, but then what was left? Also, we used to try to apply every sound in our 20-year library to each individual song to see what worked. We're not doing that anymore, so it's a lot more streamlined."

"The songs have been popping out of us like crazy," Jourgensen added. "It's like in the old Catskills when they used to write 50,000 songs for the old Borscht Belt."

Maybe Ministry's recent productivity also has something to do with Jourgensen's current bill of health. In the past, he's lived on the edge, documenting his battles with drugs in songs such as "Just One Fix," and album titles like Dark Side of the Spoon. Today, he claims to be living a more salubrious and sober existence.

"I'm not gonna say I've found God or anything," he joked. "You don't have to worry about having some kind of Ministry Christian album. But I've just learned where my boundaries are. I'm definitely a survivor at this point. Cockroaches, Texans and me are what's gonna survive after a nuclear war."

He and Barker exchanged chortles, then Jourgensen addressed the argument that says drugs can sometimes be a creative aid. "It's good to be able to find a creative place," he said. "But if you keep having to depend on [drugs] to get you there, you haven't learned anything, have you? Now I don't have to do any kind of massive substance pile to get there. I'm already there."

—Jon Wiederhorn

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

David Self Adapting Marvel's Sub-Mariner
    Friday, April 26, 2002 1:14 CDT

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel is quickly moving forward on another comic property, "The Sub-Mariner," which is at Universalwith the currently filming "The Hulk".

In a seven-figure deal, screenwriter David Self has been hired to adapt and executive produce "Sub-Mariner," which Marvel Studios president Avi Arad is producing with Kevin Misher's studio-based Misher Films.

"Sub-Mariner" follows the adventures of Prince Namor, a half-man/half-amphibian creature from Atlantis. A troubled rebel with a short temper, he has helped the human race and fought against it when humankind polluted his underwater kingdom with waste.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

PLANET US To Perform At CALIFORNIA MUSIC AWARDS? - Apr. 26, 2002

PLANET US, the side project band featuring Michael Anthony (bass—VAN HALEN), Neal Schon (guitar—JOURNEY), Sammy Hagar (vocals—ex-VAN HALEN), and Deen Castronovo (drums—JOURNEY), may get up on stage and perform a song or two at the 2002 California Music Awards this Saturday, April 27th at the Henry J. Kaiser Arena in Oakland, California, according to Anthony's official web site. As previously reported, the event will include a full live performance from Hagar, who will be embarking on a US co-headlining tour with fellow ex-VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth at the end of May.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ROB ZOMBIE: Taking The Music Back - Apr. 26, 2002

ROB ZOMBIE will go to court in mid-July to settle a dispute with Mazda Trucks over the unauthorized use of the singer's music in the company's commercial two years ago. Mazda apparently used music from ZOMBIE's Hellbilly Deluxe album without ROB's permission or knowledge and it infuriated the vocalist, who has never intended to allow his songs to be used for any such purpose.

“They [Mazda and the Doner advertising agency] don't seem to understand that once the cat's out of the bag it's hard to get him back in there,” ZOMBIE is quoted as saying on Australia's Radio Undercover. “It's like [my policy is] 'I don't do this' and then there's a car commercial running on television with my music. How do you explain to every kid that you didn't sell out and didn't do exactly what you said you weren't going to do? Basically it's a question of what your reputation is worth. And Mazda takes it so lightly — like, 'Oh, whatever.' And I just don't see it that way.

“Someone like BRITNEY SPEARS doesn't have any integrity to maintain so it doesn't matter — she's a corporate puppet from the get-go. But for people who AREN'T, it's different. I don't want to play that song live and see the kids go,'Hey! It's the truck song!' Corporate America doesn't understand that some people actually have values about things. Everything isn't for sale.'”

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Girls of Summer," the midtempo song Aerosmith debuted on mtvICON will be one of at least two new songs on a greatest-hits collection due June 25.

Another new track, "Bad Enough," will also be included. Both songs were written in Hawaii last month by vocalist Steven Tyler, guitarist Joe Perry and Marti Frederiksen, who wrote, produced and co-wrote the band's last record, 2001's Just Push Play.The still-untitled two-disc set will include hits from the band's years on Geffen and Columbia.

The upcoming album won't be the only Aerosmith-related double-disc to hit shelves this year. Drummer Joey Kramer has just released a set called Aerosmith's Joey Kramer Drum Loops and Samples on East/West that retails for approximately $150. The collection features 80 tracks of beats that DJs can sample without having to pay a licensing fee. While none are from the band's back catalog, there are funk, ballad and rock beats that sound similar to Aerosmith songs. Kramer has also created a 10-CD version for the comprehensive DJ beat collector.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They've delved into disturbing subject matter many times before, but with their new video for "Here to Stay," Korn make their most direct and pointed commentary on sex and violence to date.

The clip, which views like a graphic channel-surfing journey between CNN and the Discovery Channel, depicts a boy in front of a television broadcasting rapid-fire images, including a mob tipping over a car, fires, car collisions, open-heart surgery, animals mating and crocodiles attacking prey. Throughout, the band is depicted in black-and-white against a wall of TV static. In the end, the boy touches the TV screen and disappears "Poltergeist"-style.

The video was directed by Albert and Allen Hughes, who have created a number of visceral films including "From Hell," "Dead Presidents" and "Menace II Society." The way the scenes in "Here to Stay" are piled atop one another is gritty and somewhat jarring, though the video is far from gratuitous, coming across as a crystalline example of art imitating life.

"This is what we subject ourselves to every day, and our children are subjected to it as well," Korn frontman Jonathan Davis said early this week in Los Angeles. "It seems like parents forget and leave their kids in front on their TV so they are babysat by the TV. And this is what kids are taught."

Davis said he isn't surprised that today's youth sometimes commits belligerent and even sociopathic acts considering how the media so vividly depicts the turmoil and chaos of conflicts in places such as Afghanistan and Israel and the brutality of the many murders and rapes that occur in our own backyards.

"This is how it is, and I don't think adults should be surprised when kids go blow each other up and kill each other," Davis said. "All our children are being brought up seeing 9/11 terrorist attacks and things, so I don't see why people say things like, 'Oh, what's wrong with our kids?' I mean, we've done it to ourselves. And nothing's going to change and there's nothing we can do. People should wake up to it and stop living in the '50s."

Although "Here to Stay" is clearly a scathing commentary on contemporary America, Davis stressed that it's merely a wake-up call, not a cry for action. More than anything, he doesn't want anyone to interpret it as any sort of edict for suppressed viewing.

"I don't think parents should supervise what children watch," Davis insisted. "I think kids should be subjected to violence. And parents should be parents, and tell their kids, 'OK, this is what goes on in the world. Don't be part of it.'"

Davis has similar views about children being exposed to sexual content. "I don't think they should grow up believing the human body is negative," he said. "Not that they should watch graphic pornography, but we're so uptight in this country. In Europe they have commercials with females and males nude. What's wrong with being nude? It's who we are."

Korn came up with the treatment for "Here to Stay" and asked the Hughes Brothers to direct because they were huge fans of "Menace II Society" and "Dead Presidents." They filmed the video in Los Angeles in a warehouse room full of giant television screens.

"We had to rent twice of what U2 did on their Zoo TV Tour," Davis said. "It was insane. But the Hughes Brothers were the coolest guys in the world and we loved working with them. They let us do what we wanted and they know how to shoot us. They were the easiest guys to work with. It went so well I want them to do a director's cut where it's more violent."

The Hughes' expert editing and camera work are what makes the "Here to Stay" video so powerful. On one level, the marriage of Korn and the two directors seems natural since both enjoy working on the artistic fringe. But just a few years ago such a collaboration would have seemed like a pipe dream — the Hughes Brothers were unhappy with Korn when the "Freak on a Leash" video came out, as shots of a bullet traveling in slow-motion in the clip looked similar to a gun control public service announcement filmed by the brothers.

"We had no idea," Davis explained. "When we met the Hughes Brothers they were like, 'We did the same thing,' and I was like, 'I am sorry, dude.' If we would have known, it would have been a different deal. So they should be getting patted on the back for that video since it's their idea."

—Jon Wiederhorn, with additional reporting by Antonia Napoli

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEUROTICA Replace JERRY CANTRELL At Florida's LIVESTOCK 12 - Apr. 26, 2002

Florida's NEUROTICA, featuring former ATHEIST frontman Kelly Shaefer, have landed the Livestock 12 slot vacated by former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell, who withdrew from the festival in order to attend memorial services for late AIC frontman Layne Staley. NEUROTICA will be appearing at the Zephyrhills (near Tampa), Florida event on Sunday, April 28th alongside such acts as STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, KID ROCK, PUDDLE OF MUDD, SEVENDUST, ADEMA, SOIL, EARSHOT, GRAVITY KILLS, LOCAL H, FU MANCHU, REVEILLE, CHEVELLE, LOSTPROPHETS, THE APEX THEORY and SINISSTAR.

View/Post Comments (0)