Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

It's been five short months since the summer movie season kicked off with the near-simultaneous releases of ''Spider-Man'' and ''Star Wars -- Episode II: Attack of the Clones.'' But it's already time to relive that match-up -- along with the rest of the summer box office wars -- at your local video store, where the season's biggest hits are arriving on DVD, packed with extras and priced to move.

As more and more movie fans embrace DVDs, studios are starting to promote them with a gusto formerly reserved for theatrical releases; Sony, for instance, boasts of plans to spend $100 million promoting its Spidey DVD, and $34 million pushing the ''Men in Black II'' DVD. With those high stakes in mind, here's what to expect from the summer smashes returning in November and December:

SPIDER-MAN (Nov. 1)
    Theatrical gross $403 million
    Why fans will buy it ''Spider-Man'' was, by far, the summer's biggest movie, winning an audience way beyond the comic-book cult. The flick even got decent reviews.
    Why they might not Many have already seen it more than once in theaters, and might have had their fill of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst.
    Bonus features include Behind-the-scenes footage, Tobey's screen test, and a documentary on Spidey's 40-year-history
    Expert prediction ''Spider-Man'' will sell between 20 million and 30 million copies, and could end up as the top-selling DVD at all time, says Scott Hettrick, editor-in-chief of the trade magazine Video Business.

STAR WARS -- EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (Nov. 12)
    Theatrical gross $302 million
    Why fans will buy it Hey, it's still ''Star Wars.'' Even though most reviewers hated ''Clones,'' and some once-loyal followers have defected from the Force, this is still the most successful movie franchise of all time.
    Why they might not ''Clones''' box office take was less than that of ''Phantom Menace''; the same will likely hold true for the DVD.
    Bonus features include Deleted scenes with new special effects, and a fascinating making-of-Yoda documentary
    Expert prediction ''Clones'' is likely to sell between 15 million and 20 million copies, according to Hettrick, who says its status as the first ''Star Wars'' DVD released in the same year as it hit theaters may give it a boost.

[ October 28, 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The rest of the "high profile" DVD releases
    (Sadly, no mention of LOTR's Extended set due in two weeks...):

MEN IN BLACK II (Nov. 26)
    Theatrical gross $190 million
    Why fans will buy it Warm feelings from the first ''MIB'' will carry over, even though many saw the sequel as inferior.
    Why they might not The sequel WAS inferior.
    Bonus features include A wacky blooper reel and a previously unseen alternate ending
    Expert prediction Thanks to tepid audience reaction, ''MIB II'' won't live up to Sony's expectations, Hettrick says -- he forecasts sales of 5 million or less.

ICE AGE (Nov. 26)
    Theatrical gross $180 million
    Why fans will buy it ''Ice Age'''s gorgeous computer animation and hip comedy won fans from beyond the Pokémon set -- but the kiddies loved it too.
    Why they might not Kid-skewing films started tanking later in the summer -- some parents may be burned out on them.
    Bonus features include Built-in DVD-ROM games, and a brand-new animated short starring the ever-frustrated rodent Scrat.
    Expert prediction ''Ice Age'' should do about 11 million (including the VHS sales still popular with some parents), says Hettrick.
    AUSTIN POWERS IN GOLDMEMBER (Dec. 3)
    Theatrical gross $212 million
    Why fans will buy it To see their old pals Fat Bastard, Dr. Evil, and Mini-Me
    Why they might not The title character wasn't funny at all; the film's aggressively of-the-moment pop culture references may already feel old.
    Bonus features include A DVD-ROM function will let you dub your own voice over selected scenes. The movie will be enhanced by special pop-up menus that link to documentaries and other extras.
    Expert prediction Fans who own the first two ''Austin''s will snap up this one as well, resulting in over 7 million copies sold, says Hettrick.

MINORITY REPORT (Dec. 17)
    Theatrical gross $132 million
    Why fans will buy it It's Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg's first collaboration, and the movie's smart sci-fi intersects nicely with the DVD demographic.
    Why they might not Despite the star power, ''Report'''s box office take wasn't all that triumphant -- and its relatively complex themes seemed to overwhelm some viewers.
    Bonus features include Numerous behind-the-scenes documentaries, including a look at the think tank Spielberg assembled to imagine the movie's future.
    Expert prediction Tom Cruise's fans will help push this baby to around 7 million, according to Hettrick.

LILO & STITCH (Dec. 3)
    Theatrical gross $144 million
    Why fans will buy it The sweet-hearted cartoon hooked a pint-size generation on Elvis Presley and helped forge a cooler direction for Disney.
    Why they might not There's not as much here for grown-ups as there is in ''Ice Age.''
    Bonus features include Three deleted scenes and the movie's hilarious trailers (in which Stitch barges in on past Disney films)
    Expert prediction Like ''Ice Age,'' ''Lilo'' should see around 11 million sold, including VHS copies, Hettrick says.

XXX (Dec. 31)
    Theatrical gross $141 million
    Why fans will buy it Some accept Vin Diesel as the ''extreme'' version of Ah-nuld or Sly.
    Why they might not Many critics said ''XXX'' was just extremely bad.
    Bonus features include Deleted scenes, a making-of documentary, and a Gavin Rossdale music video
    Expert prediction ''The Fast and the Furious'' sold about 7 million DVDs; ''XXX'' should do the same, Hettrick says.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I am so stoked to get both of those so I can finally see them clearly. I have VCD's of both of them that I recieved about two weeks before the flicks hit the theaters. Thanks again for the info on Clones FH! You've made my day. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Clones sucked. Spidey will kick ass a second time...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Clones sucked. Spidey will kick ass a second time...
    Spidey sucked, I'm getting Clones.
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Spidey will win cause it will appeal to women and young kids more, I loved both movies and will be buying them both on DVD, I can't wait!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Spider-Man Earns $245 Million in First Week!
    Thursday, November 7, 2002 12:53 CST

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Spider-Man set new records in sales for its first day and week on DVD and video...

"Spider-Man" snared top honors for the week in home video, setting first-day and first-week sales records and earning an estimated $245 million-plus in gross rental and sell-through revenue during its first five days in release. The Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment actioner, starring Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe and Kirsten Dunst, has surpassed the record set by the Walt Disney Co./Pixar's animated feature "Monsters, Inc." with more than 2.4 million VHS and more than 4.5 million DVD units during its first day in release and topping the 11 million combined units sold to consumers during its first week, according to CTHE executives. However, those same executives stopped short of saying whether "Spider-Man" officially sold more than 11 million combined units during the first three days of release, as they predicted Sunday.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Is there a version of either that excludes all the shit box 'love scenes'.

I felt physically ill during some scenes in spiderman!

A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

LOL! I really like the movie, but I was disappointed with the DVD. All of the extras really suck. You just know they're setting up the fans to go out and buy the Special, Deluxe, Director's Cut, Ultimate Edition that'll probably hit the shelves in another 6 months or so.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason you buy the DVD is FOR THE MOVIE, right? Who gives a flying fudge what kind of extras they have on the disc. Give me a high quality transfer with kickin' music. End of story.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

C'mon, Stuff! There's nerds like myself who enjoy seeing "making of" specials of ice being applied to Kirsten Dunst's nipples to make them protrude through that sweater, deleted scenes, and epecially that trailer that was left off that included the WTC.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FH:
    C'mon, Stuff! There's nerds like myself who enjoy seeing "making of" specials of ice being applied to Kirsten Dunst's nipples to make them protrude through that sweater.
    Me too!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by FH:
    ice being applied to Kirsten Dunst's nipples to make them protrude through that sweater,
    GREAT MOOGALY BALOOGLY!!!

I'm being touched in my erogenous zones!

[ November 07, 2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Goo:
    I'm being touched in my erogenous zones!
    Well *puts his hands on his knees and stands up*, thank you for sharing that, but I believe that's my cue to run screaming into the night.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Attack of the Clones Does Not Top Spider-Man DVD
    Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:23 CST

According to Variety, the new "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" DVD did not top the record 7 million units sold for Spider-Man its first day, nor the 5 million Disney sold for "Monsters, Inc." earlier this year.

The Hollywood trade says 20th Century Fox sold about 4 million copies in the first 24 hours of the second "Star Wars" prequel, for an estimated $75 million in retail value. Fox says that "Clones" is selling a higher percentage (more than 25%) of the units that were shipped to retailers than any title this year.

Columbia shipped 26 million copies of Spider-Man and Disney shipped 21 million copies of "Monsters, Inc." while Fox shipped just 15 million units of "Clones."

Meanwhile, Variety did say that sales of Spider-Man slowed considerably in the second week and even more this week, with the release of both "Clones" and the special edition of the first installment of "The Lord of the Rings," and may not reach the lofty record-breaking heights of more than 30 million units. We'll keep you updated.
    Superhero Hype