VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

So here it is plain and simple.

My wife and I are looking at buying a NEW minivan to haul the kids around in. We were really considering a Ford Winstar or a Dodge Caravan / Chrysler T&C until I started reading a bunch of consumer opinions on line and they are about 80% negative (and visciously too) toward the Winstars.

There aren't a lot of good comments about the Dodge family either.

So then...do we chance it and get one of these regardless or go import? I hear the Honda Odyssey is pretty reliable.

Or do we just go get a monstrosity like an Excursion SUV?? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

What do all the Linker family folk drive and recommend?
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

By the way, I know this topic makes me sound like I'm getting real crotchety and old, but I need to start looking for more comfortable ways to bus the kids around...

and doing so in a Grand Am just ain't gonna cut it anymore!

Also, would I look ridiculous with Cabo Jr. in the back of the ol' minivan with "Mean Street" blaring out of the windows at a stoplight?

Don't answer that, Mods. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Cabo Kid:

Also, would I look ridiculous with Cabo Jr. in the back of the ol' minivan with "Mean Street" blaring out of the windows at a stoplight?

[ October 04, 2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:

Yes. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Tough tittie. Public domain. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Jeez, man - NO minivans. [img]redface.gif[/img] If you guys end up arguing over the justifying the cost of an SUV, get one of the new Saturn ones or something. I've had nothing but great praise for the three Saturns I've owned.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Well, we've had a Chevrolet Venture for 2.5 years now, and other than the fact that it's "kitty puke brown" (I think sandstone is the technical term, "pew"ter is the closest match) and could maybe use a tad more space behind the third seat (there is a longer version available) I have no problem with it and it hasn't exploded or veered suddenly into a ditch or anything like that. And I think my CDs sound good in there!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Hooooly shit. This thread is just WAY too revealing guys. C'mon, cant you lie and say you drive a 77 trans am or something for cryin out loud? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Cabo, just buy an extended cab. It a working truck for all the right reasons. Hell buddy, you can actually haul the whole soccer team in the back while the family rides in comfort.

Plus I think the chicks might dig Mr. Mom working the new GMC. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by track 5:
    Cabo, just buy an extended cab. It a working truck for all the right reasons. Hell buddy, you can actually haul the whole soccer team in the back while the family rides in comfort.

Plus I think the chicks might dig Mr. Mom working the new GMC. Out.
    worrrrrrd.

work it baby, work it.

(starts at around 20k [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] )

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Just buy it one in gay ass yellow. LOL.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if your kids are still using the car seats, make sure the seats fit in the back of the extended cab before you take it home. the local paper did a writeup of a guy who bought a Nissan extended cab truck and his kid's car seat wouldn't fit in the back, and the dealer wouldn't take the truck back.

a friend of mine just bought a Caravan Sport, not a bad ride at all. handles nice on the freeway and gets halfway decent gas mileage. his kid is only a couple months old, so they've got a bit more room than they need right now, but he traded in a Ranger and he gets some hauling use out of the van. another friend's dad has a Venture van, also not a bad ride. sometimes on the freeway i hear it hunting for the right gear, where the Dodge seems to know where it wants to be. since my dad worked for DaimlerChrysler, i'm a bit biased toward their cars, though...

my brother was considering a van, but went for an Intrepid instead. my nephew is two, and my niece just about a year old. their seats fit nicely in the back, and there's more than enough room in the trunk for the double stroller. in a pinch, there's room in the back for another person between the kid seats.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by seenbad:
    Hooooly shit. This thread is just WAY too revealing guys. C'mon, cant you lie and say you drive a 77 trans am or something for cryin out loud? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Argh, who cares if anyone drives 'em? Minivans are good at what they do, and for the most part are better than overpriced, gas-guzzling SUVs [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] .
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cabo, you're in luck......

I just did all the research about 3 months ago and found out a lot about vans.

Your Dodge Caravan have a lot of issues. Just check out any discussion forum and you'll find a lot of unhappy people and a few really happy folks. With the Dodge it's not a matter of getting a "lemon" it's getting a decent one.

The T&C from Chrysler is megabucks. Nice features. Big Van...lots of room, but has had some complaints similar to Dodge.

The Windstar......I didn't even look at this van.....but the financing and pricing seems right on these suckers.

Toyota Sienna. By far the second best minivan on the market. I couldn't find one complaint on the net about it......but I'm sure there are a few out there.

Honda Odyessy. The best van. Fold down third seat. Tons of room. 240 horsepower. It's a Honda....what else can I say. IT DOES HAVE A TRANSMISSION ISSUE. Some transmissions have a "click" at a certain speed. The end result is the transmission failing all together. I think it will end up as a recall. Just check out some BB's........you'll see the complanints.

Chevy Venture. Nice van. The only negative thing I've heard is that the engine develops a knock after a while. There's nothing the dealer can do and some are blaming it on a design issue. Some guy has a website dedicated to how Chevy is ripping people off.

And the Van that the Turner Family blares Van Halen from................

2002 Mazda MPV

200-Hp
    ABS/Traction Control
    Fold-Down Rear Sear
    Luggage Rack
    Fog Lights
    Power mirrors, locks and windows.
    Aluminum wheels
    A/C
    Side windows that roll down (the only van that does it.
    Floor mats
    Rear Heater
    Towing Package
    CD Player

all of this for only, $21,050

The fold down rear seat helps becuase the MPV is one the the smaller minivans on the market. The seat dissapears into the floor. The Honda has doesn't have even the same features as the Mazda and it was $4000 more. And when you're talkin' a van, you don't really want to spend a lot on a car that kids are gonna shit on and in, scratch with their bikes.......

go for the cheap one......then down the road......buy that 77 Trans Am....
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV. For the price, they are hard to beat. I have had no problems and any warranty items have been taken care of in a timely fashion. I highly recommend getting the optional entertainment center for the kids. Have them put the headphones on so you can get back to the important things like Fair Warning or Balance.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Contrails:
    I have a 2000 Mazda MPV. For the price, they are hard to beat. I have had no problems and any warranty items have been taken care of in a timely fashion. I highly recommend getting the optional entertainment center for the kids. Have them put the headphones on so you can get back to the important things like Fair Warning or Balance.
    Glad to hear your 2000 is running great. I am a Honday man. I own a 91 Accord with 201K...I had a 91 Civic with 140 and an 81 Civic with about 150K. All had original motors and transmissions. I am hoping the Mazda is as reliable.

The motor in the new MPV was designed and built by Mazda to Mazda specs for Ford. It's in the new Ford Escape. It is however made in America by Ford. The same goes for the 5-speed transmission.

As far as the entertainment system in concerned. Get one of the self contained units at Circuit City for like 300 bucks. The kids love it and when it breaks, throw it out and get another one. The dealer option on the Entertainment Center is pricey. But the Dealer Installed unit is pretty slick.......but you pay the price for a nice install.

XM radio anybody?????

My buddy just got it. Anyone else?
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by ScottRoberts:
    quote:
    Originally posted by seenbad:
    Argh, who cares if anyone drives 'em? Minivans are good at what they do, and for the most part are better than overpriced, gas-guzzling SUVs [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] .[/QUOTE]Hey, whatever makes ya feel good Clark (grizwald).