Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from ESPN.COM

With no agreement in sight and weeks of the season passing by, baseball's owners and players are moving toward the kind of confrontation that ended the 1994 season prematurely and canceled the World Series for the first time in 90 years.

They have plenty of time to work out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, but in the absence of any movement the union has begun to talk about setting a strike date. Gene Orza, the union's No. 2 official, confirmed that step Tuesday to The New York Times.

"You never want to have to discuss it, but you have obligations to consider that contingency," Orza told The Times. "It's in the very formative stages. We haven't mentioned a day or date, but we have to start considering strike dates.

"But they really haven't been substantive discussions. It's just one of those contingencies you're forced to consider by the process. But our priority is still to get a deal. Nothing would make us happier than to inform our membership that we have a deal."

The time for a possible strike mentioned by people close to the union is early August, the newspaper reported. In 1994, the players went on strike Aug. 12. There have been nine work stoppages since 1972.

Commissioner Bud Selig has pledged not to lock out the players during the season or postseason, but he has made no such pledge for the offseason, meaning the owners, in the absence of movement in the negotiations, could declare an impasse, then implement new work rules and conditions.

It is that possibility the players want to avoid. If they played the entire season and went into the offseason without an agreement, they would be at the mercy of the owners -- with no leverage until next season, or at least spring training.

The players and owners also still have their contraction dispute to resolve. Briefs in the ongoing arbitration case are due May 24, and the arbitrator has said he will try to have a decision by July 15.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Players Strike screw that the fans should strike and only go to Minor League baseball games at least you don't have primadonnas down in minors. Cost wise it's a way better value

If the players and the owners blow out another World Series and MLB baseball is DOOMED.

One World Series not happening was bad enough.
    How many times do they think they screw over their paying customers the fans and think we will just come back.

[ May 15, 2002 at 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Pasadena Murdock ]</p>
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, the players are treated so unfairly though. I mean...do you see the wages they make??? Hardly enough to buy an island and a cruise liner to sail there in.

Rough times for us all..
    When James Brown dies...David Lee Roth will be the hardest working man in show business...<br /><br />VOTE QUIMBY!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't have the ability to close threads, but if you'd be so kind to take this to the MLB 2002 thread it would be appreciated!

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

like your favorite musicians, these overpaid jackasses don't give two shits about the fans. so go to the ballpark and shower them with adoration, or go to your favorite team shop and buy items with their names on it. just don't come back here whining when those pricks go on strike, and your precious game is destroyed...

if the players don't kill baseball, the owners will...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they better not! My daddie just bought seats behind the plate at yankee stadium at an auction to have a daddie-daughter night in aug. And i really want to go! I've only been in the tier! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they do strike in August, it'll let me make a seamless transition into NFL preseason. Schweet!
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy Pete:
    Well, the players are treated so unfairly though. I mean...do you see the wages they make??? Hardly enough to buy an island and a cruise liner to sail there in.

Rough times for us all..
    Yeah I agree, my $8 million home isn't quite big enough, I need about another $30 mil a year, and I'll be allset

Gotta love athletes

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

HEY!!!!

Billy is right! Go to the MLB 2002 and post about this!!!

I wish you could merge threads.....
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many pages of one thread do we need? I don't have the time to wade through page after page of stuff to read about one particular topic. If everyone wants to post about the strike elsewhere, great. Count me out.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, I can just predict a work stoppage and scrubbing of the post season. Friggin Reds are finally doing well for once and knowing my luck their year will get thrown away.

Seriously though, what the hell do they have to strike about? Any player that invests intelligently and hangs around for a number of years can be set for life. They make more money than many business department heads do!
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The owners and players have got to be the dumbest people walking the earth. Why they can't get there shit together I will never understand. All this crap should have been resolved in 1994. Who fuckin cares anymore.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's the curse of the Bambino again! The Red Sox are having their best season since probably forever and now there is a talk of a strike. Great, I can see it now. Red Sox are ahead of the Yankees by 10 games in the east in Aug. when the srtike begins. This is fucking ridiculous! It took the breaking of a 37 year old record in home runs, the most exciting play in baseball, to bring fans back to the ball park after the last strike. What will it take after the next one?
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 974 Times in 391 Posts

was watching the best damn sports show tonight and kruk was saying that the players want to have the ability to play wherever they want when their contract is up and put in clauses in their contract if they should want to stay, get traded, etc. he said it's not about the money. i say fuck it, it's a business. i don't know about you guys, but how many people in the real world get to pick where they want to work and actualy work there getting a gurantee they can stay or go elsewhere at their request?! sad sad sad

baseball is gonna go down the shitter bigtime if they go through with s strike. they better think twice

hey, these guys are worse than van halen [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Let the countdown to the Super Bowl begin. Who gives a shit about baseball anymore? New York, Boston, Chicago and who else? Gimme a break. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    My opinion may have something to do with my closeness to Tampa's Double A Devil Rays.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad