Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I for one love the NFL overtime system, and I pray that nobody f*cks with it. Having the coin toss is fair, sudden death is fair (after all, a team can score on offense, defense or special team), and if all of those units for both teams can't score in 15 minutes, then a tie result for both teams is fair.

On the other hand, I hate the college football overtime system. The rules are convoluted and - because of the drive start field position being set at the 25 - the rules arbitrarily favor the team with the better offense and kicker (the more overtimes that are played, the more skewed it gets towards the team that fields a superior offense and kicker by virtue of probability). And 5 or more OTs at the end of a game seems to happen at least once a year...the damn college game is long enough already without 6 OTs extending it another hour or more.

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by therealdeal:
    sudden death is fair (after all, a team can score on offense, defense or special team), and if all of those units for both teams can't score in 15 minutes, then a tie result for both teams is fair.

On the other hand, I hate the college football overtime system. - the rules arbitrarily favor the team with the better offense and kicker (the more overtimes that are played, the more skewed it gets towards the team that fields a superior offense and kicker by virtue of probability).

The Real Deal
    Well there was a tie in the NFL this past week, Steelers and Falcons, wasn't it? They should play til one side wins or gives up, there should be a winner, afterall they do it in post-season. A tie is like kissing your sister, need to avoid them. Don't call the game after 15 minutes, let 'em play.

As far as the college game goes, I like the excitement and the game usually favors the best offense anyway, right? Plus they start making them go for 2 after touchdowns instead of kicking PAT's so they're trying to end the game. You wanna win the game, keep the other guys out of the end zone. It's that simple.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

- People have been living with ties in hockey for a century or so...lot of sister-kissin' there...

- Watching college OT is real exciting until your star player goes down for the rest of the season or for his career because the stupid rules have him out on the field for 5 hours...the human body wasn't meant to take 5 hours of college or pro-level football...

- The college game has never exclusively favored the team with the best offense (past dynasties like Michigan, Alabama, Penn State and current champ Oklahoma should've been slighted by offense-favoring OT rules?). Let's move the fences in for college & pro-level baseball games after the 9th inning, too...

Face it: the pros have had it right since '73 and the morons that run college football are too stupid to get both their post-season AND their OT rules right. I don't even watch college football anymore because it's been f*cked up so badly.

I know, I know. I won't be missed...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The same assholes that tell you last night's championship game was a classic will tell you that soccer sucks when championships are decided on penalty kicks.

F*ck college football.

The Real Deal

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NFL OT keeps with the principles of the game. I f you win the coin toss, you have to play offense to win, if you lose the coin toss, you have to play defense. although, it does suck when the winner of the coin toss throws 3 passes and then kick a figgie to win the game. Maybe they should say that you have to score a td on your first posession if you win the toss...that way, a team would have to have a long sustained drive and ya couldn't say they won the game by winnin the coin toss.

college football is screwy...totally gives the team that has the ball second the advantage.

[ January 04, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Aquatic Punk ]
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

hmmm..both have good and bad points...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

I always thought the college OT was a little strange but it did bring some drama to the Championship Game. I do like the purity of the NFL OT since it's sudden death. I do think that they should keep playing until there's a winner. Ties don't belong in football. I know they don't happen very often but it just doesn't look right.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Ties suck.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Agreed. Ties DO suck.

But...If a football game does not obtain a decisive result in regulation, then they should continue to play the game by the same rules in a max-15 minute OT, until either A) One team scores first by any means, resulting in a sudden-death-style victory, or B) no one scores in 15 minutes by any means and thus a tie is recorded.

The latter result has so seldom happened in the NFL since '73 that it should not be disparaged simply by virtue of its occurrance.

GET RID OF THE CURRENT COLLEGE OT RULES, AND FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

[img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

The Real Deal

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

The college O/T is by far the best. Each team gets a shot. I do think they should start at the 35 rather than the 25 though. The NFL coin flip sucks.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Limey,

Dude, what's wrong with the coin toss? Both NFL and college games start with a coin toss...you want to dump that procedure too? Oh wait, let's just do that XFL thing...yeah that'll work...

C'mon people. You can't hold a jump ball in football, so what's wrong with a coin toss? The cool thing about NFL OT is that the home team has a decided advantage regardless of who wins the toss. If the home team has gone 60 minutes without losing outright, then of course it's going to have a default advantage (crowd, familiar elements, etc). What the f*ck is wrong with that?

On the other hand, in NCAA, the road team gets the ball on the 25 by default, without having to lift a f*cking finger. Sh*t, tee the thing up and call it a f*cking soccer game, why don't ya? It's the perfect politically correct way to end a game: tee both offense up in prime scoring position and throw the rest of the conditions that make for a fair OT matchup out the window.

Yeah, that's fair...

F*ck that!!! Make one team or the other win by same rules tha apply during the first 60 minutes. How f*cking difficult is it to explain that concept?

In soccer, penalty kicks suck because it takes the defense and the earning of field position completely out of the victory equation. NCAA football does the exact same f*cking thing. What, you don't see that??

[Shaking head]

Seek help, please! And don't help to ruin the integrity of the outcome of a competitive football game with your politically correct notion of placing the ball at the 25 yard line...

The Real Deal

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:40 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I like the NFL overtime a hell of alot more than I do the college system. I mean come on each team getting the ball at the other teams 25 yard line is just stupid. I like the sudden death format the NFL has, the first team to score wins and that it. Some people might argue that with college at least each team gets a chance to get the ball and I say so what, just because you lose the coin toss in the NFL doesn't mean you won't get the ball, epecially if you are playing the Detroit Lions!

Eruption
    Last Online

Originally posted by therealdeal:

[Shaking head]

Seek help, please! And don't help to ruin the integrity of the outcome of a competitive football game with your politically correct notion of placing the ball at the 25 yard line...

The Real Deal
    Don't like my opinion? Who cares! If you would have read my reply earlier I said the ball should be on at least the 35. Each team has a shot and each team must use all facets of the game: offense,defense, and special teams. Political correctness? We're talking football not affirmative action.....get over yourself.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude,

In fairness to you personally, I was speaking to the pro-college-OT-rules crowd at large, and not you alone. I did catch your suggestion the first time regarding the 35 instead of the 25.

But yeah, we both have our opinions, and mine is particularly strongly conveyed of late because of a lot of the talk on ESPN and other media sources to change the NFL OT rules. If that happens...

And my feelings about college football's dismal shortcomings (in particular: OT, the BCS joke and a lack of playoffs - not in that order) have resulted in my virtually abandoning any interest in patronizing college football, either thru attending or watching on TV. The most college football I watched this past season was about 2 quarters (and 2 OTs ) of the Nat'l Champ game. Just 3 seasons ago I watched at least one full game each week of the season, and followed closely all the major confs and a few small confs.

OK, so I'm one guy that's walked away...so what, right? Well, consider this: from about 1988 until 1995 I was a big NBA fan. The game was great and I watched (and wagered on) games all the time. I was a RABID fan of the Blazers and the Warriors, and went to games and was very jacked during the playoffs. As everyone knows, during the '90s the league's focus shifted tremendously towards placing the fans' attention onto individual players, resulting in the never-ending shuffle of team rosters. The concept of team chemistry was thus flushed down the toilet, and fans never knew who was going to be on a team anymore. Thus, the integrity of the NBA took a big hit in my book because the league let me down as a fan by placing more emphasis on the needs of spoiled players than on my team(s), and I walked away...

The end result with 8 years of hindsight: myself and MILLIONS of other casual fans like me - and our dollars - have walked away from the NBA, resulting in decreased revenue thru shrinking TV ratings, shrinking attendance and shrinking retail. The numbers and trends over the last decade don't lie.

Could this happen to NCAA football? If the powers that be don't fix things, then we'll see, won't we?

There. I'm over myself...well...not quite.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal

Eruption
    Last Online

I totally agree that owners and players are hurting the integrity of all sports. You can't even go to a game without dropping a few bill$.

College does need a playoff. If division II can do it successfully I don't see why it can't be done in division I. In those 4-5 weeks prior to bowls the top 16 teams could have playoffs with the major bowls rotating the championship game. Better yet limit the number of regular season games to 10 and begin a playoff earlier. This would still allow for a bowl selection prior to Christmas and the final 2 could still be in the big bowl with the others in the lower tier bowls. Of course the NCAA will probably balk at a playoff due to the payoffs from the bowl games.