Thread: AL MVP

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I say ARod was robbed, he should've won the award. Miggy had a great season and all BUT ARod had the greatest season by a shortstop since the days of Jimmie Foxx and he gets beat out by a eh uh shortstop??

discuss..

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I truly believe that if Soriano had hit that 40th homer to become the 3rd 40-40 man and first time ever for a second baseman. He would have won the MVP.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

because the award is about who is the most valuable player - not the one with the best season. That's why I see Bonds' season as justification for his winning the NL MVP, as much as I hate him. HIs performance had an effect on his team's success, where as the Rangers...well, look at the standings. Nobody is going to debate that A-Rod had a stellar season, but his contribution didn't make the Rangers a better team in that capacity.

Here's a good article about the whole MVP debate -

Should A-Rod have won?

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As with most things, this comes down to semantics. MVP or Best Player. Here is how I would decide: If I was starting a team, out of all current MLB players, who would I start with?

The answer, is A-Rod.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Where the "MVP" stands for the most valuable player. Both men are most definately worthy, but the fact that Oakland made the playoffs is what sent the award Tejada's way.

Now the Cy Young is for BEST PITCHER! The pitcher who was the best during the season.
    Pedro had all the stats by far in his favor except wins. His ERA was 1/2 a run better, he had 50 or so more strikeouts in 30 less innings. You take in his average he would have had about 90 more if pitched the same amount of innings.
    Sure he didn't make his last start in a meaningless game, but he was still the better pitcher this season.
    If they gave the MVP award to pitchers, then I can see Zito getting it over Tejada.
    Maybe they need to add an additional MVP that goes to the pitcher that is the most valuable player in the league, if they did then Zito would get my vote.

[ November 13, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Now the Cy Young is for BEST PITCHER! The pitcher who was the best during the season.
    Pedro had all the stats by far in his favor except wins.
    Actually if I remember correctly, Zito had more wins (and more starts) against quality teams...considering he had to face Seattle and Anaheim quite often in his own division, considering the Red Sox main competition in the East was the Yanks (plus you could argue that Zito got his team into the playoffs as well). Martinez was better "stats" wise, but then again so was ARod.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Originally posted by rrussou812:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Pedro had all the stats by far in his favor except wins.
    Actually if I remember correctly, Zito had more wins (and more starts) against quality teams...considering he had to face Seattle and Anaheim quite often in his own division, considering the Red Sox main competition in the East was the Yanks (plus you could argue that Zito got his team into the playoffs as well). Martinez was better "stats" wise, but then again so was ARod. </font>[/QUOTE]You are right, But Pedro had a much better record and era against those same west teams. Remember striking out the side on 9 pitches in the first inning of a game against Seattle?
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 969 Times in 389 Posts

pedro pedro pedro...fuck him. i'm sick of hearing his name. this is about the al mvp debate

pedro schmedro..tell him to actually pitch the whole year

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's see:
    Tejada AVG - .308 A-Rod AVG - .300
    Tejada Slg% - .508 A-Rod Slg% - .623
    Tejada OnBs% - .354 A-Rod OnBs% - .392
    Tejada RBI - 131 A-Rod RBI - 142
    Tejada HR - 34 A-Rod HR - 57
    Tejada Hits - 204 A-Rod Hits - 187
    Tejada Runs - 108 A-Rod Runs - 125
    Tejada Field% - .975 A-Rod Field% - .987 (Gold Glove)
    Advantage A-Rod

Now, before your baseball weenie gets engorged and starts spewing "the MVP isn't based only on stats," consider this: Who would rather have for your SS, Tejada or A-Rod? Who would bring more in a trade, Tejada or A-Rod? Who is generally considered the best player in the game, Tejada or A-Rod?

A-Rod was penalized for playing on a team with a terrible pitching staff and, IMO, for making $25 million per year.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by P1:
    A-Rod was penalized for playing on a team with a terrible pitching staff and, IMO, for making $25 million per year.
    And he should be.

The award goes to the most "valuable" player. It doesn't go to the player with the best year. A-Rod had an unbelieveable year -- a better one than Tejada. But in the end, how valuable was he to the team? The Rangers finished dead last in their division, and the Rangers were the only AL West team to have a losing record (72-90).

Tejada's individual contribution may have been slightly less than A-Rod's, but his value was much more significant.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rrussou812:

I say ARod was robbed, he should've won the award. Miggy had a great season and all BUT ARod had the greatest season by a shortstop since the days of Jimmie Foxx and he gets beat out by a eh uh shortstop??
    I'm not going to get into this debate because I believe either player would have deserved the award. A-Rod is simply the best player in the game now, all-around (yes, even better than Bonds), but Tejada was directly responsible for many of the A's victories. That's all I'll say about that.

The reason I quoted you, rruss, is to point out a small inconsistency in your post. I hope that, when you said "greatest season by a shortstop since the days of Jimmie Foxx," you didn't mean to imply that Jimmie Foxx was a shortstop. He played first base.

If you didn't mean to imply it, please ignore this post!

And to JMJ: Dude, I love your posts, bro, but don't knock Pedro for not pitching a whole season. It's not his fault he was born with an extremely skinny--even delicate--physique which, as a power pitcher, makes him susceptible to injury. When he's healthy, he's still the best in the game, imho. Rock on, bro! And you can be absolutely certain I'm not biased in any way! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived..."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.23.12 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

P.S.: Guitar Shark, I must say you've done an excellent job of hiding your ever-lingering hostility toward A-Rod for leaving your beloved M's. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived..."

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ted Williams:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rrussou812:

I'm not going to get into this debate because I believe either player would have deserved the award. A-Rod is simply the best player in the game now, all-around (yes, even better than Bonds), but Tejada was directly responsible for many of the A's victories. That's all I'll say about that.

The reason I quoted you, rruss, is to point out a small inconsistency in your post. I hope that, when you said "greatest season by a shortstop since the days of Jimmie Foxx," you didn't mean to imply that Jimmie Foxx was a shortstop. He played first base.

If you didn't mean to imply it, please ignore this post!

And to JMJ: Dude, I love your posts, bro, but don't knock Pedro for not pitching a whole season. It's not his fault he was born with an extremely skinny--even delicate--physique which, as a power pitcher, makes him susceptible to injury. When he's healthy, he's still the best in the game, imho. Rock on, bro! And you can be absolutely certain I'm not biased in any way! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I stand corrected (well actually i'm sitting)

Honestly I had heard someone state this on one of the major sport networks that he had the best season since the days of Jimmie Foxx. I do consider myself an above average baseball buff but I'll be the first to admit (and as it shows in my post) that I don't know as much about the players my dad grew up with as in to compare the ones that are of my generation.

In all though I honestly do feel ARod should've got the award for being the most valuable player [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: rrussou812 ]

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    But in the end, how valuable was he to the team? The Rangers finished dead last in their division, and the Rangers were the only AL West team to have a losing record (72-90).

Tejada's individual contribution may have been slightly less than A-Rod's, but his value was much more significant.
    [/QUOTE]

question is, is if the roles were reversed (Miggy played for the rangers and Arod was with the A's) would this still be the case?? Can you honestly say he didn't deserve it because the supporting cast around him didn't play to par?

[ November 13, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: rrussou812 ]

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The Texas Rangers would have finished last with or without A-Rod. So, he can't be the Most Valuable Player. His team finished last w/him. [img]smile.gif[/img]