Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Believe that:

To be a Democrat, you have to believe that

1. The AIDS virus is spread by a lack of funding.

2. Trial lawyers are selfless heroes and that doctors are overpaid.

3. Global temperatures are affected more by a suburban soccer mom driving an
    SUV than by documented, cyclical variations in the brightness and intensity
    of the sun.

4. Guns in the hands of law-abiding Americans are more of a threat than
    nuclear, chemical and biological weapons in the hands of Saddam Hussein.

5. Businesses create oppression and government creates prosperity.

6. Self-esteem is more important than doing anything to earn it.

7. There was no art before federal funding.

8. The NRA is a bad organization because it stands up for certain parts of
    the Constitution, but the ACLU is a good organization because it stands up
    for certain parts of the Constitution.

9. Taxes are too low but ATM fees are too high.

10. Standardized tests are racist, but racial quotas are not.

11. ANY change in the weather is proof of global warming.

12. National wealth is determined by what we consume, not by what we
    produce.

13. The only wars in which America should become involved are those in which
    our national security is not at risk.

14. Perjury and obstruction of justice are impeachable if a Republican
    president commits them but a harmless, private matter if a Democrat
    president commits them.

15. America can have a strong military without spending money on it.

16. The way to improve public schools is to give more money and power to the
    very people who have misused that power and money to destroy the public
    schools.

17. Hunters and fishermen do not care about the environment but pasty-faced
    activists that rarely venture out-of-doors do.

18. A bureaucrat living in Washington, D.C. can make better decisions about
    how to spend the money that you earn than you can.

19. Being a movie or television star qualifies you to speak out on public
    policy.

20. Hillary Clinton is a wonderful example for young women of feminine
    independence even though she has never accomplished anything worthwhile
    without riding on the coattails of her husband.

21. A handful of religious whackos living in rural Texas are more of a
    threat to public safety than Islamic terrorists who wish to plant bombs in
    major American cities.

22. Passing new laws are a much better way to curb crime than enforcing the
    existing ones.

23. Tax cuts are for people who don¹t actually pay income taxes.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ December 09, 2002, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

That may very well be the single dumbest post ever posted in VHLinks history. Wow. If you believe even half of that then you have been listening to WAY too much Limbaugh.

[ December 09, 2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: ian ]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It does have a mind-numbing, talk radio simplicity to it, doesn't it? "Sounds good!" politics is easy. It's neat, and people sure do like easy and neat solutions to complex issues. Who the hell wants to think anymore when we can listen to other people think for us?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

First let me start by saying that this post is asking for it (seenbad I am sure you knew that )

#3. I have no doubt that there are natural causes to our ozone depletion but to rule out polution is outrageous.

#4. Guns in the hands of citizens, law abiding or not, have caused more damage in our country than any chemical, nuclear or biological weapons ever have to date.

My .02 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    First let me start by saying that this post is asking for it (seenbad I am sure you knew that )

Huh? [img]smile.gif[/img] Do you really think so??? [img]smile.gif[/img] Nahhhhhhh...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by ian:
    That may very well be the single dumbest post ever posted in VHLinks history. Wow. If you believe even half of that then you have been listening to WAY too much Limbaugh.
    Got ian to post though, didn't I?

(a little vhlinks trivia for ya kiddies, ian was one of the OG mods at this board. A legend if you will)

I havn't listened to Limbaugh in YEARS. I'd say a good half of that is ENTIRELY true though. ENTIRELY. Without one incling of a doubt.

Discuss [img]smile.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

***grabs popcorn***

***keeps constant watch on thread***

should be a doosie folks! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Oh yeah, bolded items are those that rang a particularly loud ring of truth. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I realize that I'm one of about 3 conservative thinkers on this board (thats actually not ashamed of it but rather the opposite), but hey, what the hell? [img]smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just sat through 2 weeks of lecture on global warming with all this evidence supporting it and all this evidence against it.

Having weighed all the evidence I saw for both sides, I think it's happening.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dr. Love:
    I just sat through 2 weeks of lecture on global warming with all this evidence supporting it and all this evidence against it.

I agree that global warming is likely occurring. But the important question is whether it is mostly caused by human activity (meaning we can prevent some of it) or is it mostly caused naturally (meaning we can't prevent most of it). After looking at all the evidence that has been compiled from all viewpoints on this subject, I opt for the latter being the most likely reason.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Seenbad....I have seen that before, but it sounds better every time I read it. time to copy and forward...spread the good word.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by seenbad:
    16. The way to improve public schools is to give more money and power to the
    very people who have misused that power and money to destroy the public
    schools.
    Amen. I can never figure out why the solution to every problem in the world seems to be "throw money at it." Never mind the fact that the people in charge screwed things up as it is, just throw some more money at them, dazzle the constituancy with statistics that mean nothing, and continue to spend all your time (only in election years, however) worried about how to make more old farts vote for you by promising them free medication or something.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Delighted Romeo:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dr. Love:

I agree that global warming is likely occurring. But the important question is whether it is mostly caused by human activity (meaning we can prevent some of it) or is it mostly caused naturally (meaning we can't prevent most of it). After looking at all the evidence that has been compiled from all viewpoints on this subject, I opt for the latter being the most likely reason.</font>[/QUOTE]I've been pulling an all-nighter, so my memory isn't grand, but I'll relay a bit of what I recall. Besides, it's a good chance for me to see if I can remember what'll be on my final.

Basically, there are 4 gases in the atmosphere that act as greenhouse gases. I'll rate them from strongest to weakest.

1. Methane (this isn't a problem, though, because there's not much of it in the atmosphere)

2. Water Vapor. We can't do anything about this, though, because it's part of the natural cycle.

3. Carbon Dioxide. This has spiked tremendously over the last century due mostly to the burning of fossil fuels.

4. CFCs. This has been reduced dramatically, though, and will likely taper off.

I had tended to believe that the whole process wasn't a big deal and was mostly natural until I went through the class. We saw a few things that underscored it for me greatly.

The biggest thing was the tree samples. By analyzing a core taken from trees around the world, they were able to establish baseline temperatures for the world over a good couple of thousand years.

There was a trend where it would get warmer and cooler and so forth, and that was a natural process. And then, strangely, just a few years after the Industrial Revolution started, you saw the temperatures start rising.

Seeing the graph chart was a little more alarming, cause you had a pretty gentle wave until the Industrial Revolution, and then it went up at a very steep angle.

The professor said that the theory was that because of all the carbon dioxides being released into the atmosphere (when you burn carbon, carbon dioxide is released as a byproduct -- and coal is almost pure carbon), the temperature was rising. He also said that it wouldn't be such a problem except that people were cutting down so many trees that the planet couldn't manage the situation that well.

Well, then I thought that perhaps it was mainly a problem with power plants and loggers, except that when we started to look at the pollution levels of major cities and the average consumption of gasoline, and then how much CO2 and other things were released by an automobile, I started to accept the idea that it's a compound problem that also includes transportation.

The pictures of the major cities with huge brown clouds above them wasn't that pleasant to see, either. Having learned what is in those clouds, and what it does to your body (coupled with the fact that I learned that once your body absorbs some of those compounds, they never leave your body and can easily build up to deadly levels), I've decided that if I can ever afford it, I'm moving to the middle of nowhere, as far from cities as I can.

But I rather think I'm screwed after 22 years in the city.

Anyway, my point is that I think that it's definitely a problem that we're contributing to, whether it's a natural phenomenon or not, and that the problem would be much less severe if we would stop contributing to it.

Check this quote out. (I'll post the whole article here for you guys, but I found this compelling)

“For every (Fahrenheit) degree increase in the mean annual temperature near Greenland, the rate of sea level rise increases by about 10 percent,” climatologist Konrad Steffen said in the statement.

That's a lot of freakin' water for ONE DEGREE Fahrenheit.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ian:
    "Single dumbest post ever posted in VHLinks history"?!? Does the term "hyperbole" mean anything to you?!?

Of course, the list is full of stereotypes, simplicity and generalities but many items on this list have some tinge of truth. I would just change the title of the thread from "To be a Democrat, you have to ..." to "To be a Left-Wing Extremist, you have to ..." as most of the items on this list are characteristic of the Left-Wing fringe, which comprise a minority of the Democratic Party IMO. BTW, someone could post a list of similar items mocking the Right-Wing/conservative point of view, too, and I'm sure most Lefties on this board would post, "Yeah, great post. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] "
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.msnbc.com/news/845113.asp?0dm=T18NN

New Arctic studies point to warming

Scientists see ‘compelling evidence something is changing’

NASA satellites and radar helped construct this map of the Arctic, which scientists are using to study how and why the Arctic's sea ice cover is changing. Sea ice is a key barometer of global climate conditions.

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 9 — Although surrounded by this tourist city’s famed sights, earth scientists meeting here this week are instead eyeing issues from around the globe, and in particular new studies indicating a chilling pattern: The northernmost reaches of the Earth are warming — reducing the sea ice across the Arctic Ocean, melting the ice sheet in Greenland and spreading shrubs into the Alaskan tundra.

‘By 2050 ... we might be approaching no ice at all during the summer months.’
    — MARK SERREZE
    National Snow and Ice Data Center

TAKEN INDIVIDUALLY, the changes suggest localized alterations in the climate, not global shifts that might then be traced to manmade emissions of greenhouse gases, which many scientists fear are warming the globe.
    But the scientists who presented the studies felt that taken together, they provide dramatic evidence of much wider warming.
    “If you look at all the data sets together, they do provide compelling evidence something is changing over a great area,” Larry Hinzman, of the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, told peers and reporters Saturday at the meeting of the American Geophysical Union.

HUMAN OR NATURAL CHANGE?
    One study tied the sea ice loss to a very stormy summer and to unusually warm temperatures last summer over much of the Arctic Ocean.
    “We believe these two factors contributed to extensive melt and break-up of the icepack,” said Mark Serreze, the study’s lead author and a researcher at the National Snow and Ice Data Center, a U.S. government agency housed at the University of Colorado, Boulder.
    Natural variability could be behind the changes, but so too could greenhouse gas emissions, or even a combination of the two, the scientists said.
    Serreze said that in addition to warmer temperatures — which could be part of a natural cycle or tied to greenhouse gases — depletion of the ozone layer due to pollution might also play a role. The so-called ozone hole is expected to gradually shrink after nations in 1987 agreed to slash emissions of chlorofluorocarbons, a chemical that was eating away at part of the upper ozone.
    “The real question is, is this recent trend unusual, is this recent trend cause for concern that we are having an effect? The answer seems to be yes,” said Serreze, whose team also studied the Greenland melt.
    In a statement issued with the study, Serreze said it’s “likely that sea ice extent will continue to decline over the 21st century as the climate warms.
    “With these trends,” he added, “we may see an approximate 20 percent reduction in the annual mean sea ice by 2050, and by then we might be approaching no ice at all during the summer months.”
    A new five-year research strategy proposed by Bush administration officials, and now being reviewed by scientists, asserts that people clearly are agents of environmental change, though it is still unclear how much human activity contributes.
    Having backed out of a U.N. climate treaty that required mandatory emission cuts, President Bush wants industry to voluntarily cut smokestack and tailpipe emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases.
    Solar input
    A third of the sun's energy is reflected back into space after hitting Earth's upper atmosphere, but two thirds warms the planet and drives its weather engine.
    The atmosphere
    A delicate balance of gases gives Earth its livable temperature. Known as "greenhouse" gases because they trap heat inside the atmosphere, they send a portion of that heat back to Earth's surface. The gases include water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.
    The oceans
    Covering two thirds of Earth, oceans are the key source of moisture in the air and they store heat efficiently, transporting it thousands of miles. The oceans and marine life also consume huge amounts of carbon dioxide.
    The water cycle
    Higher air temperatures can increase water evaporation and melting of ice. And while water vapor is the most potent greenhouse gas, clouds also affect evaporation, creating a cooling effect.
    Clouds
    They both cool Earth by reflecting solar energy and warm Earth by trapping heat being radiated up from the surface.
    Ice and snow
    The whiteness of ice and snow reflects heat out, cooling the planet. When ice melts into the sea, that drives heat from the ocean.
    Land surface
    Mountain ranges can block clouds, creating ‘dry’ shadows downwind. Sloping land allows more water runoff, leaving the land and air drier. A tropical forest will soak up carbon dioxide, but once cleared for cattle ranching, the same land becomes a source of methane, a greenhouse gas.
    Human influences
    Humans might be magnifying warming by adding to the greenhouse gases naturally present in the atmosphere. Fuel use is the chief cause of rising carbon dioxide levels. On the other hand, humans create temporary, localized cooling effects through the use of aerosols, such as smoke and sulfates from industry, which reflect sunlight away from Earth.

Source: National Geographic; MSNBC
    Printable version

STUDY DATA
    The evidence laid out by scientists included these findings:
    Greenland: Satellite data show the island last summer underwent the greatest area of melt across its mammoth ice sheet in 24 years of measurements. Since 1979, the melt area has grown by 16 percent and is affecting higher and higher elevations.
    The melt, across some 265,000 square miles, comes as Greenland experiences a warm spell unseen since the 1930s.
    Sea ice: The floating mantle of ice that covers the Arctic Ocean throughout much of the year shrank this last summer to the lowest level on record. In September, sea ice extent was 4 percent lower that that seen in any previous September since satellite monitoring began in 1978.
    “What we saw really surprised us,” Ted Scambos, a researcher at the data center, said in the statement. “Not only was sea ice retreating in nearly every sector, but the interior ice was unusually thin and spread out.”
    Study co-author James Maslanik said it’s likely that the sea ice level was the lowest since the early 1950s and possibly the lowest in several centuries.
    “We saw an unusually pronounced loss of ice in the Beaufort, Chukchi, East Siberian and Laptev Seas,” added researcher Julienne Stroeve.
    Alaska’s tundra: Shrubs are pushing farther northward, growing in areas that were void of trees as little as 50 years ago, said F. Stuart Chapin of the Institute of Arctic Biology at University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
    Chapin co-authored a study showing that the extra vegetation warms the soil and air around it. That, in turn, was offered as an explanation for a recent warming trend in Alaska’s tundra.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Climate concerns by region
    Scientists working with the U.N. climate change program in 2001 reported on potential impacts worldwide. Click on a region for details.
    AfricaAsiaAustralia & New ZealandEuropeLatin AmericaNorth AmericaNorth, south polesSmall island states
    •Adaptive capacity of humans is low and vulnerability high.
    •Food security would diminish if, as projected, grain yields decrease.
    •Major rivers are highly sensitive to climate variation. Average runoff and water availability would decrease in Mediterranean and southern countries of Africa.
    •The range of infectious diseases would spread.
    •Desertification would be exacerbated.
    •Increases in droughts, floods and other extreme events would add to stresses on water and health.
    •Significant extinctions of species are projected.
    •Coastal settlements would be adversely impacted by sea level rise.
    •Adaptive capacity of humans is low and vulnerability high in Asia's developing countries.
    •Arid, tropical and temperate areas face reduced food security if agricultural productivity falls. Northern areas would see more agricultural opportunities.
    •Runoff and water supplies would decrease in arid and semi-arid Asia, but increase in northern Asia.
    •Health would be threatened by possible increased exposure to vector-borne diseases in some areas.
    •Sea level rise and more tropical cyclones as well as rainfall would displace tens of millions of people.
    •Adaptive capacity of humans is high except for some like indigenous groups, who face high vulnerability.
    •Water is likely to be a key issue due to projected drying trends.
    •Increases in the intensity of heavy rains and cyclones would raise the risks to life and property.
    •Coral reefs, wetlands and alpine systems are among the habitat particularly vulnerable to climate change.

•Adaptive capacity for humans is high, though southern Europe is more vulnerable than the north.
    •Summer runoff, water supply and soil moisture are likely to decrease in the already drought-prone south.
    •Flood hazards will increase across Europe, with coastal areas also seeing increased erosion and loss of wetlands.
    •Agriculture will expand in northern Europe, decrease in the south.
    •Some species would be threatened by a shift north of certain habitats.
    •Heat waves might change summer destinations, less reliable snow might impact winter tourism.

•Adaptive capacity of humans is low and vulnerability high.
    •Retreat of glaciers along the Andes would reduce water supply in some areas.
    •Floods and droughts would become more frequent, degrading water quality in some areas.
    •The range of vector-borne diseases would spread south and to higher elevations.
    •Crop yields would decrease in many areas, subsistence farming in northeastern Brazil would be threatened.
    •Mangrove ecosystems would be harmed by sea level rise.
    •The rate of biodiversity loss would increase.

•Adaptive capacity of humans is high but indigenous groups are more vulnerable.
    •Farming output in the U.S. Great Plains and Canada's Prairies would decline, while some areas would benefit.
    •Western watersheds that rely on snowmelt would peak earlier in spring, possibly reducing summer flows.
    •Prairie wetlands, alpine tundra and cold water ecosystems would be at risk and effective adaptation is unlikely.
    •Sea level rise would cause erosion, flooding, loss of wetlands and storm surges, especially in Florida and much of the Atlantic Coast.

•Indigenous peoples have little capacity and few options for adaptation.
    •Climate change here is expected to be among the greatest of any region on Earth, and would last centuries.
    •Species might begin to migrate.

•Adaptive capacity of humans is generally low and vulnerability high.
    •These are among the countries likely to be most seriously impacted.
    •Coral reefs would see higher die-offs, affecting reef fisheries as well.
    •Rising seas would affect tourism and local water supplies.

Source: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BALANCING ACT
    In describing their results, the University of Colorado researchers noted the delicate balance played by polar ice.
    In spring and summer, ice cools the Earth by reflecting lots of solar radiation back out into the atmosphere, the scientists said in their statement. In winter, ice cover slows heat loss from relatively warm ocean water to the cold atmosphere.
    Polar ice in effect moderates the global energy balance, Scambos noted, and a decline in ice escalates warming.
    In the case of Greenland’s ice sheet, the scientists estimated that a warmer climate there would raise sea levels — not so much due to melting but to the ice sheet’s loss of reflective power.

Currently the oceans are rising by a little more than half an inch per decade, the researchers said.
    “For every (Fahrenheit) degree increase in the mean annual temperature near Greenland, the rate of sea level rise increases by about 10 percent,” climatologist Konrad Steffen said in the statement.
    Additional background is online at nsidc.org/news/seaice/.

MSNBC.com’s Miguel Llanos and The Associated Press contributed to this report.