Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 814 Times in 561 Posts

Premium Member
    This is a football related thread, but those who don't care about football or sports in general can weigh in as well. Yesterday, Tampa Bay coach Tony Dungy kept star player Warren Sapp on the sidelines for the first quarter, apparently for missing a meeting. The Buccaneers lost, and while it's hard to say that the outcome would've been different had Sapp played the whole game, it could've had an effect. I remember former Patriots coach Pete Carroll doing this for similar reasons to one of his wide receivers in a game against the Jets that the Patriots lost. I know a coach needs to be able to discipline his players and set an example - but should he do it during a game when a vital player's absence could lead to a loss and thus not only does that player suffer, but the whole team as well? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to make him run some extra laps or fine him or something? Just wondering what your thoughts are.

"Goin' to the ocean
    Why don't you come with me
    We'll slide right off
    The backside
    Of a dream"

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit

03.03.15 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I think Dungy did what he felt he had to. He's an awsome coach, and understands his players well. Would Sapp care about money or a few laps? Probably not. He's a competitor, and had to feel awful not being in the game. It also sends a message to the other players.

Same situation with Owens last week. Coaches need to control their players and demand the best from them. Even the stars. Some you fine, some you make work, and some you sit. Depends on the player.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 06:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with MikeL. Fining him would have done nothing. The only thing that works with a player of Sapp's caliber making that type of money is to sit his ass down for awhile and embarrass him. Wounding his pride would do more for discipline than wounding his wallet. Was it worth it? Most likely - I don't think any Buc player will test Tony Dungy anytime soon.