Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What instrument is Eddie playing on Sunday Afternoon in the Park, is it a guitar or a keyboard, how is getting that strange sound out of either of them.

Also, what am I hearing at the beginning of Tora! Tora!. I just can't seem to figure out what it is.
    "I'm takin' whiskey to the party tonight, and I'm lookin' for somebody to squeeze." - Romeo Delight

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" is a synth and not a guitar but i am positive that the beginning of "Tora Tora" is a guitar doing whammy dives but it's being played backwards. They flipped the tape over so the dive is the going from low to high instead of high to low. It's the same thing they did with the intro to "And the Cradle Will Rock..." - on that tune eddie was doing pick scrapes and picking behind the nut through an MXR Flanger and they simply flipped the tape over and played it backwards so the attack is coming from the beginning instead of the end.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AxeSlinger84:
    I'm pretty sure "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" is a synth and not a guitar but i am positive that the beginning of "Tora Tora" is a guitar doing whammy dives but it's being played backwards. They flipped the tape over so the dive is the going from low to high instead of high to low. It's the same thing they did with the intro to "And the Cradle Will Rock..." - on that tune eddie was doing pick scrapes and picking behind the nut through an MXR Flanger and they simply flipped the tape over and played it backwards so the attack is coming from the beginning instead of the end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'm pretty sure "Sunday Afternoon In The Park" is a synthesizer. "Tora Tora" is Eddie doing a bar dive on the low E and then picking the strings behind the nut. They played that backwards for the first of the song. "And The Cradle Will Rock" is NOT played backwards. In fact, Eddie doesn't even play a guitar on that song, he is playing a keyboard through his Marshall. During the intro part Eddie turns on his flanger and lets it sweep down and back.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I remember reading an EVH interview many years ago where he said that not only is the instrument used in SAITP a keyboard, but it was a total piece of junk keyboard that I recall him comparing to a child's toy.

The interview was focusing on the low tech/no tech approach Eddie had on the early albums. Anybody ever read that, or is my imagination just runnin' away with me? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've heard or read that SAITP is a Moog Synth. A buddy of mine has one of these. They're pretty cool, you can make a lot of weird sounds with these things. Also, I could be wrong on this but Mike is also playing along with the synth.

I love that tune. 'One Foot Out The Door' is a great tune as well, too bad they didn't extend that jam at the end another minute or two.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uh excuse me, i've read an interview where Ed HIMSELF states that the intro to "And the Cradle Will Rock..." is exactly what i just stated. http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp0480.html - Ah the link is right there to prove me right so read this and i will quote it...

"GP: What is the strange effect at the beginning of “And the Cradle Will Rock”? It resembles the sound of a prop plane starting up.

EVH: I pinged my strings above the nut and asked Ted to play it backwards so the attack comes at the end of the note. In conjunction with this, I scraped the springs in the back of my guitar. I also took my vibrato bar all the way down so that the strings were limp and then with my left thumb I flapped the low E string around the 3rd fret. Sounds great; I love it."

Note the word BACKWARDS... Get the facts before you go around telling it like it is.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't trying to piss you off by saying what I did, but since you had to say what you did again, I'll have to CORRECT you again. That is an error, they are talking about the intro to TORA TORA, *not* And The Cradle Will Rock. ATCWR is just a flanger. It is in TORA TORA that Eddie brings the bar all the way down, flaps the low E around, scrapes the springs, and picks the strings behind the nut. That is played backwards and it sounds like a plane starting up. Once again, this article is discussing the intro to TORA TORA, *not* And The Cradle Will Rock. If you want to hear the intro to TORA TORA played the way it is on the album, then the way Eddie actually played it, get the recording here: http://www.vhboots.com/cgtsnmv1.html
    then you can EASILY tell what Eddie's talking about. I know the facts.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well i must have interpreted it wrong. The way i read it confused me. I knew ATCWR is a wurlitzer through a flanger but i thought there was a guitar dubbed in there somewhere too. Someone also said that there in no guitar in the song when you can hear at the end a guitar come in and dub what the piano is playing. Sorry about the attitude, i was up late last night, was pissed off and drunk so that's why my post was so out of line.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uh excuse me, i've read an interview where Ed HIMSELF states that the intro to "And the Cradle Will Rock..." is exactly what i just stated. http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp0480.html - Ah the link is right there to prove me right so read this and i will quote it...

"GP: What is the strange effect at the beginning of “And the Cradle Will Rock”? It resembles the sound of a prop plane starting up.

EVH: I pinged my strings above the nut and asked Ted to play it backwards so the attack comes at the end of the note. In conjunction with this, I scraped the springs in the back of my guitar. I also took my vibrato bar all the way down so that the strings were limp and then with my left thumb I flapped the low E string around the 3rd fret. Sounds great; I love it."

Note the word BACKWARDS... Get the facts before you go around telling it like it is.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the way, I have an interview with Eddie from Guitar World (July of '85) and he states that "And The Cradle Will Rock" is a FLANGER, and "Tora Tora" is played backwards. There ya' go.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well i must have interpreted it wrong. The way i read it confused me. I knew ATCWR is a wurlitzer through a flanger but i thought there was a guitar dubbed in there somewhere too. Someone also said that there in no guitar in the song when you can hear at the end a guitar come in and dub what the piano is playing. Sorry about the attitude, i was up late last night, was pissed off and drunk so that's why my post was so out of line.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob, it happens.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I remember reading an EVH interview many years ago where he said that not only is the instrument used in SAITP a keyboard, but it was a total piece of junk keyboard that I recall him comparing to a child's toy.

The interview was focusing on the low tech/no tech approach Eddie had on the early albums. Anybody ever read that, or is my imagination just runnin' away with me? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Glenn, I read that interview too. Eddie did say that the keyboard he used was piece of junk kid's toy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcgvh:

Yes, I'm pretty sure "Sunday Afternoon In The Park" is a synthesizer. "Tora Tora" is Eddie doing a bar dive on the low E and then picking the strings behind the nut. They played that backwards for the first of the song. "And The Cradle Will Rock" is NOT played backwards. In fact, Eddie doesn't even play a guitar on that song, he is playing a keyboard through his Marshall. During the intro part Eddie turns on his flanger and lets it sweep down and back.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have that interveiw in a magazine...seems someone changed tora tora to atcwr ...atcwr is a wurlitzer electric piano played thru his marshall stack with the flanger...saitp was a mini moog synth, maybe with the flanger too?....ok god?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The keyboard in question (SAITP) was an Electro-Harmonix run through his Marshall.

"Cradle" featured a Wurlitzer keyboard run through the Marshalls, and yes - flanged. There are guitar tracks on the tune, regardless of what anyone has been told.