On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anyone know where ed actually came up with the idea for the famous striped design? also, did he trademark it?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the white and black guitar that is on the cover of the first VH album is the same guitar that became the red/white/black Frankenstrat.

The black and white guitar was originally painted black, and then Eddie taped stripes on it and then repainted it white; so when those stripes were removed, that was the black stripes on the Van Halen cover.

The guitar was painted in the red/white/black colors sometime in either late 1978 or 1979. Many photos from the 1979 tour show Eddie playing the Frankenstrat with those colors.

Having said all that, I'm not sure where Eddie actually got the idea for it, and I don't know if he ever trademarked it; though he should have. I wish you could buy some kind of stencil-type kit that would allow you to paint a guitar in the famous striped design. I've got a cheap white strat style guitar and I'd love to stripe it, but I know I'd screw it up and it would look shitty.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Well this question did kind of ring a bell with me, so I thought I'd go diggin' around the t5 archives. Do know if this really answers the question, but it is cool. Anyway here goes.

Wally Olney says that one day he was with Ed and helped him paint that guitar. Ed was pissed off at poor ticket sales to a concert at the Coliseum. As it turned out, THAT was the first year of the Long Beach Grand Prix. Everyone was going to the race, and not the show. In a nutshell, Olney says that Eddie was rambling on about how pissed he was etc, and said, "Nobody is comming to our show!" "They want to go to a fucking car race! "Nobody likes me. I'm painting my fucking guitar because everyone is copying it! I'm going to be different!"

Not really sure if that answers your question, but the first GP of Long Beach was in 1978 I do believe. So maybe THIS is when Ed painted his Franky Red Black and White? Out.

Edit. I got this from the Inside issue # 8. Out.

[This message has been edited by track 5 (edited January 22, 2001 at 07:01 PM).]

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Eddie should have trademarked it, right on !
    I have the shirt with the striped shoes and
    its my favorite t-shirt !!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Here's a quote from the 9th issue of the INSIDE about the Frankenstrat.

Some time in 1979 (after recording Van Halen II), Edward repainted the body with his now-infamous red, black, and white striped concoction due to the fact that the original white and black design was being copied and sold to the general public on mass-produced guitars.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Hello Mr. Uppercut, how nice to have avoided you

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just want to know what he was thinking or if he was half-baked putting on the duct tape to spraint over? Or he mighta been high from the fumes n' shit right? lol ...

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

Well, let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look kids!?, Woah!!!

G4 guitar files at www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's. Username and password are vhlinks.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed should go back to using striped guitars like he did at the vegas show, it looked so cool.Its like his own signature you just know its Ed when you see those colours.Its part of him and he should be proud of it, as it shows his individuality.

------------------
    VAN HALEN FOREVER!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Does anyone else find it interesting that Eddie created what is usually considered his definitive guitar music when he was playing on simpler, almost thrown together instruments?

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Does anyone else find it interesting that Eddie created what is usually considered his definitive guitar music when he was playing on simpler, almost thrown together instruments?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what makes him all the more amazing Glenn

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There IS and WILL BE only one EVH!!!

No words "big" enough to describe what he can and has done! MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So Ed never copyrighted his own design?

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Ed always seems very aloof in the business part of what the does. Working for Michael Jackson for free, selling songs to rappers for basically nothing, letting Ray Daniels negotiate percantages of back albums.

I guess he is a true musician.

------------------
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Years ago my older brother told me that Ed stole (borrowed) the idea from a guitarist who played for Jethro Tull, I can't think of his name right off hand.....anyway I've never seen this cat play one......Although I did see this one guy on Saturday Night Live playing for Rick James , I believe it was '79 or '80 & he had an EXACT copy of Ed's black & white strat. I LMAO when I saw that.

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

"As a matter of fact, we're even gonna dedicate this next song....To all those people....Who make baggies."
    DLR-1976

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rxman:
    So Ed never copyrighted his own design?

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Ed always seems very aloof in the business part of what the does. Working for Michael Jackson for free, selling songs to rappers for basically nothing, letting Ray Daniels negotiate percantages of back albums.

I guess he is a true musician.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true. I remember reading a Guitar World interview with Ed after Kurt Cobain died, and he was pretty critical of him. He said that if Cobain was so distraught by success, then he should have just been a true musician and not even release his work. Add that to the quote Eddie said that he'd still be happy playing bars every night, and I truly believe that he's just happy making music. He really doesn't give a shit about the business end.

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth