Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    VH fan if lizard sings
    i saw this is the other post, but i want to address it here... i'm wondering, first of all, what is van halen's religious background?? anyway, being a christian myself (rare in here, it seems most people in here are catholic), but anyway, being a christian, the lyrics of this song bother me... (the exact reason i don't listen to this song)... "is it right, to take the easy way, close your eyes, get on your knees and pray, now your saved by a higher voice, givin' up, givin' up, givin' up your choice," etc., etc... because of this, i can't listen to this song... i'm wondering, if this song is written about kurt cobain... does the lyrics (lines such as that) refer to what he was thinking or something??? when he killed himself?? either way, the lyric is still in the song so i can't possibly be riding down the road singing words like that... being a christian who got on his knees and prayed and got saved by a higher voice... anybody see where i'm coming from? or am i the only person in here who feels this way?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I'm not Catholic, but I am Christian, and before you get our Catholic friends upset, I'm here to tell you that most of them are Christians as well!

VH fan if lizard sings
    okay okay, i meant, i'm a good old southern baptist... you get my point... i seriously hope nobody looks at that post and takes offense... there was absolutely no pun intended...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I find it fascinating that the lyrics to that song have touched you that way. And believe me, I totally respect your interpretation of them and your not wanting to listen to the song. I would have to think that when writing such lyrics, the line would blur somewhat as to how much it is about Kurt, and how much it is meant about Sam himself. Sammy himself probably couldn't tell you exactly where that line begins and ends. For me, that's what makes a lyric great; when you can interpret it in different ways.

To be honest Lizard, I'm not sure exactly which part offends you. Is it the interpretation that when you get down on your knees and accept God you give up your own choice, thereby becoming his slave? Understand, that's not my interpretation of religion, just so you know that I'm not trying to offend you.

VH fan if lizard sings
    glenn... wow!, a respectful reply asking me about my post without fussing and cussing (not saying you do that at all, referring to a LOT of other people)... thanks...

basically what bothers me is just what it says... "get on your knees and pray, now youre saved by a higher voice, givin' up... your choice"... i mean, to me, i take that as "youre giving up your choice by getting saved"... and that you shouldnt do that... i mean, i don't know... it may be giving up my choice, but that's what i'm supposed to do (according to my religion).. you know?!? so i'm not cutting on that particular part of the lyric... but, i mean, to me, it's saying you shouldnt do that... i.e. you shouldnt get saved... that's just my interpretation of it... i mean, "am i right, to take the easy way...?" to me (as a christian), that's not a lyric i want God to see me singing you know... what do you think?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy did say at the time that the song was referring to Kurt Cobain. But I believe it was also influenced by the events in Sammy's own life at the time. He was going through a divorce, and he had known Ed Leffler longer than the other guys at the time of his death.

As for the question of the lyrical reference to "giving up my choice". There are people who actually believe God is supposed to tell them to do everything, and that (metaphorically speaking) we're like the Hebrews wandering around in the desert otherwise. Nothing against anyone's religious viewpoint, but I prefer to think that God gave me a brain and He expects me to use it. We always have a choice. Some times the choices are wrong or just plain stupid. (and I won't even get into the eternal implications) but still are ours to make.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Eat Us And Smile!!

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited May 04, 2000 at 09:10 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ford, I gotta say you are probably the most articulate person to post on VHlinks. Whatever the issue, you get your point across so well.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I guess this is going to get a bit heavy, but here goes anyway. My wife's mother passed away a month ago, and needless to say, this last month has been terrible for her. My wife was raised Catholic, but it's been years since she paid any attention to religion at all. With her Mom dying, she's going through all the different emotions, one of which has her very angry at God and questioning why He would take such a good person when there are bad people in the world.

At one point last week she mentioned wanting to go and speak to a Priest and ask him why God did this. Now, understand, I respect religion and am all for it, but I personally haven't taken religion into my life. Anyway, I told her that if she wanted to talk to a Priest she should, but she was looking for an answer that doesn't exist on this earth.

I don't want to be mis-understood with this next part, so don't take this wrong. For me, religion is more "faith" than it is "fact". What I mean is, it's not about what you can see and touch, but more about what you believe and what your heart believes. A Priest is a man with supreme faith, but in the end is still a man.

In the end, and I think this ties back in with your point Lizard, the song questions religion, but doesn't dismiss it. My feeling is if you are a Christian, and you have a moment where you question your faith, when you get back on track it's possible that you can be an even stronger Christian. I believe that life is in many ways a leap of faith, and God has entrusted you, as a practicing Christian to take that leap knowing that you'll one day return. Whether you return this Sunday, or 100 sundays from now is up to you (or me or whoever). I hope this made some sense, sorry if it didn't.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I do know that Edward and Alex are Christian but I am not sure of what denomination. Gary is Catholic and Dave is Jewish. I do not know about Mike. I am actually not sure about sammy but I do know he is of Italian decent, so I will speculate that there is more then a 75% chance that he is of Christian upbringing. ( Sammy is notorious for mentioning "The Trinity" or references of the trinity and "Jesus" in his lyrics.)

VH fan if lizard sings
    good posts guys...

i do believe that God made us to where we have choices... we have to choose whether what religion we follow, we have to choose whether or not to believe in religion or not... so i believe God made us that way, and i do believe that sam was referring to religion... i think he was saying that by getting saved or whatever, youre giving up religious type choices or something, i don't know...
    as far as catholics, the only thing is that they believe you can only talk to God through a priest... if you want God to know something, or pray, or ask for forgiveness, you have to visit a priest who is a man, and who sins himself... but i'm not gonna get all deep into religion and stuff.. mainly because i don't know too much of what i'm talking about but, my thing doesnt branch too far from the basics of the lyrics... it sounds like sam says it's not right to get on your knees and get saved... so...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I haven't heard the song, but I just went over and checked out the full lyric, and it does seem as it is written from the perspective of someone experiencing a crisis of faith, 'cause after the part VH fan... mentions he says "If I'm wrong, then I'll pay for it, If I'm right, yeah you're gonna hear about it..." which to me seems to say if he's wrong about getting saved he's going to hell, but if he's right and there is no God, then he's gonna rub those who believed in a God's faces in it. I don't know if that's what Sammy really felt at the time or if that was just a perspective he was trying to achieve.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I'm impressed with the conduct on this subject. Usually a topic as potentially volitale as religion ends up with argument. I agree with what FORD said about God giving you a brain, and expecting us to use it. I personally know people who actually pray for parking spots to come open. Now to me, that is wasting you're energy and God's time (not that time has bearing on God, but you know what I mean.) Prayer is meant for important things, not parking spaces.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!!!

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"...David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you know also it s just a song....those are sammy s veiws , from his songs i dont think sammy s much into organized religion..which anyone likes or not is pretty corrupt in some areas...i think he s saying im a human being , i can think for myself , if i wanna make a decision it s my choice, whatever happens is between me and god or whoever and its none of your buisness....id say listen to Mine all mine if you want to hear an anti organized religion song....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the record, I am a Christian. And I don't particularly like the lyrics, but I'll listen to it every once in awhile. Like today for instance I listened to it but that is because a friend of mine lost her father this week and actually I had Balance in before I found that out and the random on it came out to track 3. Any way, as I have already addressed this issue once today in Song and Albums, I will repeat it. I don't remember the name of the topic but its in my forum and I had the last reply in there, so it should be on top. Look at Sams lyrics in Mine All Mine, Judgement Day, Humans Being. Judgement Day is all about putting of his saving until the day of Judgement. Humans Being, " There is just enough Christ in me to make me feel almost guity, is that why he made us breed, to make us see we're Humans Being." My point is I think Sammy is talking about his own salvation. Look at the lyrics for Don't Tell Me, in my opinion, I think Sam is saying Don't Tell Me about God's love. But like FORD said about Cobain, I'll believe him. Just cause FORD is always right. But Sammy made a sort of song like this on every album except 5150, which in its own right is odd (5150 ... criminally isane code for LA or whatever). That's why I think Sammy has unresolved issues with God but that's just my opinion.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!

Cause you can't get this stuff no more.

It's Showtime!

I feel like a running politician. Just trying to please you all the time.

[This message has been edited by redfire (edited May 04, 2000 at 12:09 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, I almost forgot about this one from 5150. In BOBW, Sam says "You don't have to die and go to heaven or hang around to be born again." That also has to do with being saved like Don't Tell Me and Judgement Day.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!

Cause you can't get this stuff no more.

It's Showtime!

I feel like a running politician. Just trying to please you all the time.