Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

When he used this for part of the guitar solo on the 1984 tour, the tray table was clear in any pictures I've ever seen. But I just saw that new guitar magazine with Eddie in the lower left corner of the cover, and in one of the pictures inside, he's playing the guitar in the standard way, but the photo is taken from below and it appears to have a piece of wood attached to the back of it. Has anyone seen this? Was the tray table sometimes wood instead of the clear plexi-glass?

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Glenn could you possibly send me that pic to my E-mail? I suppose I should go buy that issue. I'm kind of curious myself. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I didn't buy it. I was just in the airport today and I took a quick peek at it but I was pressed for time. The picture is definitely from the 1984 tour though. The piece of wood that appears to be on the back of the guitar (it's the 5150 Kramer I think) is maybe an inch thick. I hope you get to take a look at it, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks it is.

I should have bought the mag, maybe I'll go out and buy it tomorrow. If someone has it already and wants to post the picture here, that'd be great.

If I remember correctly, there's also a picture in there of Eddie playing the guitar with the plexi-glass tray table. Not sure about the text of the mag, but some cool pictures. The cover photo, even though it's small, is pretty bad though.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry what was that??
    Did you say Eddie had a woody whilest he played with his plexiglass??? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

LOL

Anyway, I bought the magazine today. There's a picture of Eddie onstage (1984 tour) playing the plexi glass tray table on page 10. It's a half page picture, with the other half being Hendrix.

The picture in question is on page 32. It's from the 1984 tour as well, and it's one of the Kramers, although it doesn't appear that it has either the 1984 or the 5150 black writing behind the tremolo. There is clearly a piece of wood on the back of the guitar.

I was hoping when I got it home that I wasn't just seeing things when I looked at it yesterday. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Haven't really looked through it much, but the Eddie pictures are pretty cool. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, I have no way to scan the pictures. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Glenn, if I'm not mistaken, I believe there was a wood prop that was part of the tray. I've got a poster (hopefully) somewhere of Ed playing it. I'll see if I can locate it.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Have you seen that new magazine Wolfman? Some cool pictures.

BTW, I just noticed right now that you're Mod'ing here now. Congrats man, good to have you on board. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's the deal. Eddie fashioned a wood tray prop for better ease with tapping. The wood piece you see is probably the tray, which is attached by a door hinge to the prop part which rests on his hip. All he has to do is lift the guitar and the prop hinges out.

After taking this invention on the road, the idea surfaced to patent the gizmo, the plexiglass, I assume, is a proto type.
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What magazine are ya'll talkin' about?

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paradiddle:
    Here's the deal. Eddie fashioned a wood tray prop for better ease with tapping. The wood piece you see is probably the tray, which is attached by a door hinge to the prop part which rests on his hip. All he has to do is lift the guitar and the prop hinges out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Funny though, the picture that shows the wood is where he's playing the guitar normally. The other picture where he's actually playing the tray table is taken from below, and you can see most of the back of the guitar, and there's no sheet of wood there, it's just the plexi-glass.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcgvh:
    What magazine are ya'll talkin' about?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's called Guitar World Presents Guitar Legends. Jimi Hendrix is the main cover shot, with smaller pictures of EVH, Dimebag Darrell and Wes Borland on the bottom. It should still be on the news stands. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.06 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now, don't all call me crazy at once.....but I thought the wood was first and was really too heavy/bulky and broke anyway and the plexiglass was of course lighter and easier to deal with. But, of course.....I could be wrong.

- Kerry
    On guitar polls: "If it were up to me, I'd put Eddie Van Halen in the first five slots, then everybody else." - Billy Gibbons, ZZ TOP.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Finally saw that mag today. I don't remember ever seeing that wood tray before, but sure enough, there it was. Beats the hell out of me - chicken? egg? fuck if I know. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

http://www.vhboots.com/bGraphics/bigbaddave_large.jpg

For anyone that wants to see it, if that link doesn't work, type it in. That's a new bootleg cover that shows Eddie playing the tray table with the wood prop. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]