Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Omaha, soon to be Phoenix again...Thank GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious, I pulled out Vince Neil's solo cd Exposed and noticed in the credits/thanks area a special thanks to Biff Malibu.

Now, I know VN opened for VH that year. (I sat front row!) However, VN's cd was done before the tour started. Are they friends? Did MA help with this cd? Could there be a different Biff Malibu running around out there?

Just interested. MO.

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I really don't know. It makes sense that they had probably crossed paths in the past, even before Vince opened for them. I think Biff Malibu is sort of Mikey's partying alter ego, and being that Vince has seen his share of parties, perhaps it was a nod in that sense.

Anyway, here's a cut and paste from a Motley site that I posted here months ago. It's a little off topic, but it does show an early VH/MC connection.

The guy being interviewed is Mike Flaherty, who was a part owner of Leathur Records which was Motleys' first record company.

MF: There was a disc jockey, a female disc jockey on a local station called KROQ, which at that time was new wave. This disc jockey was Michelle Nuval. I donít know if you remember the old TV series "Emergency"?

CC: (laughing) Yeh.

MF: She played a Nurse's Aide to Dixie McCall (actress - Julie London) in the TV show and later went on to become a disc jockey. She had this nightly show on Sunday night on KROQ where she would play some good stuff. I gave her a copy of Too Fast For Love and she started playing it. Actually, she was the first disc jockey in the world to play Motley Crue. Allan was happy that we were finally getting airplay. When he came back to town he invited this girl out for dinner at Carlos & Charlies on Sunset. Well it turns out, and I kind of hate to say this but itís the truth, he starts having an affair with this woman. Allan started neglecting the band and paying more attention to this woman than he was Motley Crue. There was a New Year Eve show at the Troubadour with Motley Crue (1981), and somehow Nikki, or it may have been Mick, had become friends with David Lee Roth. David had agreed to introduce the band in front of the audience at the Troubadour that night and to sing an encore of Jailhouse Rock with Vince.

CC: Right OK.

MF: This disc jockey, Michelle, told Allan that she wanted to sing the encore with David and Vince. Allan said, "Oh, that sounds like a good idea!" Well the band just about shit, especially Nikki. He was like, hereís Roth coming down here, a big star doiní us a favour. Roth was actually pretty cool about it. He didnít like the idea, but he was gonna go along with it. At the point of the final encore, Michelle and Allan are by the stage. She was ready to hop up onto stage and David came down stairs, ready to go on stage. When Michelle then hopped up on stage with Vince before David got to the stage, David turned around and walked away. He wouldnít do it. So it ended up just Michelle and Vince singing Jailhouse Rock.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Glenn. I'm sure they have crossed paths more than once.

The thing that gets me is, I've seen a few interviews where the Crue has bad mouthed VH in the worst way. Guess they worked things out!

Whats more amazing is that: 1)I even had that cd out, 2)I read the credit area of it, 3)I saw Biff Malibu!

Got to past the time somehow! MO.

------------------

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey now that you mention Vince opening up for VH...he was terrible, we booed his ass off the stage at the show...I felt bad for him and everything, but he really sucked that night.

------------------

Here's to your thin red line....MMMMMM I'm stepping over!

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MO Halen:
    The thing that gets me is, I've seen a few interviews where the Crue has bad mouthed VH in the worst way. Guess they worked things out!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We used to ride the bus in junior high to another school for industrial arts class. This was around 84 or 85, when Motley and VH were always in Circus and Hit Parader etc. Anyway, I remember someone saying that Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee had chased Dave once and when they caught him, they bit him, because that was some initiation into a gang. I can recall thinking that these rock and roll boys in L.A. must be insane. It never occured to me at the time to question why Dave (king o' the rock and roll world at the time) would want to be in any gang that Motley were in.

The whole VH/MC badmouthing thing makes me think that the rock and roll world is (mostly) alot like professional wrestling. Everyone badmouths everyone else to get publicity, and then they all party together at the end of the day.

BTW, Rat Salad, your post had me laughing my ass off; "I felt bad for Vince, but we booed his ass offstage".

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to save face, I didn't buy the cd (Exposed), I won it along with front row tix! Compliments of The Rock 98.9 in Kansas City.

Does anyone from KC remeber the "what would you do to meet VH" contest that year(RHRN)? Outside Hooters in OP.
    Well, I was the one covered in whip cream (not much else), a huge foam Texas 10 gallon hat, cowboy boots, gun holster, etc... singing Happy Trails! Better yet, they played it live on the radio. I had friends coming up to me for weeks saying, "was that you?" I'm not proud of it, but it got me front row!

BTW, we booed also, Steve Stevens couldn't handle the "EDDIE...EDDIE...EDDIE" chants too well! MO.

------------------

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Glenn...I always kinda aim for the shits and giggles

But Ya MO....there were Eddie chants while they played and boos in between songs...it was wild....but ya know those damn Halen concertgoers, they are a rowdy bunch.

oops...had to edit here and tell ya that that thing ya did was cool as hell for the front row seats.
    ------------------

Here's to your thin red line....MMMMMM I'm stepping over!

[This message has been edited by Rat Salad (edited January 29, 2001 at 12:09 PM).]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MO Halen:
    Does anyone from KC remeber the "what would you do to meet VH" contest that year(RHRN)? Outside Hooters in OP.
    Well, I was the one covered in whip cream (not much else), a huge foam Texas 10 gallon hat, cowboy boots, gun holster, etc... singing Happy Trails!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now THAT is a fan.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, according to legend, Dave took offense to Motley, and maybe their style. I think he took a shot at Vince Neil's stage presence being similar to Dave's, and he called him "Junior", which in turn started the short-lived war. Also, in Dave's book, when he's talking about his interview with Much Music in Canada, "You could tell from his smug attitude that he thought he was dealing witht he guy from Motley Crue." Nikki's always said that Roth was one of his biggest influences in music.

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

guitarsolos
    Vince Neil sucked when he opened for VH? Must have been that one show...I saw the show at Alpine Valley...his band did Motley songs better than Motley live. Not a better "show" than Motley though. Maybe your fans were just hungry for some VH...

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

MO!!

I was at that KC RHRN show, too! I remember the chorus of BOO's between Vince Neil songs and some of the guys around me laughing at Vince's drummer, Vikki Fox (wasn't that his name?). Anyway, this guy was a REAL pretty boy...good drummer, but spent too much time w/the mascara.

What was the date of that show? I'm trying to locate a boot of that show but am not having much luck.

------------------
    "Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we try and have a special surprise for you here and tonite we got a whole sh*tload of 'em for you and right now, we want to whip the first one at you here! Y'know, usually Ed doesn't sing this part of the song and when he does tonight for the first time, you'll find out why!"

-David Lee Roth, Milwaukee 1980

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:

What was the date of that show? I'm trying to locate a boot of that show but am not having much luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Was that at the Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs Kansas? Did a quick check and the VHE shows that show with all that informaton except they show the state as being MO. Checking the official site they show it as being Kansas, which a quick look at an atlas seems to bear out.

Anyway, if so, that show was on July 27, 1993.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Someone get that man a blue ribbon!!

That's it, Glenn!!! I knew it was a summer show, but i forgot the actual date and all. Now, all I have to do is find a boot of that concert...

Anyone?

Thanks again, Master Yoda! The Force is strong with you!

------------------
    "Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we try and have a special surprise for you here and tonite we got a whole sh*tload of 'em for you and right now, we want to whip the first one at you here! Y'know, usually Ed doesn't sing this part of the song and when he does tonight for the first time, you'll find out why!"

-David Lee Roth, Milwaukee 1980

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking about feuds, does anyone know the full deal with Quiet Riot? I know they were rivals in the early backyard parties and club days, then on the `84 tour Dave allegedly slagged them off so bad every nite it finished their carreer., Also I read that Ed didn`t get along with Randy Rhoads either.
    Glenn????

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've never read anything on Eddie's feelings towards Randy except for a tiny clip after he died with Eddie saying it was unfortunate (I'll do a search tonight on the net and see if I can find that quote). I don't have the quote here, I read it in a book. I seem to recall a quote from Randy that was very complimentary towards EVH. My man T5 has probably got some stuff on this in his vaults.

This quote here is from Chris Holmes of WASP, who grew up around the club era "feud" between Quiet Riot and Van Halen;

Well, every band had their rivals and back then, Quiet Riot was Van Halen's. They were about the same age. The San Fernando people were Quiet Riot fans and San Gabriel people were Van Halen fans. I just never liked Quiet Riot. I used to make fun of them because they wore polka dots and bow ties, and Van Halen was like a drunk party band all the time. I didn't like Randy Rhoads either. I don't want to say anything bad about the guy, but there's always rivals.

What else did Dave say about Quiet Riot on the 1984 tour? The only thing I've heard is that he'd use them in his Jack Daniels quote, "yeah this is real whiskey, this ain't fuckin Quiet Riot up here".

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com