Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parachuting VH

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I have always heard that VH on I think the DD tour had jumped from an airplane and parachuted into miami stadium. In fact Al sprained his ankle and almost didn't play.

Now for the 101:

What kind of plane did they jump from? And who's idea was it to do this? Was this their first jump?

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"I think your playing is cool man, pretty inventive stuff!" -DIF

www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's "scents". Username and password are vhlinks. Forget about the singing just go straight to the solo!

"It's like someone stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two hand tapping technique

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't beleive they did the Jump. It was a hoax. The real sky divers jumped, landed out of site, and Van Halen ran out dressed just like the real parachuters. At least that's the one I know about.

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It actually happened at the Anaheim stadium in 1978, and Blueeyed is right, they didn't actually parachute. It was on September 23, 1978. Dave tells the story in his book; I think he said that the band were dressed in identical parachute outfits as the actual jumpers, so when the jumpers hit the ground they were rushed into a truck that VH was already in. So anyone who could see saw the guys who actually jumped get in, and then VH get out, thereby allowing the illusion that VH were the ones who parachuted.

Then VH went onstage in the jumper outfits and then took them off to play. Somewhere in there Alex twisted his ankle.

The plane was a Corvair 7202-BR. It was Dave's idea, though obviously they didn't actually do the jump.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

BTW, I'm completely bullshitting about the plane. I have no idea what kind of plane was used.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    BTW, I'm completely bullshitting about the plane.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMFAO Glenn! Waah! You actually had me thinkin' that it was the actual plane. lol .. until I read your next post. D'oh! lol ...

That's some funny ass shit broham!

Late

------------------

"I think your playing is cool man, pretty inventive stuff!" -DIF

www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's "scents". Username and password are vhlinks. Forget about the singing just go straight to the solo!

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two hand tapping technique

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Well, Glenn has pretty much covered it (as usual ), but for what it's worth, here's Ed telling the story from his April '96 Guitar World interview:

"That was one of Roth's big ideas. I'm not even sure why, but he said, "Let's parachute into the stadium." Of course we couldn't do it ourselves, so we hired four sky divers to jump out of an airplane right before our set. The idea was that we would wear identical gear and run on stage and pretend it was us that jumped out of the plane. So there we were, wearing these crazy, heavy outfits, sweating our balls off, waiting for the sky divers to come down so we could jump on stage. It was so silly, and it almost turned into a complete catastrophe, because while we were trying to get out of the gear, Al severely twisted his ankle and had to play the show with practically a broken foot."

------------------
    E.B.A.S.

VAN HALEN I - 1984: The greatest ride in Rock & Roll history ...
    5150 - VAN HALEN 3: Not a bad trip either ...

"Someone asked me the other day what I thought I had learned about making music after all these years, and I said, 'Nothing'." -EVH

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex is some trooper! Playing with a twisted ankle and then there's the Stones show with the broken hand and shoelace thing...Can there be any doubt he's the greatest?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't forget the neckbrace on the 95' tour too!

------------------

Well let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look kids!? Woah!!!

www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's "scents". Username and password are vhlinks.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graagwillen_Alex:
    and then there's the Stones show with the broken hand and shoelace thing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have no idea about these two things, could you explain them?

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfie3:
    here's Ed telling the story from his April '96 Guitar World interview:

"That was one of Roth's big ideas. I'm not even sure why, but he said, "Let's parachute into the stadium." Of course we couldn't do it ourselves, so we hired four sky divers to jump out of an airplane right before our set. The idea was that we would wear identical gear and run on stage and pretend it was us that jumped out of the plane. So there we were, wearing these crazy, heavy outfits, sweating our balls off, waiting for the sky divers to come down so we could jump on stage. It was so silly, and it almost turned into a complete catastrophe, because while we were trying to get out of the gear, Al severely twisted his ankle and had to play the show with practically a broken foot."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can totally understand that Eddie is a musician first, and prefers that the music is the most important thing. But quotes like this frustrate me a bit, because it seems to show Eddies' complete inability to give Dave any credit for their success. Stunts like this added to the fun and the mystique of Van Halen, and helped to make them unique in a very un-original profession.

Sort of like the 1995 Rolling Stone interview where Eddie describes Dave's roll in Van Halen as "Shaking his ass. He was like an emcee, a clown. Then in the next sentence Eddie says I hope this isn't coming off like I'm slighting him, because he was great at what he did. But it totally comes off to me as if he's diminishing Dave's roll.

Anyway.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I totally agree with you Glenn. Eddie seems to have a God complex. Maybe even a case of LGD?

Van Halen ain't one person, it's all 4 of the motherfuckers.

------------------
    "The thing that inspires me the most is my bottle of Jack Daniels. It's my best friend in the world. Ol' Jack will never let you down. He's always there when you need him" - Nikki Sixx, Hit Parader magazine 1986

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6.30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>... But quotes like this frustrate me a bit, because it seems to show Eddies' complete inability to give Dave any credit for their success. Stunts like this added to the fun and the mystique of Van Halen, and helped to make them unique in a very un-original profession.

Sort of like the 1995 Rolling Stone interview where Eddie describes Dave's roll in Van Halen as "Shaking his ass. He was like an emcee, a clown. Then in the next sentence Eddie says I hope this isn't coming off like I'm slighting him, because he was great at what he did. But it totally comes off to me as if he's diminishing Dave's roll.

Anyway.

[/B]
    Glenn, I felt the same way also...but thought that maybe I wasn't being very "objective" since I'm a Dave fan.

------------------
    "My belligerent enthusiasm is as optimistic as ever" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Don't worry kat. We can all be objective about who we're fans for, but even those people we look up to need a little "come back to earth" every now and then. Think of it like we're parents and we love Ed and Dave a lot. However, their squabbling is more than we want to hear and we have to administer a "verbal" spanking to Ed.

"Now Ed, your mother and I love you very much, but quit squirting mustard all over Dave's finger painting. He's worked very hard on that. Now go tell him you're sorry!"

------------------
    "Whenever we come to Milwaukee, we try and have a special surprise for you here and tonite we got a whole sh*tload of 'em for you and right now, we want to whip the first one at you here! Y'know, usually Ed doesn't sing this part of the song and when he does tonight for the first time, you'll find out why!"

-David Lee Roth, Milwaukee 1980

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:

"Now Ed, your mother and I love you very much, but quit squirting mustard all over Dave's finger painting. He's worked very hard on that. Now go tell him you're sorry!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If only it were that easy.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Graagwillen_Alex:
    and then there's the Stones show with the broken hand and shoelace thing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have no idea about these two things, could you explain them?

Of course you know. Maybe I was unclear. Before opening for the Stones, Al broke his hand. Undaunted he secured the stick to his hand with a shoelace and the show went on as scheduled.