Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Patents pending

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How many patents does Eddie 1) already have; and 2) have pending? Exactly what are they for? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Not sure exactly what, but I know ed went nuts with it shortly after dave left the band. Around 1985 I think it was, I think I remember reading that he put in 5 or 6 patents on little doo dads he had made up for guitars. D-tuna may have gone in around then, and I think some three point shoulder strap thingy. a few other little nick nacks too.

I think he was probably around a lot of lawyers around that time so was probably advised to protect all his interests and assets including those he didnt even consider valuable.

Another great question! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

I'll take a stab at this, lawchick, since patents is an area I am quite familiar with (and I hope to be a bar certified patent attorney in three more months, hehe).

The only patent that I found on the USPTO's website (www.uspto.gov) was a design patent for the peghead scoop on the EVH Wolfgang series guitars. You can go to the USPTO website and look it up by searching the patent files by number and entering D388,117. I went ahead and took the liberty of listing the link to the part of the USPTO site that allows you to search by number Patent Search by Patent Number and the issued design patent for EVH's Wolfgang Peghead

EVH's Design Patent for Wolfgang Peghead.

Allegedly, the D-Tuner on the Wolfgang Series guitars is also patented, but I have yet to find a patent number for it, nor am I able to find it on the searchable database on the USPTO website.

Hope this helps.

[ August 27, 2001 at 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Olen ]
    "The love, the echoes of long ago . . . You needed the world to know, they are in Xanadu . . ."

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    And I don't think Eddie gets credit on the final product, but I know he had a serious hand in the final version of the Floyd. Maybe some of the axeheads can help me out on this one. I'm almost positve that Eddie actually helped Mr. Rose on the fine tunning aspect of the Floyd Rose. I don't think he gets a patent credit on it, but he probably should have. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Olen, good luck with the patent bar. And thanks for the link to the patent office! I should've thought to do that search myself, but, then, I'm only a products liability hack. (None of Eddie's inventions have injured anybody, have they? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

BTW, please excuse the accidental double posting of this thread, everybody. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by track 5:
    And I don't think Eddie gets credit on the final product, but I know he had a serious hand in the final version of the Floyd. Maybe some of the axeheads can help me out on this one. I'm almost positve that Eddie actually helped Mr. Rose on the fine tunning aspect of the Floyd Rose. I don't think he gets a patent credit on it, but he probably should have. Out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a patent on it. I remember reading something out of a guitar magazine at least 15-20 years old where Ed said something along the lines of Alex actually thinking of the fine-tuners but since there was no machine shop available or way to produce the idea they never were able to do anything about it. This was until Wayne Charvel and/or Lynn Ellsworth brought Floyd Rose's name up. I think Floyd Rose gave Ed a prototype, they refined it afterwards with the fine-tuners and the rest is history.

I'd be willing to lay down $100 that Ed doesn't have a patent on this thing. Since he was still in his early 20's at the time and still relatively new to the business a lot of people were trying to or were actually taking advantage of him and his ideas.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

If I remember my magazine stories correctly, EVH had a hand in the fine-tuning screws on the tail-end of the Floyd Rose Tremolo. I think the first prototype given to EVH did not give him the capability to fine tune the guitar once the locking nut was screwed down at the top end of the neck. He suggested a fine tuning mechanism (ie, screws). I think the second prototype was better, but he further suggested that the fine-tuning screw assembly give a player at least one full step of tuning ability (for instance, if the "E" string was properly tuned to "E" and the screw for that string was tightened down, then unscrewing the screw all the way out should put the "E" string at a "D" pitch).

I might continue to look for the D-tuner, b/c both the brochure and the peavey website claim that the D-tuner is patented.
    "The love, the echoes of long ago . . . You needed the world to know, they are in Xanadu . . ."

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

This is what I copied from my results at the us patent office. For further info, just search for the number at the site. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

PAT. NO. Title
    1 6,259,007 Musical instrument positioning device
    2 D441,391 Electric guitar or electric bass musical instrument
    3 D431,832 Musical instrument positioning device
    4 6,040,509 Ergonomic positioning apparatus for guitar or like instruments
    5 D421,766 Head for stringed instruments
    6 5,734,183 Heterojunction bipolar transistor structure
    7 D388,117 Guitar peghead
    8 5,596,158 Three-paint suspension of musical instruments

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

# 8 is supposed to be three POINT not paint btw. Good enough for government wirk I guess. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

To supplement Seenbad's post, here is the link to the non-design patent that has EVH's name on it (the patent numbers w/ a "D" at the beginning are design patents):

EVH's Lap Top Device - Patent No. 4,656,917

The other patent numbers Seenbad listed are in relation to variation on EVH's lap top device (the one he used during his solos during the 1984 tour, especially) that other inventors have improved upon, w/ the exception of No. 5,734,183, which relates to semi-conductors but does not mention EVH's invention(s) in the prior art.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

eddie also mentioned in the old interveiw i have about the floyd on the new kramer guitars that..."i am working on a new design with floyd rose with some fine tuners and stuff its gonna be called the eddie van halen model or something like that."
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.