Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

the whole band, when we all know that Eddie writes all the music and whoever sings write all lyrics. Is it a money/royalty thing?

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!
    "Van Halen is NOTHING without David Lee Roth!" - Howard Stern

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:08 PM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Probably just to avoid a lot of hassles trying to remember who came up with what - does Eddie show Alex how to play his drum parts? Does Eddie write the bass parts? We can pretty much figure Dave had nothing to contribute to "Cathedral" or "Eruption". Probably just an agreement they made starting out - split everything equal.

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, that always gave it more of a "band" sense to me. Look at Kiss and Aerosmith, they have people come in all the time now to co-write songs and I think it's a freaking joke!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING, OU812
    Last Online

11.14.13 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I know Poison also credits the whole band on every song no matter what.

------------------
    VAN HALEN NETWORK

[This message has been edited by scott5150 (edited June 15, 2000 at 05:24 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ed may come up with the idea, but like billy said, each guy comes up with their own parts, and as that happens to song changes and grows.
    Listen to III, that's what happens when Ed writes all of the music

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just asked a friend of mine about this a few hours ago then I see the topic posted here(weird). He has a CD out and has been around music most his life. I asked him about how a band writes a song but only 2 members names are listed. I then pointed out how VH always listed all 4 members names. (except for one of the songs of the Twister soundtrack?)Even on songs like eruption. It would seem to me that a song is lyrics + music. He said sometimes 1 person will write it and tell the others what he wants from them (bass, guitar, drums, vocals). He also pointed out that even though there might be 4 names listed like VH that one might get 70% royalties because they came up with most of the song and the others might get 10/10/10%. He said this is why one member might be alot richer in time than another and sometimes leads to bands breaking up because of it(money). He had pointed out how Pete Townsend wrote most of the Who's stuff and has made way more money than the others from the Who's music. A few other things he said that I thought were interesting were that Elvis's management would tell people that Elvis wouldn't record the song until he was given writing credit even though he didn't write any of the song. He also said that in the 50's and 60's when the people who searched for new talent found someone who had a song they thought might be a hit they would have the songwriting credit split between the talent agent and the artist even though the agent never wrote any of it. He also said that he saw VH twice in/around 77. He said all the buzz was about some guitar player.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This is something I always found funny about songs. Take the Who for example. Pete was the sole songwriter on a large percentage of Who songs, but listen to those amazing bass lines that Entwistle played, they helped change the structure of the songs. Not to mention the furious drumming of Keith Moon. I always preferred it the way Van Halen did it with giving the credit to all members, because it shows that they respect the contributions of the other members. It's like the time Ed and Sam were on Later with Bob Costas in 1992. I'll quote it here, pretty close to verbatum.

Bob: "So how does the songwriting work? You (Ed) write a majority of the music and you (Sam) write a majority of the words?"

Ed: "Pretty much, yeah"

Bob: "And Michael and Alex don't get involved?"

Ed and Sam (laughing) "Oh, they get involved"

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    I thought because of the copyright laws and such, It was divided up 4 equal parts. I have some video of Sammy making a joke about that. I think I read in a guitar mag. several years ago that a band gets roughly a dollar or two per album. Out.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, official writing credits are sometimes wrong. Bruce isn't credited on Maiden's Number Of The Beast but he co-wrote in half of the songs, for legal reasons.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!
    "Van Halen is NOTHING without David Lee Roth!" - Howard Stern