Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just curious as to whether VH has toyed w. the idea of releasing any of that miles and miles of tape they have stored in 5150. Maybe the fact that the computerized catalogue crashed at 5150 might have some answers. I remember Ed commenting on the crash of the studio's computer system around the winter of '98 in a radio interview.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Should put this thread onto the 3.16 train to the 101 Forum. It'll give me one more opportunity to preach about my beloved BOX SET.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    OK Glenn, go fo it man

Moving now

*soapbox alert*

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Don't mind if I do.

Okay, first off, let's be honest. A box set from Van Halen would have to be anywhere from 6 to 10 CD's. None of this career retrospective in 3 CD's garbage. First two CD's would have to be all the demos the band ever did that were completed. That's the WB demo, the Simmons Demo, the Cherokee demo and on into the latter days with stuff like Between us Two and TWILY. Also, there has to be one CD of a show from the club era, one CD of a show from the first world tour, two CD's of a show from the Fair Warning tour (Oakland?), and two CD's of a show from the 1984 tour. Then there has to be a single CD of a show from the 5150 tour, and a single CD of a show from the OU812 tour. Then, of course, there has to be a CD devoted to the stuff that was recorded with Gary before he left. And then there has to be a CD of rare songs (probably live versions) like Bullithead, Don't Call Us, Honolulu Baby, Eyes of the Nite etc. Plus a CD of cover songs, both early live ones and live versions of the ones that made it onto records. Plus, there has to be a CD of the entire keyboard thing that became 1984.

So far, that's 14 CD's in my dream box set, but I'm sure I could ( and will ) think of more. Dammit, am I asking to much???

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I like the concept Glenn, but I'm not sure you need CD's from darn near every tour as I'm sure there would be a lot of duplication. Just take the best live versions of songs from each of the tours, maybe devote 2 cds to each live era.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

As much as I joke about this, I'm actually totally serious about this being done. Van Halen is a band with a massive amount of history, and much of that history is unavailable except through bootlegging. I see the point about too many tours being done, but the reason I put it that way was this. The club era is just dying for a fixed up CD to let the world know how powerful this band was even before they had a record deal. And the first tour would be done because of the obvious fact of it being the first time they played the big stages. Now the FW show would be because that's sort of the era when alot of people think they were at the height of their live powers. The 1984 tour would be because it was the last one with Dave, and is therefore historic, but also because that was one their immense popularity was jacked up even higher. I guess the 5150 tour wouldn't need a CD because of LWAN, but the OU812 tour could definately use a live CD in my opinion. After that, I don't think there would need to be any live stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Oh shit, who let Glenn loose on this thread? Josh, we have rules about letting Glenn discuss his box set obsession. We're trying to get him help and now you're just enabling him. LOL!

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited July 06, 2000 at 02:23 PM).]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I definitely would like to hear some of the unreleased studio stuff. I just hope should the day come that they do a lot better than the Beatles Anthology. Just thought there were too many alternate takes of existing songs and not enough of the other stuff that is still out there.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

First off, Brett that is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I'm not obsessed, I'm just....uh....uh. Yeah, okay, I'm obsessed.

Billy, I see your point. If given the choice then I agree that they should concentrate on the unreleased stuff before the live stuff. It would be a shame to get a bunch of live albums, but have a lot of these rare songs left on the cutting room floor. And I know that there's no way any band is going to put out a box set the size of the one I'm looking for, so something has to give. I can dream, can't I? As I've said before, I'm willing to bite the bullet and personally go down to 5150 and oversee the compilation of this box set.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

When Its Love
    Last Online

11.18.06 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

****GLENN****

Read yer post..lettin loose on the idea of a box set. I love that idea also. However, ya mentioned something about a Cherokee Demo..What the hay is that? Can ya tell me anything about it? Like whus on it, etc. Thanks Glenn.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The Cherokee Demo was the first demo done by the band. It's referred to as that because it's believed that it was recorded in a tiny studio in California called Cherokee studios. It had Believe Me, Angel Eyes, Take Your Whiskey Home and In A Simple Rhyme. This was done prior to Michael Anthony being in the band, and featured Mark Stone on bass. Angel Eyes is on the Magic Mountain 1977 boot CD. The other three songs are on the Demo Daze boot. It's believed that this demo was recorded in 1974, though the VHE shows that it was possibly done as early as 1973. Hope that helps a bit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

When Its Love
    Last Online

11.18.06 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Glenn...I knew about the WB demo and the Simmons demo...knew also bout Mark Stone but had no idea what the Cherokee demo was. Thanks. Totally helps. I know I can always rely on ya.