Register

Thread: Humans Being

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is Humans Being about???? THIS IS NOT A TRIVIA QUESTION

Red-Balled Mammoth
    It's just an angry song. Some people may thing it was about what was going on with Sam and VH, some would say it's about Ray Danniels, and some would say it was about him not liking the Twister idea or the Best Of idea. Who knows. It's just an angry song. The video shows that!

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

http://www.vhnd.com/archive/press/gw0497.html

That's the link to a lengthy Sammy interview. I'll cut and paste a part of the interview about Humans Being below, but the whole interview is quite interesting.

GW: Eddie says that because you refused to fly in from Maui to the studio, you put the band in a tight spot as far as a deadline went for the song, so he had to come up with a title for it, "Humans Being," and a melody.

Hagar: Alex came up with that title. He had discussed it with me during the Balance tour because he thought it would be a cool theme to build a song around. Yes, they did come up with the melody. The reason I didn't fly over from Maui at their beck and call is my wife was about to have a baby at any time. Those guys knew that. But you know what, I still ended up flying back and forth three times to work with them. These guys wanted me to come back and forth so much, I finally ended up packing my bags and moving back to my home in San Francisco to have the baby, directly against the plans my wife and I had. These guys would not compromise and meet me halfway.

GW: When you did show up to work on the now re-christened "Humans Being," did you, Bruce and Eddie sit down together to finish the lyrics?

Hagar: Bruce and I wrote the lyrics, period. When they told me that the ballad wasn't going to be used for the soundtrack, and that they needed an additional minute and a half for the rocker, I headed out of the studio. I had to catch a plane in two hours to be with my wife. I didn't care anymore because I felt I'd been tricked all the way around. Eddie pleaded with me and said all they needed was just a minute and a half of music from me, and then I could go. He wanted me to chant something like, "Bah, bah, bah. I hate this, I hate that, you dirty rat." I looked at Eddie and told him that sucked. He just said, "Well, do something. All they need is a minute and a half; otherwise we'll just make an instrumental out of it." Bruce told me that all we needed was 16 words, two verses, and the song would be complete. I said okay, and came up with this line: "There is just enough Christ in me/To make me feel almost guilty/Is that why God made us bleed/To make us see we're humans being." I wrote those verses in about 10-15 minutes on the hood of a car with Bruce. It was so cheeseball the way it was done. We wrote the lyrics, I sang the song in three parts in about an hour and a half and split.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Interesting.

------------------
    E.B.A.S.

RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL - HOUSE OF PAIN: The greatest ride in Rock & Roll history ...
    GOOD ENOUGH - HOW MANY SAY I: Not a bad trip either ...

"Someone asked me the other day what I thought I had learned about making music after all these years, and I said, 'Nothing'." -EVH

crossing_over
    yeah i love this song!!!
    Jan de Bon said: "do not write about tornados" and thasīs why Humans Being donīt talk ībout tornados but anyway is an angry song of course...very true!!!
    thatīs what make us...HUMANS BEING...thatīs right!!!
    we are just humans being

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why youīre crossing over...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the article, Glenn.

------------------
    Dan Halen
    http://www.geocities.com/dan_halen27/main.html

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I remember that artice. I think the lyrics in that song are terrible. There is nothing there in that song lyrically to me. It's too bad that Sammy was forced to write it quickly. If he had more time to write it, i'm sure he would have made it a much better song.

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    Here's a shot heard round the world...
    Sometimes I just want to do nothing...

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is so weird how some people say Sammy wrote the lyrics. I have the 'Guitar World Presents: Eddie Van Halen" with previous interviews of Ed. In a 1997 interview he talks about how they scrapped Sam's lyrics, and he and Ted T. wrote ALL the lyrics and melody to the song. That's strange how Sam and Ed's stories are different (or maybe NOT so strange)

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS!!!

"If I were you, and you were me...wonder who I'd rather be" -- Sammy Hagar

"My idols were always people like Genghis Khan, Muhammad Ali, Alexander the Great, or the guy who invented McDonald's hamburgers" --David Lee Roth

visit the Sammy Hagar News Desk www.http://shnewsdesk.com

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strungout:
    they scrapped Sam's lyrics, and he and Ted T. wrote ALL the lyrics and melody
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ted T? Do you mean Bruce Fairburn? Were they working with Ted Templeman in 1996?

MichelleWms
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Originally posted by strungout:
    they scrapped Sam's lyrics, and he and Ted T. wrote ALL the lyrics and melody
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ted T? Do you mean Bruce Fairburn? Were they working with Ted Templeman in 1996?

He must've meant Fairbairn. As far as the original lyrics go, the VHE says:

Sammy's first lyrical attempt for "Humans Being" was entitled "The Hot Zone." Director Jan de Bont, however, specifically requested no tornado content in the lyrics, so Hagar went back to work and came up with a new set of lyrics built around the title that Ed came up with, "Humans Being."

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah yeah...sorry. I meant Bruce. But anyways...i could have sworn that in the 'Guitar World...' book, Ed is QUOTED as saying that he and the producer wrote the lyrics after sammy wrote about "tornadoes and shit", which they did NOT want. Anybody else have this book?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> That's strange how Sam and Ed's stories are different (or maybe NOT so strange)

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same thing for Dave and Ed's stories. There's somethin' definitely rotten in Denmark, or 5150.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985