Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Have you ever noticed that the volume swells at the start of Cathedral are very similar to the intro of Nobody's Fault by Aerosmith? It's on the Rocks album that came out in 1976, right when VH was playing the clubs, and in fact VH played Last Child from that album in the club era.

I wonder if Eddie might have unknowingly put the Nobody's Fault intro into his memory banks and drew on it for Cathedral.

Although Eddie and Joe Perry didn't have a very good relationship when VH took over the rock world, so it's doubtful that Eddie would ever give Aerosmith any credit even if it were true.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mean the "same" chords to the intro? I dunno cause I haven't heard that particular tune by areosmith. It's cool your ear can pick up things(from your memory bank) to tell that it sounds like someone else.

For example a new tune out there called "I'm a loser" has the exact same chords and intro as Alice n' Chains song called "Got me wrong".

And BTW Jerry Cantrell? Have you really listened to this guy? Man his style of playing is a total tribute to EVH himself. Well that's what I hear in some of his songs.

Maybe Chains should open for VH this year? That would be pimpin'!

Late

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, since this thread got so much attention the first time around, let me give another possibility.

Could the volume swells at the start of Cathedral been stumbled upon when Eddie was playing the "you know a gun is real easy" part of Mean Street?

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Could the volume swells at the start of Cathedral been stumbled upon when Eddie was playing the "you know a gun is real easy" part of Mean Street?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well maybe? The earliest "swells" I have heard were the one's in the beginning of "Your'e No Good". I could be wrong though, VHI I really can't hear that album right now so it's hard to remember if any swells were off there? lol ...

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Good call on the volume swells on You're No Good, I'd forgotten about that. He also does them on Romeo Delight.

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

guitarsolos
    The same chords played in a different rhythm happen all the time. Dancin to Unchained to Panama. On Fire to Poundcake. BUT: Eddie is such a musical genius to converse these wonderful guitar chords into totally different ear orgasmic sounds that the most clever listener can't even tell that there is a similar note that sounds the same! whewwwwww!! was that a run-on sentence or what? Lets just all listen to VH and have a great day!!!

------------------
    Whoooaaa TRIGGER!!!
    -------------------------
    I am just a punk kid who plays guitar.
    What is understood ..should not be discussed!!
    "In Dave We Trust"

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bump!!!

Okay today on my way home from picking up my daughter I heard volume swells right before the solo. Now it sounded like he used the swells to build or bridge two peices of solos together. I love it when he does that. Lol ...

Kick-ass post too btw BREW CREW.

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd just like to add that if you don't have the Aerosmith CD Rocks, go steal it immediately.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Well, since this thread got so much attention the first time around, let me give another possibility.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. Eddie had 90% of Cathedral put together during Fair Warning, remember he'd play it as part of his F.W. tour solo. But as far as I know, Eddie was experimenting with Cathedral during the Women And Children First tour. Though that was also the first time we got to hear the Mean Street intro as well. Who knows!!!!!

On Fire
    Last Online

06.24.06 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He also does some volume swells during SGMAD, which would be before No Good, I would think. I always thought the idea to Cathederal was amazing. I practised that one quite a bit as a youngster, but it burnt out the volume pot too easily. Had to quit that!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DeanO:
    He also does some volume swells during SGMAD, which would be before No Good, I would think. I always thought the idea to Cathederal was amazing. I practised that one quite a bit as a youngster, but it burnt out the volume pot too easily. Had to quit that!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of several people burning out their volume pots. I myself use volume swells all the time and play Cathedral quite a bit and have never had this problem. I wonder how often Eddie burns his out??

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LMAO, dude Deano. You know in my last post about picking my daughter and listening to this one songs solo and the swells that were used in it, well that was SGMAD. I'm suprised nobody else caught that? I didn't even put a song name down in that post? Lol ...

Good point about the knobs burning out DeanO and good question bcgvh(man you need a new nickname dawg that one is to hard to remember) lol how bout B? And to think that maybe that was the cause of my pot going out and never new the real reason why. Kick-ass opinions guys!!!

[This message has been edited by Eyes of the Night (edited March 18, 2001 at 07:51 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eyes of the Night:
    Good point about the knobs burning out DeanO and good question bcgvh(man you need a new nickname dawg that one is to hard to remember) lol how bout B? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On Fire
    Last Online

06.24.06 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can go about 5-10 min, and the pot will start to seize on ya. Thats the early warning signs to quit! I would guess Edward went through a few as well. I picked up a Wolfie a few years back and swore off trying it on that guitar. Normal swells like Romeo Delight or whatever won't harm it, just that constant rocking on and off. Damn, I want to go try it now!!