Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.25.13 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today's trivia question on VH's website is "At one time, this color M&Ms were banned from backstage:".

I remember the reasoning behind banning the brown colored candies was to see if venues actually read their contracts or not. They added the paragraph regarding the brown M&M's somewhere in the middle of this lengthy section regarding the stage specifications, pounds etc. If there were brown M&M's, that meant they didn't read the contract, and that could pose a problem, even a dangerous problem.

In any event, "At one Time.." is curious to me. Was this only added to the contracts during the Dave era and not Sammy or Gary? Anyone know?

[This message has been edited by LTLDREAMER (edited September 28, 2000 at 02:14 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I really have no idea, but I'd assume it was only in effect during the Dave era.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My understanding was that Dave came up with that idea, so I'd say it was during the "classic-VH" era only.

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"I'm not scared of you punk - I got chunks of guys like you in my stools!" - "Sinatra" to "Billy Idol" on SNL

Red-Balled Mammoth
    In the middle of their contract they had the thing about removing all brown M&M's in there to make sure the venue staff read it and one time the M&M's weren't removed, so that showed the band that the staff didn't read it.

That was the purpose.

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    It's most definitely a good move by Dave and the boys. Makes good sense. I seem to recall in Colorado that the promoters/venue guys didn't read it too well, and their stage(Van Halen's) busted the floor. The venue couldn't support the weight of the stage etc. I could be wrong about it being Colorado, but I think that's right. Out

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The M&M rider started on the 1980 world tour. There's some question about whether the incident t5 is talking about happened in Pueblo Colorado or Albuquerque New Mexico.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Cool Glenn. Well I knew Colorado was mentioned in some of the interviews. I knew you would know what I was talking about. Out.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was on the 1980 Invasion Tour that they started with the "no brown M&M's" in their rider.

In Colorado, the rider wasn't fulfilled (the brown M&M's were not removed) and the band and crew trashed one bathroom, one dining room and one dressing room. In the end, there was $10,000.00 worth of damamge.

Thats a lotta bread, even for VH back in those days! Time Magazine even ran a peice on it. I still have the clipping.

------------------
    "Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes."

"There's a little bit of Van Halen in everyone." - Ancient Chinese Scripture

Grateful Van Priest

Favorite VH Album

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Favorite VH Song

Not choosin & U can't make me
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CouldThisBeMagic:
    It was on the 1980 Invasion Tour that they started with the "no brown M&M's" in their rider.

In Colorado, the rider wasn't fulfilled (the brown M&M's were not removed) and the band and crew trashed one bathroom, one dining room and one dressing room. In the end, there was $10,000.00 worth of damamge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This same sort of thing was supposed to have happened in Pocatello Idaho on the 5150 tour, The Venue has Never had Van Halen Back.

They even banned all concerts for 5 years. Now they only allow Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, & some Country music.

I used to have this clipping I'll check to see if I can find it.

This would show proof that it is more than the DLR era that has had this clause.

------------------
    Free VH ScreenSavers at
    www.RasSoft.com

[This message has been edited by Dr.5150 (edited September 29, 2000 at 06:14 AM).]