Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I heard (maybe it was here or the PD) a while ago that Eddie once said that Bon Scott was the best singer ever? Just wondering if anyone else has heard this and if there is an interview that he did where he said it.

------------------
    "It ain't gonna change overnight, no. And it ain't goin' away without a fight. Yeah! Livin' with the aftershock."

"When I need something to soothe my soul, I listen to too much rock 'n' roll."

Dan Halen - My site

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

No idea on that one DH. All I've got on Eddie talking about AC/DC is from the January 1997 Guitar World.

Guitar World: "Panama"?

EVH: It was kind of AC/DC inspired. We had just done a tour with them the year before. It was us, Motley Crue and AC/DC in '83, in Europe, and just the power of those guys blew my mind-the constant "boom boom boom". They play the same song over and over, but it's a great song. AC/DC was probably one of the most powerful live bands I've ever seen in my life. The energy...they were unstoppable. I'll never forget our first big tour. It was a theater sized tour-3000 seaters. We headlined a bill featuring Ronnie Montrose and Journey. We were supposed to do 60 shows, but we left early because we had an offer to do "A Day on the Green" (a Bill Graham concert production held in Oakland, California). I think Aerosmith and Foreigner were co-headlining. We had our own trailer, and next door to us were AC/DC, who were also playing that day. Anyway, they went on before us, and I was standing on the side of the stage thinking, "We have to follow these motherfuckers?" They were so fuckin' powerful, but I remember feeling that we held our own. I was really happy. It blew my mind. I didn't think anybody could follow them.

I realize this has nothing to do with Bon Scott, but bear with me.

Eddie's memories seem a bit hazy; for starters, the only shows VH played in 1983 were in South America and the US Festival, so this tour he speaks of in 1983 doesn't make sense. They played in Europe with AC/DC and Motley at the end of the 1984 tour, which means that particular tour couldn't have inspired Panama.

------------------
    More perks than Elvis' night stand!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING, OU812
    Last Online

11.14.13 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have it with me right now, but I believe that in the October 1999 issue of Guitar World (the one with Page, Beck, and Ed on the cover) Ed talks about different songs he likes. AC'DC's "Down Pavement Blues" is one of them. I'm pretty sure he says that Bon had the "best rock-n-roll voice ever."

------------------
    VAN HALEN NETWORK

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the info, Scott.

------------------
    "It ain't gonna change overnight, no. And it ain't goin' away without a fight. Yeah! Livin' with the aftershock."

"When I need something to soothe my soul, I listen to too much rock 'n' roll."

Dan Halen - My site

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING, OU812
    Last Online

11.14.13 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is taken from and article called "The Hour Of Music That Rocks My World: 60 Minutes with Eddie Van Halen."

"DOWN PAYMENT BLUES"
    AC/DC

"Bon Scott is my favorite rock and roll singer of all time. This is just one of those head-bangin' two-chord, four-on-the-floor, mind-boggling masterpieces they'd come up with. It sounds like one of Malcolm Young's primal riffs. And Angus, man, the solo he blows on this is so intense. He is so underrated. He does some wicked shit in the blues realm. On our first big gig, AC/DC played just before us at Oakland Stadium. I think Foreigner and Aerosmaith were co-headlining. I was sitting in my trailer and heard this rubble-pounding noise from the stage. I went up there and saw 80,000 people bopping up and down at the same time. Angus did his incredible wind-me-up-and-let-me-go dance and Bon never moved, except for his hand swinging, and he sounded exactly like the record. And we had to follow these motherfuckers! Thank God, we held our own."

------------------
    VAN HALEN NETWORK

[This message has been edited by scott5150 (edited March 05, 2001 at 08:44 AM).]