Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Since this is one of the most circulated and best sounding early VH bootlegs, I was wondering how and why this one was recorded. The setlist is pretty close to what it would be on the first tour-was the album already done at this point? And why was this show recorded? (Methinks to give someone a read on how the band would perform on the tour, you know for some record company type) Glenn???

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's a good question.

Did the band record this show or did someone else? I don't know.

If the band recorded it, it could have been for the purposes of trying to get a feel for what set list they were going to use on the first tour. When Bob Dylan toured with The Band as his backup group, they recorded each show early on in the tour so they could listen to them and get a feel for what was working and what wasn't.

I'm not sure what reason the record company would have for wanting to hear how the band sounded live, except maybe to help get them (the band) lined up with a suitable headline act on tour, one that had a similar sound and potential fanbase.

I'm not sure when VH 1 was recorded, but that's an interesting point. The VHE says that it took 3 weeks to record, and it was released on February 10, 1978. I had always assumed just from turn around time for album pressing etc that the album was recorded in 1977, but I don't know that as a fact. It's curious that in that December 20th show they played Somebody Get Me a Doctor and D.O.A. If the album hadn't been completed at that point, perhaps those songs had been recorded (or at least considered) for VH 1. Of course, they continued to play both of those songs, as well as Bottoms Up, on the first tour, so obviously they were confident that even if they didn't make the first album, they would be appearing on a future album.

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Glenn-
    Check out this link to an article that I just happened to come across today:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/ds/home/articles/0?doc=guitarcom,gc050901.html&src =60203

Here's a brief snippet with Ed talking about the recording of the first album:

"Oh, for the first record we went into the studio one day with Ted, and we all just played live and laid down like 40 songs. And out of those 40 we picked nine and wrote one in the studio for the record.(Jamie's Cryin') So we got plenty of songs. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna get together with Ted on Wednesday and figure out which songs off that tape that we're gonna do for the next one. But we've been writing, and we've got so many more songs since that tape, and we've got like 30 songs left just on that tape. I think we're gonna use just that tape for the next album, because Ted seems pretty sure that he's got some hit action or whatever just out of those songs. A little polish here and there, but the basic ideas are there."

I remember a discussion awhile back about 40 songs vs. the 25 songs on "That's All Folks"

And one more twist...I'm thinking the album could have been recorded in November sometime..."Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" was slightly different on the Magic Mountain show just two months before the Pasadena show in October than what became the final version. A change dictated by TT maybe???

[ May 11, 2001 at 06:43 PM: Message edited by: kpl ]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kpl:
    And one more twist...I'm thinking the album could have been recorded in November sometime..."Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" was slightly different on the Magic Mountain show just two months before the Pasadena show in October than what became the final version. A change dictated by TT maybe???
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's an interesting theory, and may very well be correct, but just because the song changed somewhat from October to December 20 doesn't prove that the album was recorded within that time frame. It's possible that the song evolved between that time just from working on the demo's and such.

Has it ever been definitively stated when in 1977 the WB demo was recorded? Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love isn't on the WB demo, which would lead me to believe that it was presented as a possibility for the album quite late in the process.

And your point about Ted Templeman is a good one. When you read stories about bands, it's incredible how talented a lot of these top producers are at taking a song, and altering it in places to accentuate the strengths of the tune. Certainly with a young band like VH, and a proven producer like Ted, Ted's input was probably very strong. It would be great to have someone do a really in depth interview with Ted about his work with VH in those early years.

Great interview link by the way, thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I'm not sure when VH 1 was recorded, but that's an interesting point. The VHE says that it took 3 weeks to record, and it was released on February 10, 1978. I had always assumed just from turn around time for album pressing etc that the album was recorded in 1977, but I don't know that as a fact.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

During that show right before 'Atomic Punk', Dave says "Friends, I've been waiting a long time to say this......Here's one off our first album etc."

My guess is they just finished or were finishing up the album right around that time.

THE KING!
    M*U*L*E

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rod Dangle:
    During that show right before 'Atomic Punk', Dave says "Friends, I've been waiting a long time to say this......Here's one off our first album etc."

My guess is they just finished or were finishing up the album right around that time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a good call Rod, I'd forgotten about that. That certainly would lead you to believe that the album was nearing completion (or already completed) at the time of that late December show.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I always crack up when Dave jives,"We're gonna tear the roof off this sucka right nah!" [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd assume late late '77. Didn't the boys have to rush the album out because Eddie let some people hear "You Really Got Me" and another band rushed into the studio to record a similar-sounding version? I think that was in one of the Guitar World interviews.
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah, the band was called Angel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Originally posted by Rod Dangle:
    [qb]During that show right before 'Atomic Punk', Dave says "Friends, I've been waiting a long time to say this......Here's one off our first album etc."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a good call Rod, I'd forgotten about that. That certainly would lead you to believe that the album was nearing completion (or already completed) at the time of that late December show.
    [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    That is such a kick ass show. That was my first VH boot, on L.P even. Still have it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ May 16, 2001 at 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Rod Dangle ]
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blind Willie Loons:
    I always crack up when Dave jives,"We're gonna tear the roof off this sucka right nah!" [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO....That is probably the funniest line on there....Classic!

M*U*L*E

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The thing is this live show sounds exactly like the first album except even more sicker..
    Maybe they should have saved their money on studio time and just released the tape as their first album [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]