On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When preople talk about Roth's guitarists, we hear EVH (obviously) Vai and Becker, sometimes Lowery. NEVER Terry Kilgore!!!!

He didn't really get a chance to shine on YFLM (Nile Rodger's production, Dave wanting to get away from the guitar-hero type album?), but I thought his songs on DLR Band were the real highpoints of that album.

Big Train, Everybody's Got the Monkey, Experience, No Big T'ing, YFLM, SunBurn, Mississippi Pwer, Lose the Dress, Goin' Places, Weekend with The Babysitter, and the awesome,awesome, AWESOME BLACK SAND!!!!!

So whatch think? - can't think, I'm dancin' awww de dee, de daw - you think Irv's is still open?
    "So who died and made YOU David Lee Roth???"

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think Terry Kilgore was the worst thing to happen to David Lee Roth. That doesn't mean I dislike Kilgore. I enjoy everything he did with Dave, but it wasn't the right fit.

I think Dave was tired and worn out after ALAE. He'd teamed with his 3rd great guitarist, and split with him just like the previous ones. He'd been screwed on tour by having to go with everybody's favorite tour whore, Joe Holmes. Rock and roll the way Dave branded it was dead in the water. He knew he didn't want to make another straight ahead rock album, and WB was dropping him to a subsidiary label.

So he took the path of least resistence. Kilgore was an old friend. Competent, but nothing like the guitar gods he'd worked with before. A good fit for what he allowed YFLM to be.

By picking Terry, I think Dave was waving the white flag. It's really where he started to rest on his prior accomplishments, and stopped putting his all into his projects. ALAE was Dave's very best effort, with the very best new guitarist he could team with. Between it's relative commercial failure and Becker's inability to continue, I think it broke Dave's spirit. He's just been going through the motions ever since.

I think he chose Terry because it eased the challenge. Terry's limits became Dave's limits, and Dave gratefully accepted those limits.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've only had YFLM for a couple of years. By the time I caught up with it, it was out of print so I had to buy it off ebay. Personally I think that album is very well produced, and I think it could have been a solid album. Where it falls apart is in the middle. Some interesting lyrics (as usual), but A Little Luck is garbage, Cheatin' Heart Cafe is garbage, Hey You Never Know is garbage and No Bing Ting is garbage. Four really bad songs in a row isn't good for business, and three of those four songs are Roth/Kilgore penned tunes.

And there was no need to have a second version of You're Breathin' It. A good song, but sometimes once is enough.

Really, I don't have any problem with the guitar playing on the album. I think Terry does a good job, and after Skyscraper I think Dave was done with the guitar hero thing anyway. A Little Ain't Enough is a big move away from the guitar aerobics thing, and it's Dave's best album without question.

I think in many ways, though there's some weak stuff on it, I think YFLM is a better album than DLR Band. The DLR Band album has some cool tunes, but I've become very disillusioned with Dave for treading back into the old turf so heavily. And that's what I equate the DLR Band album with, a step backwards.

Mike raises some interesting points about Dave taking the path of least resistance with Kilgore. Frankly I'd never even thought of it in those terms before. I'm slower to throw any blame at Kilgore's feet, strictly because nothing Dave did solo in 1994 was going to sell.

Some times a straight line, sometimes you wander on this post.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'm not blaming Kilgore. He was ideal for Dave's 'I give up!' approach at the time. Dave knew what he was getting.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Terry can play but I don't like his style. Steve Vai and Jason Becker were a much better fit with DLR than him IMHO.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF THIM
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYTHING SEP HOW MENY SAY I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Like Terry,He was cool [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "I Want The Best! Of Both Worlds!<br />AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW-Van Halen Live With Out A Net.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DLR Band is the last NEW Rock album I've bought.

I was definitely impressed that Dave didn't sell out, and there was some cool guitar work on it. It's just timing man. Kilgore's work with Roth didn't come out at a time when guitar playing was held in high regard, much the same as it is now.

I dug Kilgore's playing, but I don't think I would put him as one of my all time faves.

The only guitarist for Dave is Eddie.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't buy MikeyL's line of jive at all. If you listen to Dave's interviews 'round YFLM, he sounds a lil' washed out from all those years of sex drugs and rocknroll, but I don't think he was waving any kind of white flag. I get the impression he thought he had re-invented rocknroll and loved workin' with Nile and cookin' up all of his hybrids az he called them. Keepin' his fingers in a lot of pies...canyadiggit?????? He was livin' in New York an' while YFLM has some of that good ol' Diamond Dave bluesy rock, it also has sum groove, rap, reggae, country, Carribean, and rnb UP IN THERE. "Night Life" sho iz a great, great blues cut!!!!!! I dig YFLM cuz it's seems so autobiographical. Terry Kilgore is a helluva starvation box player. I remember seein' Dave at a club in ol' St.Louie in '94...he waz late, of course...the crowd was gettin' pissy cuz we were packed in down in front...the band filters out an' then Dave struts across the stage like the legend he iz...Terry starts throwin' down some You Really Got Me riffage an' the magic of the greates' Vaudevillian since Jolson starts a cookin', cookin' with gazz...ALL HELL YEAH...an' the YFLM cuts sounded heavier, bluesier, grittier, and cooler LIVE SHO NUFF...TK was a mean motor scooter and a bad go gettah...

Terry Kilgore did some stellar work on DLR Band indeed!! He's got that ol' Mississippi Powah yez yez yez!!!!!!

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Apparently that's too complicated for ya, huh? You seem to be very willing to buy Dave's marketing of things, rather than look at the realities of his situation and actions.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

EXCELLENT post MikeL. The publics reaction to ALAE and the tour was very lukewarm (in America at least, he did great business in Europe). I think that album, which had everything going for it, Bob Rock producing, W.B. backing it, the AMAZING Jason Becker, was THE VERY BEST Dave could do - and it blew up in his face. The change in the music scene in the early '90's didn't help either, but had Becker stayed healthy, and toured w/Dave, I think they could've survived the grunge invasion.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Master Joe:
    EXCELLENT post MikeL. The publics reaction to ALAE and the tour was very lukewarm (in America at least, he did great business in Europe). I think that album, which had everything going for it, Bob Rock producing, W.B. backing it, the AMAZING Jason Becker, was THE VERY BEST Dave could do - and it blew up in his face. The change in the music scene in the early '90's didn't help either, but had Becker stayed healthy, and toured w/Dave, I think they could've survived the grunge invasion.<hr></blockquote>

yes, in 1991, it was the Alternative and "Grunge"(I hate that term)invasion in America, ALL of the prior 80's ROCK bands were getting put aside, and becoming less of a priority, 1991 was the year of the first Lollapolooza, Nirvana, NIN, Jane's Addiction, the BLACK album by Metallica, new Soundgarden(Badmotorfinger), The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains were still getting pushed for the first album, etc etc....Dave got NO push in the US at all.................ALSO Record companies decide how much money and PUSH an artist is going to get....Dave did not get that much push on ALAE, I saw the video for ALAE once, and I never heard it on the radio.......I think WB let Dave die in 1991...

Record companies make and break bands to quite a degree...

maybe if Becker NEVER got sick and was able to stay with DLR Dave's sales and US tour would have done better......but DLR was no longer a priority act anymore...that's reality...and by the time YFLM came around......fuhhhhgetaboutitttt..

[ January 13, 2002 at 02:59 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]</p>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have no interest at all in those seattle bands - when they became popular, at least they killed off the poisons and warrants. But it broke my heart to see Dave's career go down the toilet too - and it wasn't as if his music sucked - ALAE was BRILLIANT.

What really got to me was the likes of bon jovi and aerosmith, AND van hagar, never suffered, and everyone was praising these 'old-school' bands for surviving the grunge explosion, whilst DLR went from cultural icon to poster-boy for the washed-up Rock Star.

I don't know - maybe he was too much of a good thing in the 80's? - people saw him as THE Rock Star of the 1980's, who had nothing to offer to the 90's kids.

It's a very sad story, Daves decline in the 90's - I was there tru it all. Vegas in '95 was the worst.

Mini comeback in '98 though, number one song on radio, everyone's excited - what happens - John Lowery quits and the '98 DLR Band tour is cancelled. Those songs were begging to be played live. I don't think that tour would've been 90% Halen tunes.

Seeing Dave play practically a full VH set with a former VH tribute guitarist makes me sad too!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Terry Kilgore does great on the bluesy material, but on songs like "She's My Machine" I would have much rather had Vai or Becker, or even Lowery in there. As for Nile Rodgers, great producer for the type of album YFLM was,with all it's R&B, funk, hip-hop, and reggae overtones, though I'm amazed that a country duet with Travis Tritt ever came out of those sessions. Nile isn't known for producing country.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FORD:
    I think Terry Kilgore does great on the bluesy material, but on songs like "She's My Machine" I would have much rather had Vai or Becker, or even Lowery in there. As for Nile Rodgers, great producer for the type of album YFLM was,with all it's R&B, funk, hip-hop, and reggae overtones, though I'm amazed that a country duet with Travis Tritt ever came out of those sessions. Nile isn't known for producing country.<hr></blockquote>

Niles Rodgers can kiss Travis' ass for all I care. His debut album was one of the last good real country albums.

It has more to do with the man, than the fuckin producer.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

Niles Rodgers can kiss Travis' ass for all I care. His debut album was one of the last good real country albums.

It has more to do with the man, than the fuckin producer.
    <hr></blockquote>

Geez man, what's your prob?? chill out...