Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thing i notice people say about sammy is that he gave vh a number one album. i honestly think if roth stuck around, and made an album with vh in 86 it would have debuted at number one. it could have been crap, and it still would have debuted at number one cuz it was the follow up to 1984. sammy had that advantage in that he followed a mega album, and people were wanting more. now, i am not trying to take away from sammy. i prefer roth, but give hagar a ton of credit for keeping the band afloat. not many could have stepped into roth shoes and pulled what sammy did. and also not to take away from 5150. it helped that it was a good album, although i dont particularly care for it

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry, first sentence should read "sammy gave vh a few number one albums"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

See but Roth left it was his fault. HE quit.

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A number 1 album don't mean much in my opinion and here is why. Before soundscan critics favorites ruled the charts. Artist would stay number one for many weeks. With soundscan no one seems to come close to being at number 1 for as long compared to before soundscan. With soundscan it depends on who releases an album at the same time and who releases an album in the following weeks of the release. There are some albums that don't make it to number 1 but sell 2x as many copies (during it's initial run) as an album that went to number 1. I remember VH saying in 1991 that they wanted to release F.U.C.K. before a certain group released their 2 albums(G-n-R). Just my thoughts.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Technically... Roth quit, but if you believe the writing wasn't on the wall and his hand forced by Ed's lack of wanting to work with him any more, then you need to open your mind up.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen Mikey. I'm sick of these people saying Roth quit. It's all his fault! It's like if you have a girlfriend or boyfriend and they treat you like shit and then you break up with them because you get sick of the bullshit!

------------------
    "...you make conversation, but she's listening to your cash!"
    Eat Us and Smile!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chad:

Absolutely on the mark comments. In addition, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe '1984' had stiffer competition, wasn't 'Thriller' still holding strong at that point? In the new soundscan setup, initial sales are a huge factor, and this wasn't the case in late 1983/early 1984.

------------------
    First six albums rule - Later, VHDOF

eddymon
    Van Halen rulz!!
    I had to just say that.
    But all 3 singers were good for the band, it made them experience things that work and don't work, and will make them better in the future.

------------------
    ITS DAVE OR IT WILL BE THE GRAVE FOR VAN HALEN AS A BAND.
    Sometimes the prettiest girls at the bar, are the ones that are still there after you get drunk!

whether its Dave, Sammy or Gary its still Van Halen because its really Eddie, Alex and Mike

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ah, come on! Roth quit and he quit for one reason only! He thought he was the sell in Van Halen. In fact . . he thought he was Van Halen! Quotes like, "When people hear Eddie Van Halen, they think of a person.""When they hear David Lee Roth, they think of Van Halen." This is ego my friends. I think any of you who think Dave quit for any other reason besides thinking he was a one man show should open up their minds.

Think about it. You are in a band for over eight years and you commercially break to sell ten million albums, a sold out tour, and a number one single. You are on the cover of every teen rock magazine. You love to make dramatic videos. You walk and leave next year because someone is tired or lazy to write? Either Dave had a very big ego or he was just terrible at making decisions. He went downhill pretty quick after. Now we have finally reached the point where Van Halen has sunk to Dave's level and they need each other. Hence . . .what we are waiting for now!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree Georgie. Except VH still isnt as low as Roth is now.

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just hoping things work out now. I wouldn't mind seeing Sammy back. Dave would rock the world! Either or I miss music if you haven't noticed. Most SUCKS now a days. I just wish VH could start another revolution. Remember they still haven't written their "Dark Side of the Moon"/"Stairway to Heaven" type song. I'm just hoping that I hear somthing great when it comes out. All these rumors say September-December. But they're probably all wrong as usual. And yes I hate it. But it's for the best. Dave left VH in 85 and he missunderstood the reunion thing. I wish it was explained a little better to him when he came back that he was on a better behavier. They we wouldn't have had to go through that blaster Gary era...

PLEASE MAKE MUSIC

jim
    p.s. wouldn't mind seeing an instrumental album

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess Georgie is a mind reader now. You know the one and only reason that Dave left! You're a fucking idiot!!!!!

You don't know. I don't know. Only Dave and God knows!!

Dave's carrer went downhill quickly after VH huh? Well I seem to recall two multi-platinum albums after he left. Carying him through the end of the '80's (5 years)

Yeah Vh had more success. No argument there, but one reason why?... Dave left Sammy a finely tuned, Mercedes, running, and full of gas to take off in in '85! And Sam slowly ran it into the ground! Now Dave is back to get that fine piece of machinery in top working order again!!

Do us all a favor Georgie...you can have your opinions about Dave, Ed or whoever. That's fine. I really don't care that you don't like Dave or blame him or whatever. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But don't post shit like "The only reason Dave left..." You don't know what he, Ed, Al, or Mike was or is thinking!! All you have is your opinion...even if it is wrong!

------------------
    "...you make conversation, but she's listening to your cash!"
    Eat Us and Smile!!!

[This message has been edited by blueeyedmurder (edited July 12, 2000 at 07:49 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blueeyedmurder:
    And Sam slowly ran it into the ground!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Four #1 albums is running it into the ground? WTF? Check your dates, what "ran it into the ground" was dropping Sammy in favor of someone else.

Tsk tsk, let's not forget people how insanely popular VH with Sammy was just because we're all hot for Dave to be back.

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't blame Dave for leaving VH in 1985. He was huge, and why stay with guys you don't particularly like if you're a big star?

Unfortunately, he couldn't find a band that matched VH. But you can't blame him for trying.

I don't think Eddie forced him out in 1985. If I remember correctly, Dave said Eddie even cried when they said their good-byes.

I think Eddie was shocked Dave would leave after the success of 1984. He told the press he was pissed.

But then when he found Sammy, it was like finding a new love - and Eddie didn't care about Dave anymore.

I don't think Van Hagar matched the original. I see very few of those songs that will go down as a "classic" over time. As a matter of fact, it seems like I hear Sammy's solo stuff on the radio as much as Van Hagar now.

But I've never felt ill toward Sammy - or Gary. They're part of Van Halen, and I like their contributions - just not as much.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lets not forget that JUMP is still the bands only #1 single. And MCMLXXXIV would have been #1 had it not been for an incredible explosion of popular albums in 1984. First they at #2 for weeks behind THRILLER - also LIKE A VIRGIN, TINA TURNER, PURPLE RAIN, BORN IN THE USA - were all huge albums. It was a huge year in music.