Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To proponents of a Van Halen/David Lee Roth reunion, I say... maybe, just maybe this might not be a good thing. I count myself among most who were calling for a reunion but now I'm not so sure. I've always said the differences (personality & otherwise) between Dave & Ed fueled all the great music in the early days, but it's slowly dawning on me that that is no longer enough. Being the consumate entertainer that he is, I think Dave is willing to forsake any personality clashes with Ed and the band to make another go at it but my gut feeling is that Ed doesn't feel the same. My point being, if Ed's heart isn't really into a reunion with Dave, his heart mightn't be into the kind of music that many of us would like to hear. Suppose they did reconvene? Suppose they did release a new record? And suppose that we didn't like it? I think that would leave an even bigger sour taste in our mouth than Van Halen 3 did for many fans. What then?

Just thought I'd throw this question out there.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me it wouldn't matter if I for some reason didn't like the new album put out by the original line-up. At least they gave me what I wanted.

There are so many things that could go wrong with the reunion it's not even funny. I believe Dave basically ran the show back when he was in the band. Eddie runs it now. Right there is a recipe for disaster.

It doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon anyway so we might as well forget it.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

For about the last year I've thought that a reunion may not be a good idea. The jealousy and bitterness that fueled so much great music in the early days would just poison them right now in my opinion. Back then, they HAD to be together, they were going somewhere none of them had ever been, and to cut ties would have been unthinkable. Now, it's not the same. They've all been to the mountain top, they don't NEED to get there again.

I really think steps one and two of the reunion are getting a strong manager, and getting a strong producer. Left unattended, the Van Halen ship will be running aground in seconds; someone has to be there to keep things from getting personal, and that's a tall order.

I don't want an album and a tour just for the sake of it. I want to know that there's a level of respect between the members and a knowledge that together, they are the best. Perhaps that's naive, but I don't want to pay $100 for concert tickets just to find out they all have contracts prohibiting certain stage dialogue, or where they can or can't roam on the stage.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Back then, they HAD to be together, they were going somewhere none of them had ever been, and to cut ties would have been unthinkable. Now, it's not the same. They've all been to the mountain top, they don't NEED to get there again.

Glenn, I wanted to say this in my post but my brain wasn't working as fast as my hands.

20-25 years ago, they needed one another because they were just another band on the scene. Now that they've proven themselves, what's the incentive, REALLY? This attitude may or may not be right but I think it is human nature. Think about it? How many of us put up with all kinds of crap at the workplace but we stuck to it because personal circumstances at that time, dictated that we had to.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I look at it like this:

Sometime in 1984 it was announced that Joe Perry and Brad Whitford were rejoining Aerosmith and that they were going on tour, after having been seperated for some five years or whatever. It was a day we thought we'd never see. My brother & I bought tickets to the show at the Centrum, and then I proceded to hold my breath that they would actually make it there, especially after reading stories about some incidents early in the tour. But they managed to keep it together and finally the night arrived. All during the show I sat there, wondering why Steven hadn't gone with a wireless microphone, and hoping the hell he stayed away from Joe lest he trip over his microphone cord and stumble into the guitarist, starting a fistfight right there on stage. Amazingly they made it through that night, that tour and they're still around now 18 years later.
    Could Van Halen have the same success - no - they are too old and no matter what they do, they aren't going to be doing it 18 years from now. But still, if Joe Perry & Steven Tyler, who really supposedly hated each other could work things out as well as they have, why the hell can't Edward and Dave?

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm tired of people making excuses for Eddie being a fucking bitter old whiny ass. Maybe he's honestly forgotten it all because he was drunk, but you don't have to be happy to make fucking music. Eddie himself has proved that the worse his mood is, the better the musical output. I definitely do NOT agree with those who think he should start drinking again, but he DOES need to get pissed off once in a while. And I'll volunteer to piss him off, but I have no intentions of being the singer. That job belongs to only one man, David Lee Roth !! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FORD:
    I'm tired of people making excuses for Eddie being a fucking bitter old whiny ass.
    I am equally tired of people calling Eddie a fucking bitter old whiny ass. Get a life big guy.

[ February 12, 2002 at 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Guitar Shark ]</p>

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dropdeadlegs:
    Suppose they did release a new record? And suppose that we didn't like it?
    I'd risk it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

They're never going to be as succesful as they once were. That time is in the past. Right now, they can satisfy themselves, or they can satisfy their fans. Their choice has become glaringly obvious, hasn't it?

They're fading away, leaving half of their fans thinking of them as the band that couldn't, and the rest thinking of them as the band that shouldn't. No matter what, nobody is going to have any happy feelings towards EVH and DLR beyond the music they've left.

They control that. If DLR called up EVH today, they could be in the studio working tomorrow. They could toss some rough cuts onto the internet later that afternoon, and leave the fan base sizzling. They aren't into that kind of thing, though.

Honestly, if the reunion doesn't happen it'll all be Dave's fault. It wasn't in '96, but this time it will be. It's as simple as that.

Yes, I'd like to see them do something together.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Honestly, if the reunion doesn't happen it'll all be Dave's fault. It wasn't in '96, but this time it will be. It's as simple as that.
    What do you base this allegation on? I have no idea who's fault it is. My best guess is it's Eddie not wanting to work with Dave.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If you read between the lines in Dave's last radio interview, it becomes pretty clear. To my mind, at least. Dave says he feels that a reunion is inevitable, and won't happen until a bit down the road. When I hear someone say something like that my ears perk up. I think Dave is making demands that the band can't/won't meet. Hence, the hold up is because of Dave.

There's several bits of evidence that support this. In his golf magazine interview, Ed contends that lawyers are the holdup. Lawyers do what their clients pay them to do. Ed also says Dave has his number. In other words, it sounds like Ed's willing to work.

Remember the rumors of Dave wanting 50%? I tend to believe those are true. Dave's no dumby. He knows what the fans are feeling and saying. He knows most see Ed as the hold up. He also knows that presents him with enormous leverage in negotiations.

I think Dave understands that any reunion isn't likely to last more than one album and a tour (or perhaps part of a tour...). The band flat out needs him right now. Since there's only one big enchilada, Dave wants to get as much of it as he possibly can. In a way it's a waiting game, to see who'll call the bluff first. Everyone in the situation certainly understands that they're in the twilight of their careers, and that they won't be able to perform to their own standards within a few years.

Dave'll decrease his demands as time goes on, because a smaller part of a big enchilada is greater than a big part of no enchilada. Dave said as much of that in his November interview.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bottom line is we don't know what the hold up is because no one is talking. If Dave was holding Eddie hostage like you say he is don't you think he'd be the first one to call MTV to set up another bash Dave session? "Dave wants 50% of everything, blah, blah, blah"??

You may be right, but no one but Dave and Eddie really know what's going on. It's much too early to place any blame. Like I've said before, my guess is Eddie doesn't want to work with Dave. Just a guess though.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by dj88:
    If Dave was holding Eddie hostage like you say he is don't you think he'd be the first one to call MTV to set up another bash Dave session? "Dave wants 50% of everything, blah, blah, blah"??
    That backfired in a huge way in '96. I don't think he'd do that again. If anything, the '96 reaction is the reason for all the silence this time around. It's the completely opposite way of dealing with the situation.

I'm not saying that I have to be right. This is the only way the events make sense to me, though. I love Ed's music, but I hate how he chooses to deal with his fans. I've posted some pretty caustic stuff about the guy, and I still mean every word of it.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Part of me thinks you're right Mike. But given Eddie's track record and the fact that I'm a Dave fan I'm giving Dave the benifit of the doubt.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I used to do the same thing, dj88. I was positive Ed was to blame until that interview with Dave in November. I always gave Dave the benefit of the doubt prior to that.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Glenn's post hit the nail right on the head. Unless all parties involved want to get there shit together and get past all the negative BS the reunion just wouldn't have the same appeal to me. I'd also like to think their would be some mutual respect between the band members and if the whole fuckin thing came unraveled duing a tour it would really leave a bitter taste in the mouth of most Van Halen fans.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"