Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Judging from most reviews and witnessing it first hand, I think it's fair to say that Dave's shows were lacking this summer. It just wasn't the same Dave we all have come to know and love relative to his past tours. Is it age, injury or something else?

I personally think that being rejected by Ed and Al this last time (an assumtion of course) really let the wind out of his sails and hence not much effort on his part.

What does he have to look forward to anymore? I think he should give Vai and Sheehan a call.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Take \'yer pick
    Favorite VH Song

Take \'yer pick
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's at all fair to say that his shows were lacking. I think there are quite a few fans who like Dave, still think it's 1984. And even more so, want it to be 1984 again. Is Dave past his prime? I'd certainly say yes. But so is Sammy, and so is Van Halen. But that doesn't mean they can't put on a fun, entertaining rock show. Is Dave percieved to be goofy? Sure. But I don't think he's anymore goofy now than what he was in 1983/1984. We've gone through over a decade of some pretty harsh cynicism where a popular musician couldn't smile or bounce around on stage without it being carefully choreographed and approved by lawyers, record labels, and managers. I wouldn't say Dave's act is real spontaneous either. But he's doing what he wants to do, and what he thinks fans want him to do. Dave knows he isn't bigger than his fanbase, he just lets everyone thinks he does. Popluar reviewers are often too busy "reviewing" and forgetting to just have a good time at a show. If they didn't care for Dave or Sammy's show this summer, then I'm sure that there are plenty of processed, plastic, pretend "artists" that they can "review" instead.

As far as Dave being rejected by Ed and Al again, who's to say they are the ones doing the rejecting. The Van Halens have gone on so long without doing anything, that I don't believe that they are in a position of power any longer. Each side, I feel, now has an equal share of power and responsiblility to get back together and do something. I don't think that Ed or Al can say "This is how it's gonna be," becuase the only options they have are Dave or Sammy (for me, preferably both). Period.
    "My heroes have always been David Lee Roth, Archie Bunker, and anyone who has ever agreed with me." - Me

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I respectfully disagree with the original post. Most of Dave's reviews were good. And personally he was awesome when I attended his concert. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My point is that given the power of the VH tunes he had to choose from, his superior band, and the mystique that surrounds him along with his past onstage theatrics and banter, he should have blown Sammy off the stage every single night!
    That didn't happen. Why?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Artists are people. They have good shows bad shows, are affected by weather, by sounds, by smells, who knows. The point is both Sam and Dave gave great performances for their fans. Dave couldn't possibly blow Hagar off the stage every night as well as Sammy couldn't do the same to Dave. Dave and Sam are equally professional. If Van Halen played a double-bill tour with Boston or Def Lepard we would probably feel the same way, as the fans of Boston and DL would be asking the same question.

Life is not all black or white.

[ October 01, 2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by cerebralmadness:
    I don't think it's at all fair to say that his shows were lacking. I think there are quite a few fans who like Dave, still think it's 1984. And even more so, want it to be 1984 again. Is Dave past his prime? I'd certainly say yes. But so is Sammy, and so is Van Halen. But that doesn't mean they can't put on a fun, entertaining rock show. Is Dave percieved to be goofy? Sure. But I don't think he's anymore goofy now than what he was in 1983/1984. We've gone through over a decade of some pretty harsh cynicism where a popular musician couldn't smile or bounce around on stage without it being carefully choreographed and approved by lawyers, record labels, and managers. I wouldn't say Dave's act is real spontaneous either. But he's doing what he wants to do, and what he thinks fans want him to do. Dave knows he isn't bigger than his fanbase, he just lets everyone thinks he does. Popluar reviewers are often too busy "reviewing" and forgetting to just have a good time at a show. If they didn't care for Dave or Sammy's show this summer, then I'm sure that there are plenty of processed, plastic, pretend "artists" that they can "review" instead.

As far as Dave being rejected by Ed and Al again, who's to say they are the ones doing the rejecting. The Van Halens have gone on so long without doing anything, that I don't believe that they are in a position of power any longer. Each side, I feel, now has an equal share of power and responsiblility to get back together and do something. I don't think that Ed or Al can say "This is how it's gonna be," becuase the only options they have are Dave or Sammy (for me, preferably both). Period.
    Excellent point! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Right on the money Cerebral [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC:
    I respectfully disagree with the original post. Most of Dave's reviews were good. And personally he was awesome when I attended his concert. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Another excellent post [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] The show I went to certainly blew Sammy into oblivion, but both bands delivered a great time [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' Bout Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Dave in Detroit,and he was AWESOME!!!!!!
    " There's a lil Van Halen in everyone" - DLR

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave played THE music everyone wanted so badly- he kicked ass and took names later. HOW REFRESHING - A NO-HOLDS-BARRED KICK ASS ROCK-N-ROLL SHOW- DAVE delivered like it should be done- IT was a rock show haven't seen in years- the feel, atmosphere, the crowd- The best hits one after another...they just kept crankin' them out! It was GREAT!

I dig 'em both [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it had allot to do with what you expected and the fact that if you still thought what Roth does today, exactly (Well Not really exactly) like he did it 20 years ago, it might have been enjoyable to you. I didn't expect Roth to sound all that good, he's an aging vocalist and really has always been a mediocre singer live, what disappointed me was the fact that this on-stage charisma and presence he's supposedly know for was no where to be found as I saw it. At the Hartford show he could not have been more distant to the crowd than he was. I'm sure there were other shows where he may have sounded better, in fact I herd a bootleg from a Peoria concert that I thought he did sound very good. But I really can't see where his stage presence really changed much. I don't know that for a fact but it all seemed so contrived to me from beginning to end and that he probably did the same thing on-stage in all the shows..

On Fire
    Last Online

10.28.09 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave did a pretty good job at the Cleveland show. I must commend him.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To the one who said Dave should of blown Sammy out of the water. So untrue. Sammy knows how to have a good time Dave is just to old and has no vocal range. Even though Sammy is older he still knows how to party and thats what people wanted to attend a party. Not a greatest hits tribute.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw Diamond Dave and The Lower Chakrateers twice on the ROTH/HAGGAR Tour '02 an' both times THE GIGALO pitched an' ol' time WANG DANG DOODLE an' proved to be the LEGEND that he iz. The highlight of Sambo's shows? I left afta the snippet of Bob Dylan's,"Rainy Day Women #12& #35," recording!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] I am still a little puzzled az to why Sambo used Dave's Panama 'reach down' spiel durin' one o' hiz cuts?? WTF??

DLR made sho' fo' sho' that Ize gots my mo' moneyz worth thiz a herre summa nuff' said!!!!!! SHO NUFF!!!!! And his radio rodeo tour with the unplugged gigs on the radio prior to tha start of the Sam and Dave show were AMAZING!!!!!!

Hats Off To Diamond David Lee Roth!!!!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe the problem may be attributed to a different area. The posts varied from date to date, and if you toss out the extreme posts it may be more accurate to say that Dave was not as consistant. Keep in mind that he still has his qualities as an entertainer, but they rest less with vocal performance than when compared to others. I for one have seen Dave a few times over the past couple of years and don't think his performance was bad, but it was not as sharp as it was earlier.
    That did not make it a bad performance. I also had a chance to catch the Who a few weeks ago in Dallas. They were here a year ago as well. This years show was not as strong as last years. The music was strong, but the banter and the interaction was not the same. It is all part of the show.

KR
    If it will rock we will roll.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 563 Times in 305 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by thinlineokc:
    My point is that given the power of the VH tunes he had to choose from, his superior band, and the mystique that surrounds him along with his past onstage theatrics and banter, he should have blown Sammy off the stage every single night!
    That didn't happen. Why?
    Dave's act worked great when he was in Van Halen, cranking out album after album of the baddest music of the time, of all time. He was THE MAN, and everyone knew it. They/We all wanted to see the bad SOB who was the voice on those records, and back then, simply seeing them was plenty. We all wanted to see the crazy-ass, partying, rock and roll sex gods in person. Nobody much cared about how the band played, or how well Dave sang, 'cause he has never sung for shit in concert, ever. You left thinking that was the best damn show you ever saw.
    Nowadays, Dave is NOT pumping out the bad-ass music with VH, he is playing the same old songs. And yes, those are still awesome songs, but for his on-stage act to work, he needs to be not only singing most of VH1, he needs some current VH music.
    Dave's on-stage antics don't mean jack to someone sitting at the top of the hill at an amphitheatre. They can't see him, except on the screen, so all they have to go by is how well he sings, which we all know isn't very well.
    So those people, which are most of the folks at the show, go home thinking Sammy was better, because he can sing better, while the folks that sat up front may well think Dave stole the show.
    I think that if Dave had any new music that was even halfway popular, the general opinion of his shows would be better.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V