Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: No news policy

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

I think this no news policy from the band is actually a clever way of keeping the fans interested while they decide what to do next.

Think about it, if they made a statement to the effect of "there will be no new record or tour for x months\years" i reckon this place would be a lot quieter and fans would maybe loose interest in the band..

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I think the "no news" policy is doing a great job of driving people away in droves!

"No news and no communication = NO FANS!"

At least Mike finally got the gusto to say something. Too bad the brothers can't say ANYTHING at all.

Who cares at this point? If all we're destined for is some 3rd rate video sneaking in an underground tunnel with the Dahmer triplets in silver catskin suits and music that sounds NOTHING like Van Halen, I don't want it.

If this is all part of a "smokescreen" and "a sting", someone needs to open a window 'cause this stuff is choking the life outta me.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Originally posted by leroy:
    I think this no news policy from the band is actually a clever way of keeping the fans interested while they decide what to do next.

Think about it, if they made a statement to the effect of "there will be no new record or tour for x months\years" i reckon this place would be a lot quieter and fans would maybe loose interest in the band..
    Losing interest while retaining a loyal fan base during an announced hiatus is one thing, however, losing fan interest through the use of cryptic proverbial carrots is dishonest and shady, like a scam or something. In the long run, the former will do less damage and probably, in most cases, create a more loyal following because the fans realize that bands can't do what they do without an audience, and the band realizes the audience needs them too. It's audience participation that promotes the symbiotic energy that is cyclical at rock concerts. It's part of the nature of playing music that you treat your fans as part of a special group, like your extended family.

Example: Phish has a loyal fan following, probably not even as big as Van Halen's once was, or could be again. They played season after season of endless tours, basically defining themselves by their improvisational live show and 3 hour marathon concerts. Then, in the fall of 2000, after 7 studio albums and thousands of concerts over 17 years of touring, they announced they would be taking an undetermined "hiatus" so the band could spend more time with family and work on other projects not Phish. There has been no announcement of anything happening in the foreseeable future because the band has said "undetermined hiatus" and whenever any of them are interviewed in the past two years they say, "no plans, the four of us haven't even discussed it." In that time, Trey Anastasio has done a solo tour while recording and releasing the Oysterhead collaboration with Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland. Their keyboardist has started his own band. And their bassist has been making a movie (he was going to film school when Phish came along) while their drummer continues to play with two different jazz-improv bands. Phish will return definitely, that much is known, but it could 2, 4, or 5 years down the road. None of the fans are rabidly bitching and wining over this because there's no mystery, no cryptic "no news is good news" garbage. If Van Halen were this honest with its fans there would be way more of us around when they finally do come back without the bitterness.

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    I think the "no news" policy is doing a great job of driving people away in droves!

"No news and no communication = NO FANS!"

At least Mike finally got the gusto to say something. Too bad the brothers can't say ANYTHING at all.
    Yeah, Mikey's been saying a lot of things the last two years:

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ult...c;f=2;t=007600

It's like, "I see your mouth moving, but I don't hear anything." Reminds of when the adults talked on the old Peanuts cartoons.

[ March 02, 2002 at 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Fontcow ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I agree that the "no news is good news" routine got old a long time ago. After the disappointment of VH3 you think that good PR would be first and foremost on the bands mind. Like I said in an earlier post if they had just said that they were taking a long break we wouldn't have had all the bad feelings that have occured since Gary's departure. If the guys intend on making new music, they're eventually going to have to come to the fans in order to be able to sell it. Good PR shouldn't only happen during the selling and touring which occurs from a new album but it should take place in between albums. All anyone has ever asked is for periodic updates to take place at the bands official site. Keep the fans up to date as to the goings on with Van Halen. Case and point the whole WB Van Halen split. The story doesn't appear at VH.com but appears at the Links first before being confirmed by Brad. This besides Gary's departure and Ed's cancer was the biggest Van Halen news in the past few months and it's not even mentioned at the bands official site. The fans aren't asking too much here, we just want to stay close to our favorite band.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here is some news for you, i need another beer.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.