Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Van Halen was better with Sam. Van Halen was better with Dave. WHO GIVES A SHIT?!?!?! I am so tired of every subject on this site degenerate into the same old Sam vs. Dave crap. You could ask the simple question of: "Why do I have to have my seat in an upright position and my tray-table locked for landing?", and somewhere along the thread someone would start complaining about Dave being bald or Sammy eating 40 Krispy Kremes in one sitting. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Music is about feelings and opinions and, therefore, there is no right and wrong. The fact remains is that there are three separate bands called Van Halen: The Dave version, the Sam version, and the Ed (VH III) version. Maybe you like the first Van Halen with it's raw energy and power. Perhaps Van Halen Mach II floats your boat with the growing maturity and melodies. Heck, the third incarnation of the band might be your favorite with it's "stream of consciousness" songwriting.

My point is that all three are so different they are almost impossible to compare so what's the point? Do Daveheads really think you are going to change the mind of someone who really digs Sammy? Do Redheads really think that someone who loves DLR is going to say, "You're right, OU812 IS my favorite album - thanks for showing me the light!". It's just not going to happen.

Another thing: Dave is bald and Sammy is chunky. BIG F'ING DEAL! Does Sammy have difficulty belting out "5150" between chili dogs? Not that I've seen. Does Dave's ever expanding dome prevent him from crooning "Little Dreamer". No. The personal attacks against one singer or another are stupid - plain and simple.

Who knows what the future will bring to Van Halen or the fans. All I know is that I am thankful of the 24 years and 11 great and 1 interesting/experimental (VH III) albums of kick ass music that Van Halen gave me.

[ August 06, 2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: wip5150 ]
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What else is there to talk about? We keep redoing all the touchy feely "what VH music has done for me" threads as new posters come on and re-introduce them. Shit, I'm only 9 months or so here, and I'm already sighing over the same threads being done and redone.

And, as far as changing minds, I can tell you that my first couple of months here really opened my eyes to much of what I had missed. I decided to take my red colored Hagar blinders off and dig into the world of David Lee Roth's Van Halen again, and found I liked it a LOT more than I remembered. In fact, if Dave wasn't such a bizarre guy/asshole (sorry), I just might have turned into a Rothbot. But, ultimately, the same thing that held me back at first in 1984 still gets me know, and that is that I'm not too fond of the personna that Dave projects. I don't HATE it, but I think it detracts from the music. More so than Sammy's sappy lyrics, IMO.

But, if I hadn't started hanging out here, and I hadn't read some of the more intelligent Sam vs. Dave posts (which are few and far between), I probably wouldn't have started listening again to the original 6 albums, and I wouldn't have bought the remasters...

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In fact, if Dave wasn't such a bizarre guy/asshole (sorry), I just might have turned into a Rothbot. But, ultimately, the same thing that held me back at first in 1984 still gets me know, and that is that I'm not too fond of the personna that Dave projects. I don't HATE it, but I think it detracts from the music
    Thanks, this describes exactly how I feel about Dave.....I love old VH , but when I see him being arrogant and insulting to the fans (us) it makes me not want to see him back in....
    Kev
    keVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

DREAMS
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by wip5150:
    Van Halen was better with Sam. Van Halen was better with Dave. WHO GIVES A SHIT?!?!?! I am so tired of every subject on this site degenerate into the same old Sam vs. Dave crap. You could ask the simple question of: "Why do I have to have my seat in an upright position and my tray-table locked for landing?", and somewhere along the thread someone would start complaining about Dave being bald or Sammy eating 40 Krispy Kremes in one sitting. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Music is about feelings and opinions and, therefore, there is no right and wrong. The fact remains is that there are three separate bands called Van Halen: The Dave version, the Sam version, and the Ed (VH III) version. Maybe you like the first Van Halen with it's raw energy and power. Perhaps Van Halen Mach II floats your boat with the growing maturity and melodies. Heck, the third incarnation of the band might be your favorite with it's "stream of consciousness" songwriting.

My point is that all three are so different they are almost impossible to compare so what's the point? Do Daveheads really think you are going to change the mind of someone who really digs Sammy? Do Redheads really think that someone who loves DLR is going to say, "You're right, OU812 IS my favorite album - thanks for showing me the light!". It's just not going to happen.

Another thing: Dave is bald and Sammy is chunky. BIG F'ING DEAL! Does Sammy have difficulty belting out "5150" between chili dogs? Not that I've seen. Does Dave's ever expanding dome prevent him from crooning "Little Dreamer". No. The personal attacks against one singer or another are stupid - plain and simple.

Who knows what the future will bring to Van Halen or the fans. All I know is that I am thankful of the 24 years and 11 great and 1 interesting/experimental (VH III) albums of kick ass music that Van Halen gave me.
    BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER AND PARTY ON DUDES!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

DREAMS
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by wip5150:

Fact is Sammy has lost alot of weight and Dave is still bald. Fact is Dave was good in the day but no more. Sam was and still is STANDING ON TOP OF THE WORLD! I want Sam back not some washed up loser who spray paints his hair!!! RED HEADS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ August 07, 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Bill.S.Preston Esquire ]
    BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER AND PARTY ON DUDES!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Probably Fair Warning or Balance
    Favorite VH Song

HARD TO SAY!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, either we can bitch about which of the two lead singers are better, make up some topic about our "firsts" having to do with Van Halen, or make up a rumour to back up what we feel about the band...or do something else I dunno. I say, if it occupies some new material-deprived minds until the day Van Halen releases SOMETHING, all the power to it. Maybe it makes us feel like we'll change something...well probably not.
    Live well,<br />Work hard,<br />and ROCK ON!<br />~EvA~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hear ya wip5150. Been here over two years and the same tired argument comes up as often as some nutfuck calling during dinner to offer you a great long-dstance rate.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But the dave era is better.