Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of it!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

If Dave had not elected to leave VH for a movie and solo music career in 1985 there would be none of this Dave vs. Sammy B.S. going on every day. The "Diamond One" made an irrational decision back then and it backfired. Why he really thought that he could be so successful by himself is beyond me? Dave is creative, I'll give him credit. EVH wanted to move on in 1985 and did. Roth thought the perverbial VH ship was going to sink after he left. Unfortunately, EVH thought he could do the same in 1998 as well when his ship sank. I think Hagar came out of this whole mess a winner!

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Alot of truth in this post although I don't think there were any winners. All have seen downturns in their respective careers and all have made bad decisions ,used poor judgement ,and let their egos get the best of them at on point or another
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I really don't see anything negative that happened to Hagar. He was basically fired. The second singer that the Bros. talked shit about after they left, ie. LSD. Then they come out with Roth at VMA and look like total fuckheads and then get into it with Roth again no album or tour. Then, EVH says FU to both and hires Cherone who EVH says "is like his soulmate." Yea right! Then the VH Bros. put "Dedicated to our Fans" on VH3 Album.....don't want to lose your fan base because they've been through 2 singers already. VH3 flops "Big Time" Cherone, singer #3 is gone and EVH has egg on his face.....but he did dedicate it to the fans? Now, VH Bros have been in a holding pattern for 4-5 yrs now and don't seem to know how to fly the airplane with the autopilot off. I know EVH is surely regretting getting rid of Hagar now more than ever. A reunion won't happen though because the egos on the VH side are way too big.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Contrails:
    If Dave had not elected to leave VH for a movie and solo music career in 1985 there would be none of this Dave vs. Sammy B.S. going on every day....
    Dave insists one of the reasons he left was because the Van Halen's brothers' drinking had gotten in the way of them being productive and he got tired of waiting around to do the 1984 follow up. Dave's the kind who's always on the go and I guess the rest of the group was in slow mode so he got impatient. I think the other reason was he seen the new musical direction Ed was moving in and he didn't think he'd fit into that. Contrary to what many say, I really don't think Dave quit 'cause he thought he was too good for them. He knew what a good thing he had but at the time, he didn't see much of a future in, so he left.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Dave's ego had very large part in him leaving VH, don't kid yourself. Whether EVH was slow to want to tour or whatever is inconsequential. He obviously had enough song material in 1985 to come up with 5150. Dave likes to re-make older songs that fit him like a "Dime Store Glove" EVH was tired of that shit that's why he built the studio on his proprety. Who knows? Maybe Dave heard the riff to Dreams and shit his pants. Dave should probably be thanking Sammy for taking over in 86' It's obvious it didn't hurt VH by any means. And I'm a fan of both eras.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave left because he wasn't getting along with the guys anymore. It's pretty clear. In the past, he wouldn't get along with them but still be able to use that to the band's advantage. 1984 had been a nightmare to put together...Dave states this in several interviews during promotion for 1984. But then, when it was time to put together 5150, and the band was moving even slower, Dave was clearly freaking out. He wanted to move, and he wanted to take advantage of the gigantic limelight the band were now in. I don't completely blame Eddie, but it is clear that he was fucked up.

It's funny how now a lot of articles will say "Eddie kicked Dave out to get a more melodic singer in Sammy." Well, that's just not how it happened. Dave left, and Eddie was very depressed. He was quite shocked, and he states it in many interviews. Dave was an idiot for leaving. He should have stuck it out, accepted that the band were slow-moving at the time, and make the best of it. Dave has also stated publicly that 5150 was well on its way by the time he left. I think he indeed had some lyrics and songs worked out...but the momentum had obviously not kicked in yet, and it is known that material like "5150" was not written until Sammy joined. Some songs were worked out, others weren't. Dave thought the band was going down the toilet, so he left...prematurely. It obviously shocked the hell out of him that they came back strong, and it destroyed any plans he had of rejoining with them a couple of years down the line. He figured he'd leave, give them a couple of years to get their shit together, and then rejoin. Fucking stupid. I'm still mad at him for it. But it's not totally his fault.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Rikk:
    Dave left because he wasn't getting along with the guys anymore. It's pretty clear.
    To you, maybe, but not to me.

It's pretty clear to me that he left to become a solo artist and a movie star.

Funny how things come back full circle, isn't it?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

So far I've heard Dave left because the Bros. were drinking, they were slow to come up with material, they didn't get along, didn't want to tour, their pussies hurt, etc. All very good reasons to leave a band at the top of their game? Truth: Dave thought he could ride the coattails of VH success (1984)into a sucessful movie and solo career and it backfired. End of Story. I have all the interviews as well. Roth's ego was evident all over 1984. For instance, the videos from 1984......How many times do you see Dave's mug in front of the camera doing his little facial expressions or whatever he does. The guy thinks his shit doesn't stink. He still does even after seeing him this summer. If Dave could of contained his ego in 85' there would be no arguments today who the better frontman is or was.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Both sides are guilty of "over-inflated" egos. Drugs had taken over the band by the time 1984 got here, and created larger than life egos. The break from each other was probably a good thing at the time.

Time to be men about it and put the egos aside !

Look at Perry/Tyler, Sambora/Bon Jovi these are examples of how to be "men" and make the best of things. (no comparison other than how to get along should be made from that, btw)

Get it to together boys, time is running out !

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guitar Shark and Contrails:

You both have good points, and in a way you're right. But I think we're both right. Dave would not simply have left if the band were donig amazing and making great music. Don't forget: Dave is a creative guy. But there's this sad habit of a lot of Sammy fans to turn Dave into the devil. Hey, I'm a giant Dave fan, and I think he was an idiot in 1985 and I think he was wrong.

Anyway, the point is: he had his reasons for leaving, for not wanting to be around anymore. And those are the reasons I listed earlier. Things were not going down well. As for the movie thing and solo artist thing, obviously he had hopes for them. If he didn't feel anything was waiting for him outside the band, he never would have left. That would have been suicide. But he'd convinced himself that he completely didn't need the band, and that was stupid. The band wasn't working AND he felt it was then time to become a solo artist and movie star.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Dave left because he wasn't getting along with the guys anymore. It's pretty clear. In the past, he wouldn't get along with them but still be able to use that to the band's advantage. 1984 had been a nightmare to put together...Dave states this in several interviews during promotion for 1984. But then, when it was time to put together 5150, and the band was moving even slower, Dave was clearly freaking out. He wanted to move, and he wanted to take advantage of the gigantic limelight the band were now in. I don't completely blame Eddie, but it is clear that he was fucked up.

It's funny how now a lot of articles will say "Eddie kicked Dave out to get a more melodic singer in Sammy." Well, that's just not how it happened. Dave left, and Eddie was very depressed. He was quite shocked, and he states it in many interviews. Dave was an idiot for leaving. He should have stuck it out, accepted that the band were slow-moving at the time, and make the best of it. Dave has also stated publicly that 5150 was well on its way by the time he left. I think he indeed had some lyrics and songs worked out...but the momentum had obviously not kicked in yet, and it is known that material like "5150" was not written until Sammy joined. Some songs were worked out, others weren't. Dave thought the band was going down the toilet, so he left...prematurely. It obviously shocked the hell out of him that they came back strong, and it destroyed any plans he had of rejoining with them a couple of years down the line. He figured he'd leave, give them a couple of years to get their shit together, and then rejoin. Fucking stupid. I'm still mad at him for it. But it's not totally his fault.
    Great Post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] One other thing that I'd like to add about this "Movie Star" bullshit. At the time Dave was riding so high with the success of the 1984 and the Crazy From The Heat videos he thought that it was a logical step to make a movie. He wanted VH to do the music and soundtrack. I'm sure that he would have wanted them in it as well. What is wrong with that? They were at their zenith at the time. The Beatles did Help, A Hard Days Night, etc. Kiss made that pathetic TV movie at the height of their popularity. Hell, even Phil Collins made some movie in the 80's when he was extremely popular. I just don't think Dave handled it in the right way to the band. His ego probably came off insulting to Ed. Yet, it's so ironic how so many things that Roth wanted Van Halen to do in 1985 they eventually did.
    Examples:
    Because it was taking so long to get anything going for the follow up to 1984 Dave thought that the best thing to do was to make a "Best Of" with TWO new songs. Sound familiar?
    Second, Alex stated that he did not want to do any more long tours, he just wanted to do a few stadium tours in the summer. Well when they released 5150 they had to go and do a long tour that lasted several months. Then when they did that Monsters Of Rock fiasco in the summer of 1988 they had to do an OU812 tour after that to make up for the money that they had lost with a "Stadium" tour.
    In conclusion, all parties are responsible for destroying the original lineup of the greatest rock and roll band ever IMO.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ou812max:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rikk:

Great Post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] One other thing that I'd like to add about this "Movie Star" bullshit. At the time Dave was riding so high with the success of the 1984 and the Crazy From The Heat videos he thought that it was a logical step to make a movie. He wanted VH to do the music and soundtrack. I'm sure that he would have wanted them in it as well. What is wrong with that? They were at their zenith at the time. The Beatles did Help, A Hard Days Night, etc. Kiss made that pathetic TV movie at the height of their popularity. Hell, even Phil Collins made some movie in the 80's when he was extremely popular. I just don't think Dave handled it in the right way to the band. His ego probably came off insulting to Ed. Yet, it's so ironic how so many things that Roth wanted Van Halen to do in 1985 they eventually did.
    Examples:
    Because it was taking so long to get anything going for the follow up to 1984 Dave thought that the best thing to do was to make a "Best Of" with TWO new songs. Sound familiar?
    Second, Alex stated that he did not want to do any more long tours, he just wanted to do a few stadium tours in the summer. Well when they released 5150 they had to go and do a long tour that lasted several months. Then when they did that Monsters Of Rock fiasco in the summer of 1988 they had to do an OU812 tour after that to make up for the money that they had lost with a "Stadium" tour.
    In conclusion, all parties are responsible for destroying the original lineup of the greatest rock and roll band ever IMO.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yup! That's pretty much it. Notice how Dave-fans get all this shit (mainly on this forum) for "licking Dave's ass" and all. Yet most of us are able to point out his faults and mistakes and admit that leaving Van Halen was stupid. Fans of the "other singer" seem to think Dave is responsible for everything that went wrong with VH, Sammy was the most popualar thing in the world, Dave never had anything to do with their success, Dave is an egomaniac with no creativity, bringing Dave back is not what the world wants (yeah, right)...and on and on and on. There are different bad episodes in VH's history, and different people are to blame for different episodes. And anyone who thinks Dave was not the most popular frontman in the world when VH were at their peak either wasn't around at the time or does not have a very good memory. And people who try to deny that Dave is not the average listener's most valued pick of VH singer is fooling themselves. This forum has a wide range of VH fan, but on average, not just hardcore fans, Dave is still the one most people hope for. And if you think he'd fuck it all up, then we'll all either be laughing at a second-rate Sammy reunion or us Roth fans will be laughing our asses off at a brilliant new Dave/VH album.

[ August 24, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Rikk ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Yup! That's pretty much it. Notice how Dave-fans get all this shit (mainly on this forum) for "licking Dave's ass" and all. Yet most of us are able to point out his faults and mistakes and admit that leaving Van Halen was stupid. Fans of the "other singer" seem to think Dave is responsible for everything that went wrong with VH, Sammy was the most popualar thing in the world, Dave never had anything to do with their success, Dave is an egomaniac with no creativity, bringing Dave back is not what the world wants (yeah, right)...and on and on and on.

You are right on the money again my friend. Most of the posts that I have read by you are usually factual and when you state an opinion it is clear that it is YOUR OPINION not a "fact". As for Dave fans like a few of us, "licking Roth's ass" usually comes from the same certain person again and again. You know, the one who calls you "Roftard Rikki" and calls me "Oh You Ate Rof's Poo" pretty clever isn't he? Just once I'd like to read an intelligent, informative or factual post that has something to do with Van Halen come from him. It's never going to happen. Anyway I thought I'd throw my two cents in on this. Peace [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ou812max:

Yup! That's pretty much it. Notice how Dave-fans get all this shit (mainly on this forum) for "licking Dave's ass" and all. Yet most of us are able to point out his faults and mistakes and admit that leaving Van Halen was stupid. Fans of the "other singer" seem to think Dave is responsible for everything that went wrong with VH, Sammy was the most popualar thing in the world, Dave never had anything to do with their success, Dave is an egomaniac with no creativity, bringing Dave back is not what the world wants (yeah, right)...and on and on and on.

You are right on the money again my friend. Most of the posts that I have read by you are usually factual and when you state an opinion it is clear that it is YOUR OPINION not a "fact". As for Dave fans like a few of us, "licking Roth's ass" usually comes from the same certain person again and again. You know, the one who calls you "Roftard Rikki" and calls me "Oh You Ate Rof's Poo" pretty clever isn't he? Just once I'd like to read an intelligent, informative or factual post that has something to do with Van Halen come from him. It's never going to happen. Anyway I thought I'd throw my two cents in on this. Peace [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Peace, my friend, indeed.

BK never really has anything intelligent to offer. And while I have no problem fighting with someone, his posts usually never get beyond the point of changing the person's name into some pathetic insult or claiming we're all Roth's "ass-lickers." Pathetic.

I always enjoy your posts as well. It goes to show that, unlike some people's claims, Roth fans are not always biased and simply have a preference. Some people can't deal with that. I could give a fuck if some VH fans prefer Sam. Hey, freedom of speech and opinion. Good for them. I don't agree, but we're all human, right? And as long as we're not all lying or shoving shit in each other's faces, then we can just have friendly disagreements instead of moronic flame fights which seem to be BK's only method of communication.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

i too was around when roth left and he was the biggest name in rock....i was happy when halen did well with hagar and love that era too..roth thought he was bigger than the band and they stuck it to him...