Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I mentioned in another post how it had been, like 10 years since I'd heard one of Dave's solo tunes on the radio. I only heard "Marching To Mars" once - can't remember where I was - and none of the rest of Sammy's post-Van Halen output ever on the radio. I do hear "I Can't Drive 55", "Heavy Metal" and "There's Only One Way To Rock" occasionally, but that's it. Admittedly, I only usually listen to classic rock (except sometimes when I travel) because I don't have the patience to wade through the rubble of today's "rock" to get to the good stuff, but to me, if an artist is classic rock, that should include his new stuff, too, unless it's a 180 degree turn. Anyway, what kind of stations do you listen to, and what kind of songs from our heroes solo careers do you hear (excluding album previews where you hear the whole thing) in your towns? And where's that Cabo Kid when we need him to tell us what kind of stuff was in his station's play list?!?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

06.07.06 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hear absolutely nothing from Dave's solo stuff on the radio, and very little of Sammy's. I listen to the new rock and classic rock stations in Dallas and they will sometimes play Heavy Metal or I Can't Drive 55, but that's it.

When I lived in Houston I used to hear more of Sammy's solo stuff, but never Dave's stuff. They used to play Little White Lie and Both Sides Now a lot when MTM first came out, but I don't hear those anymore either.

Before I bought his albums, I had never heard any of Dave's solo stuff except for California Girls and Just a Gigolo because MTV used to show the videos a lot.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Here I are, Billy!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually, when we made the switch from "classic rock" to "mainstream rock", we kept nearly all the VH stuff we had. Now granted, we tightened up a bit on the "deep cuts" that most Joe Blows wouldn't know off hand, but we kept stuff like "Unchained" and "Jamie's Cryin'" and "RWTD"...cool ROCK cuts.

I actually got a very interesting article though last week about the invasion of hip-hop and how it is killing rock. It made a lot of sense to me and really made me look at any potential VH reunion, whether with Dave or Sam, as something that only the diehards would get off on. John Q. Public Music Listener isn't into a 20+ year old rock band...the trends, however screwed up we think they are, reflect those of a "rap influenced" rock base. (ie: Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, KORN, etc).

It's really sad to see this happening. If you think about it, the "dinosaurs" of rock that are still plodding along are Aerosmith, AC/DC, occasionally the Stones, Ozzy, Sammy and a handful of the arena/corporate bands that headline state fairs (ie: Journey, Foreigner, Styx, REO, etc) I really do think, VH notwithstanding, we are witnessing a slow and painful death of the music that we all grew up with.

That's why I think there is a lot of validity to the argument that if DLR tours this summer, he should try to be a bit more viable to the rock market or he WILL become one of the new oldies' acts. In fact, that's where all the classic rock bands of the 70's and hair bands of the 80's are headed. That's why those package tours are so popular...even the 45+ people get off on the Paul Revere / Beach Boys / Chuck Negron tours. It's the music of your youth all wrapped up into one afternoon.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't listen to much radio around here, but I've heard a smattering of stuff.

When Ten13 first came out I heard Serious JuJu on the AOR station once or twice. I never heard it but Let Sally Drive was on the playlist of a alt. rock station for a month or two. I occasionally hear One Way to Rock.

As far as VH stuff goes, I've heard Top of the World, Best of Both Worlds, and Black and Blue.

On the DLR side, I NEVER hear any of his solo work. The majority of the DLR VH material seems to come off of VH1 and 1984 (usually Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Runnin' With the Devil, Panama, Hot For Teacher, You Really Got Me, and Jamie's Cryin').
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Chicago (the Loop), we get lotsa VH (both Dave & Sam eras), and some solo-Sammy (mostly pre-VH) as well.

Rarely have they played solo-Dave...until this past weekend!! [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img] I heard "Just Like Paradise" Saturday AM, and was shocked out of disbelief! Wish they would've played Hina, or Bump & Grind, something like that.

Coincidence, with Dave's tour plans? I think not.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

They play almost all Dave-era down here, when I have the radio on; pretty good variety, from Unchained to Beautiful Girls. Heard Best of Both Worlds once, in the middle of a Dave set. Heard Let Sally Drive twice. I have yet to hear DLR solo on the radio.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DREAMS
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here in lovely Detroit we hear alot of VH, both Sammy and Dave. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    When I used to be on midnights I kept track for a couple of weeks-we were really slow- and it worked out to be a VH tune about once an hour. It also worked out to be about 50/50 between the 2 singers.
    Hardly ever hear VH3-maybe without you once every 6 months or so.
    Daves solo stuff does not get played at all, except for Yankee Rose and Just like Paradise, you'll hear them every once in a while.
    Sammy solo gets a decent amount of airplay-55, one way to rock, heavy metal are played on a pretty regular basis as are Bad motor scooter and rock candy from the Montrose days. As far as new Sammy stuff LWL got played all the time when it first came out as did MTM but they died out after a while and you hardly ever hear them anymore. I heard Serious JuJu and Let Sally Drive alot about 6 months ago but don't really hear them anymore. Mas Tequila got a ton of airplay when it was released and it's the one "newer" Sammy song that still gets a decent amount of airplay-I hear it about 2-3 times a week-keep in mind I listen to the radio anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Al Hagar