Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know most on this forum are not big VH3 fans but was the split a bad thing? I say this because at least when VH3 was around you could be assured of VH actually having a touor where all the VH fans could go and watch the band in action. Now they have split and with the differences between VH and Dave and Sammy there appears to be no hope of them ever performing again. I would love to hear your oopinons on this

No Bozo's
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattyo5150: I would love to hear your oopinons on this<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a fan since 89', I missed the split of dave(I had no idea that they were the "total party band") but I was only 14. So growing up with Van Hagar(And no I don't like that term) it was inconseivable that they would break up?

So to my dissmay, they announce that GC was in and that they left SH. What a blow to the ribs man. But I did have high expectations for VH3 since I knew that GC had a decent voice with Extreme.

Nuhuh ... GC's voice was plastered with "Hagar's" simplicities and it seemed that it was influenced somehow.

Although it was an alblum that "ED" co-produced, you would think that maybe, yes "that you could put some blame on ed" and say well let's try to get maybe "andy johns" the F.U.C.K producer and TT in there as the engineer to make another alblum.

Well, you know ... GC's voice "sucked", even on the tour, and also you couldn't even "understand what he's saying in 1/2 the songs"-DIF.

So this is what I say ...

VH must be up to something "good" cause they have never been this quiet! ...

NB takes a *rip* from the bong ...
    *swig*
    *drag*

Peace ...

------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

"Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love, I'm The One
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts

I can't agree with Mattyo5150 and disagree with No Bozo's more. In my opinion, III was a great version of the band and not given the chance to show what it would have been capable of. On the album, Gary's voice was too soft and too much attention was put into putting the guitar "up front". I saw the III tour in KC in July '98 and I thought Gary was awesome. He sang both Roth and Hagar era tunes great. It was terrific to hear the old tunes that Hagar declined to sing. Not only did Gary belt them out, he sang them with enthusiasm like they were "his" songs. Can't say that when Sammy sang jump and panama, etc.

I will say that I'm highly anticipating a reunion with Roth, but GC had a lot to offer and I think after Ed got the "experimental" bug out of his system, the product would have been nothing short of amazing.

We'll never know though dammit. I just cling to the hopes of a kick ass album and tour in the coming months with the Diamond one fronting my favorite band of all time.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I would have loved to hear what VH and Gary were cooking up before they parted company. I guess the ultimate answer to the "bad thing" question lies with the next step the band makes. If they put out a stunning album with Dave, then the split with Gary will seem like it was the right thing. If they put out a poor album that doesn't capture the VH spirit, it'll seem like Gary leaving was a bad thing.

Personally, I don't think VH is capable of putting out a bad album. And at their ages they likely aren't going to go another 10 years with any singer at the helm. Much as we want product all the time, VH are a veteran band, and therefore the wait between albums will almost always be long.

I hope in the end that Gary is remembered for being a class individual who put his heart into being the VH frontman during his tenure.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I would have loved to hear what VH and Gary were cooking up before they parted company. I guess the ultimate answer to the "bad thing" question lies with the next step the band makes. If they put out a stunning album with Dave, then the split with Gary will seem like it was the right thing. If they put out a poor album that doesn't capture the VH spirit, it'll seem like Gary leaving was a bad thing.

Personally, I don't think VH is capable of putting out a bad album. And at their ages they likely aren't going to go another 10 years with any singer at the helm. Much as we want product all the time, VH are a veteran band, and therefore the wait between albums will almost always be long.

I hope in the end that Gary is remembered for being a class individual who put his heart into being the VH frontman during his tenure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't have said it better myself, buddy!

------------------
    "I've never been a big Christina Aguilera fan. She looks cheap and trashy and strungout. I mean, she just looks...infected."
    -anonymous

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The VD breakup was a great thing....

It made a Van HALEN reunion happen

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country
    EUAS 2001 : The Wrath of Roth

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

When Gary was announced as VH's next singer I was bummed at first simply because of the departure of Sam and then the subsequent departure of Dave. I got over it though and gave Gary a chance. VH3 was s tepping stone for the band. It certainly wasn't VH's best work but it certainly wasn't a disaster like most people seem to think it was. If VH3 had gone double platinum we'd have another album with Gary right now and tour. The bottom line thoug is VH3 was a failure sales wise and that's why the band parted company with Gary. The foundation was laid with the first album with Gary. Since it was a disappointment VH's odds at recapturing the fans with a second album with Gary would have been that much more difficult no matter how good it might have been. Ed's experimental album with Gary should have come with their second release not the first.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

It's nice to feel the love in here for the effort GC gave to VH. No matter who you hear interviewed, they can say nothing except that Gary is a stand-up, terrific guy. People were caught up in the comparison of him to the other two singers, rather than listen to how talented of a lyricist and singer he is. I get sick of how people say he didn't "fit" in the band. He fit fine. Eddie didn't heap all the praise on him during his tenure in the band had he not meant it. Musically they clicked, it's just that many wouldn't give it a chance. What I've consistently read here is that those who really listened to the record and didn't like it at first, but gave it a few more listens, really started to like it. I agree that maybe it wasn't their best work, but Eddie had 20+ years doing things his way and Gary had 10 years in Extreme doing his thing. If you listen to early Extreme, the VH influence is ridicuously evident, but the last two Extreme albums were very unique with more of a Queen flavor than VH. That shows where Gary was at musically when he came into VH. Although III was still obviously the VH sound, it departed a little from their typical style. Gary's influence came through and that was a good thing. I think that in the wake of the discontent with Hagar and the debacle with Roth in '96, it was what Eddie was looking for.

Taken for its musical art and integrity, III is a wonderful album. If you watched the tour you can tell Eddie and the band were reinvigorated with Gary at the helm. It's too bad that outside pressures drove a wedge into this version of the band. Whether or not the music was viable in the music market of the late nineties shouldn't matter. It was good and if it (the band) was left alone and allowed to continue, it would've gotten better.

Besides, if it weren't for Gary, we wouldn't be on the verge of Roth being back.

Again it's nice to hear the support for GC in VH. I loved Gary in the band (isn't that obvious with my name). Before I got to this board I only read about how terrible the album was and how inept Gary was to be the lead guy for VH. It's nice to hear some views that are not too far from my own concerning the short membership of Cherone in VH. I just think it was too bad that support wasn't louder (as in record sales). We would have gotten a new album by now.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

There is no question that Gary is a class act who handled himself with dignity in a no-win situation.

That being said, VHIII was a musical mistake -- an Ed Van Halen ego trip -- that simply highlighted the MUSICAL importance of Roth and Hagar. Dave and Sammy gave form to Ed's genius. Without their strong songwriting skills (like them or not), the boys produced a formless, directionless, weak album.

In retrospect, I bet that even Gary wishes that he had been in a position to assert himself more. I bet VHIII would have been better for it.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokin' 5150:
    There is no question that Gary is a class act who handled himself with dignity in a no-win situation.

That being said, VHIII was a musical mistake -- an Ed Van Halen ego trip -- that simply highlighted the MUSICAL importance of Roth and Hagar. Dave and Sammy gave form to Ed's genius. Without their strong songwriting skills (like them or not), the boys produced a formless, directionless, weak album.

In retrospect, I bet that even Gary wishes that he had been in a position to assert himself more. I bet VHIII would have been better for it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with all that except that the album was weak. Again, it's just my opinion that the album was great. I loved both Sammy and Dave too. In contrast to you, I believe that Gary is a very strong songwriter. I say this as being a huge Extreme fan from way back. To go back over Extreme's catalog of music, it is very clear how strong he is in that capacity. I just wish more could've come out of the union with Gary.

What you say is very true. Eddie produced III and his ego got in the way (See my previous post concerning putting the guitar up front...).

I totally agree with the last comment. If Gary would have or could have asserted himself more it would have been better. Maybe that was your angle about being a "strong" songwriter.

I guess it doesn't matter. I just hope to be able to enjoy both an album by a reunified VH with Roth and a solo project by Gary.

For those of you not so sure about Gary, go back and take a listen to old Extreme stuff. Being VH fans you'll like what you hear.

-------------

"You analyze the earth and the sky,
    I ask you why you can't analyze the signs
    of the present time."

-extreme: rise'n'shine-

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I still contest Gary's leaving was not because of a poor start to a followup album, but the fact Gary wasn't happy in the band.

Think about it, he goes from suddenly being out of Extreme to suddenly being in Van Halen. It's like a relationship - rebound dates will never satisfy you, they just help you forget your woes for a few weeks. And then, of course, Gary had to step into an environment where Hagar fans were upset at how he got treated and Roth fans were upset because they had their dreams dangled in front of their face only to get them jerkec back away. It was just a lose-lose situation.

All that having been said, 3 is a good, strong album, just not a good strong Van Halen album. It was an artistic risk and a departure for the band, and it proved to be too much of one for the fan base they had, it would seem. Maybe if this was still 1986 and the band was still coming off of a 10 million sales album they could have found enough of a new fan base to support their new format. Oh well, means to an end, if nothing else

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    I still contest Gary's leaving was not because of a poor start to a followup album, but the fact Gary wasn't happy in the band.

Think about it, he goes from suddenly being out of Extreme to suddenly being in Van Halen. It's like a relationship - rebound dates will never satisfy you, they just help you forget your woes for a few weeks. And then, of course, Gary had to step into an environment where Hagar fans were upset at how he got treated and Roth fans were upset because they had their dreams dangled in front of their face only to get them jerkec back away. It was just a lose-lose situation.

All that having been said, 3 is a good, strong album, just not a good strong Van Halen album. It was an artistic risk and a departure for the band, and it proved to be too much of one for the fan base they had, it would seem. Maybe if this was still 1986 and the band was still coming off of a 10 million sales album they could have found enough of a new fan base to support their new format. Oh well, means to an end, if nothing else
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more. I think the split was due to a combination of reasons...Warner Bros. not happy with sales, Gary was not able to express himself because his influence moved the band in an un-VH like direction (which WB didn't like) and thus Gary became unhappy with the situation. With the external pressure and his own unhappiness, both sides could agree to spilt amicably, which they did. As I've said many times before, I wish it would've worked out. Extreme and VH are my favorite bands. If they both couldn't exist, a merger between the two was the next best thing.

My world was shattered when the announcement that Gary was out of the band came. I didn't think VH would be able to continue on (a reunion with dave or sammy seemed impossible), and even with my open mindedness, it would have been difficult to swallow another singer (Gary was easy to accept because of my affinity for Extreme). Now my hopes hinge on Diamond Dave making a reappearance. Somebody reassure me please!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

GWCT, I'll reassure you...

They could have announced David Hasselhoff was the lead singer

"Ja, wir hoeren Van Halen zu! Van Halen ist sehr gut, ja?"

Or, something like that, been a few years since I took German

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    GWCT, I'll reassure you...

They could have announced David Hasselhoff was the lead singer

"Ja, wir hoeren Van Halen zu! Van Halen ist sehr gut, ja?"

Or, something like that, been a few years since I took German
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny that you mention the "Hoff." When I lived in Germany we used to listen to him just as a joke. Songs like "Gypsy Girl" and "Clap your hands for Rock'n'Roll" were party favorites.

BTW:
    Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen! Es is gut jemand zu treffen, der auch deutsch sprechen kann. Van Halen ist das beste Gruppe!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Garywascooltoo:

Ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen! Es is gut jemand zu treffen, der auch deutsch sprechen kann. Van Halen ist das beste Gruppe!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stimmt! (yeah, that's cheating, but so is the argument ending "doch" )

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!