Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 11:30 PM
    Liked 2,149 Times in 957 Posts

Premium Member
    I wanted to start this thread as a topic that has been touched on in a round about way. The subject is Eddie doing a solo project NOT called Van Halen.

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a wonderful and amazing Sam and Dave show in Nobelsville, IL last night. Today I had a nice long plane ride back to San Francisco to think about the current status of Van Halen. I can't believe I am saying this, but I came to the conclusion that I am NOT interest in seeing either Sam or Dave working with Eddie and Alex again (but I WOULD like them to become "friends" again [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] ).

This is the reason...These guys aren't 25 years old anymore . Sam spends half the show talking about getting wasted and partying and Dave does his thing. Granted, all the old school Van Halen songs that Dave played sent shivers up my spine, but I have come to the conclusion that I personally don't want to see Van Halen become a nostalgia act. Or should I say, I don't think that Eddie wants to be a part of that.

So, my basic thesis does have some realism attached to it. I think Eddie will go solo and do "projects" NOT called Van Halen. In all probability they will not be nearly as popular as Van Halen was, but I think that Eddie is interested in staying "fresh" and innovative. I don't think that he is all that interested putting on the leather pants and jumping off stages that much anymore. Also, it will NOT be an instrumental guitar album. I think it will be something very song oriented that will not have the Van Halen name attached to it.

Just one more clarification. I am not saying "Eddie is better than Dave or Sam," or "Sam and Dave don't deserve to sing for Van Halen," it is just that I think they are all going in such different directions that it would be best for all of them to just go their own ways (and bury the hatchet with all the personal crap for God's sake!). Sam can go and do his Waboritas thing (which is a total blast), Dave can take his band and play old Van Halen songs (making me wish and think of the good old days) and Eddie can put out music that he wants to put out WITHOUT the band name Van Halen luggage to carry.

In conclusion, I won't be upset if Dave or Sam comes back, I just think it would be best for all them to move on with their lives.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I could live with that. I mean I'd love to see Dave hook back up with the band and all but if Ed were to do other things I could deal with it. As a guitarist, all this time with no new "Eddie" is like a car buff waiting for Detriot to re-open.

I don't think I could take yet another new singer.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

10.24.16 @ 01:22 AM
    Liked 851 Times in 526 Posts

I wouldn't mind Eddie doing a solo project not named Van Halen. At least we could hear some new music from the King of 10 Fingers and 6 Strings.

With all reunited parties going in different directions, wouldn't later this year be a perfect time to reunite. Nobody but nobody would see it coming.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reckless- I agree alot with what you stated. They are all on different levels or phases right now and it evolved.
    I'm not opposed to Ed doing something not called Van Halen, but why the hell not? Why would he want to change the name of the band? I REALLY see no association as to why it would change- I mean because of legacy's of past singers? Naah-
    I believe they are stating their own scripts right now- giving Van Halen all the more reason to keep his name. Hell if Ed writes it- it's Van Halen, and it should remain that way.
    The fans should know by now to "get over the singer issue". I mean- we've been reaming each other out over this singer crap for how long? I wish it was DLR permanantley. With the events going on this summer, that's all the reason in the world to keep the Van Halen name-

[ June 04, 2002, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Crystalfish ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

07.20.14 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO it's the only way left for Eddie to go. He doesn't appear to have buried the hatchet with Dave despite all the rumours going 'round last year, and with Sammy punching Ed's effigy onstage he's burnt his bridges (not that he's caring though.)
    The only options are either to get a 4th singer or go it alone. I'm one of those that thinks Ed should respect the Brand, so he should go solo. And after all, he can't argue with himself (can he?!?)
    Use my hand, I won't look!