Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    I have a response to some of the grumbling that I have heard over the years regarding what fans expect out of Eddie. It is amazes me what some fans are actually demanding of him. I am specifically referring to the demand that he be "pissed off, angry and drunk" if he puts out his new material. I do understand that some of the comments are made slightly tongue in cheek, but even the inference is appalling.

Let me explain by understanding that this is a complex issue. Fair Warning is my favorite album, as it is for many hard core Van Halen fans and it is undeniable the tension that was going on during that time between Eddie and Dave. But a lot of those songs had their beginnings as piano songs far before the year they recorded Fair Warning. However, Ed's solos on FW are incredibly aggressive and angry and to this day still raise the hair on my back. I think it is fair to say that you can attribute the aggressiveness in those solos directly to the tension between him and Dave.

But moving forward, how would you like to go into work everyday knowing that you were going to have to be pissed off and angry all day? "Yeah Ed, let's bring in Dave, he'll make your life miserable, you'll make his life miserable, but at least we'll have some aggressive tunes just like in the Fair Warning days!" Sorry, I don't buy it. I don't think it is a formula that can be repeated. Fair Warning will never be made again and thinking that a 2003-04 attempt with Dave and Eddie will automatically produce that is wishful thinking at best.

Now, this is my opinion, but I don't want another Fair Warning. They already made that album and I still crank it up to this day. Part of what attracted me to Van Halen was its innovation. Innovation does not try to repeat the past (20 years ago past). I personally miss Eddie and old Van Halen, but I also miss that girl with the huge tits and washboard abs that I dated in college. But, if I was with her now I would be holding a chawawa in my hand shopping at the Pottery Barn with a cafe latte in my other hand. Fuck that shit, some stuff is best left in the past! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] In the past, it was all great memories, but a realistic future would look much different. Dave and Eddie could never make Fair Warning again, ever. Time for them both to move on...to suing each other broke. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But moving forward, how would you like to go into work everyday knowing that you were going to have to be pissed off and angry all day? "Yeah Ed, let's bring in Dave, he'll make your life miserable, you'll make his life miserable, but at least we'll have some aggressive tunes just like in the Fair Warning days!"

[/QB]
    Some people work better when they can get their anger involved with the task at hand. Of course the old stuff can't be recreated because it springs ultimately from a lifestyle...a young man's lifestyle, that these guys can no longer tolerate. As far as Ed's comfort in a new project, why should he have harmony and get filthy rich at the same time? All of us trade convenience, peace and tasks for money. I really like Ed and the idea of VH but I am not ready to consider them gods.
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

some good points there...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can old VH be created again? Yes....go see the Atomic Punks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] and that's not a joke!
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

5150, 1984, OU812, VH II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, The Inside, A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wasn't 1981 also the same year Ed and Val got married? Dave was probably just mad because Ed chose to marry Val instead of him

So true about the Punks!
    Know Ralph<br />Know Van Halen<br /><br />No Ralph<br />No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

I can't believe that every single day that two people are together, they're going to make each other miserable. During the creative process, there's inevitably going to be a bumping of heads and compromise is in order to achieve the best result. Shit, that goes on in my house all the time and I've been married for 17 years! The idea that the band members fail to realize (and this goes for many bands) is that just like any relationship, you're going to have to compromise for the good of the whole.

I totally understand Edward's previous statement about Dave sucking the life out of him. My brother does that to me. Do I hang out with my brother all the time? No, but we're family so you put up with certain things, go in and do your family thing when you have to, make it work, and in the end, it's not so bad. I also understand that Edward, as an alcoholic, has major issues with control, and it may be that he feels threatened when he has to give up the least bit of control when he's not drinking. Now, I do not want Edward to risk life and limb to reunite with David Lee Roth, but I have to say that if this is the case, he's never going to be happy with anybody professionally or personally.

I believe that Edward and the remaining members of Van Halen have the talent to create some awesome music as Van Halen. I didn't think III was so awful. No, I don't listen to it as much as some of the others, but I also haven't listened to OU812 or 5150 in quite awhile either.

I guess what I'm blabbing about is the bigger picture here. There's a pattern of behavior and combined with intolerance, it will be impossible to create any Van Halen, never mind the old one.
    Could this be magic?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, 5150 & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street & "5150"
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Roth is an ass, and he is suing VH now. I think it might be close to impossible for a recreation with him. He's a joke. It would be cool to see Dave and VH together, but, if someone was suing me- it would be hard to care much to hang around them. I think Sammy is the best bet for VH. He IS less hassle.
    "I'm still 16 inside. I still have that passion, and any true musician doesn't do it for any other reason than passion. My motivation has never been financial. Music is what I do. It's the only thing I know how to do." -EVH

"Marriage has 3 rings. The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering"-DLR

"I believe that every one on this planet is born with a gift, and I was just lucky enough to find mine. So I'm very blessed, and very grateful."-EVH

Tequila~The drink of champions

http://www.myspace.com/tequilatemptress

Charitable Donations for the Myelin Project

http://www.networkforgood.org/pca/Pe...x?pcaid=104318

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

11.03.15 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vh past is something to remember but the vh future is something not to think about. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by z28girl:
    I can't believe that every single day that two people are together, they're going to make each other miserable. During the creative process, there's inevitably going to be a bumping of heads and compromise is in order to achieve the best result. Shit, that goes on in my house all the time and I've been married for 17 years! The idea that the band members fail to realize (and this goes for many bands) is that just like any relationship, you're going to have to compromise for the good of the whole.

I totally understand Edward's previous statement about Dave sucking the life out of him. My brother does that to me. Do I hang out with my brother all the time? No, but we're family so you put up with certain things, go in and do your family thing when you have to, make it work, and in the end, it's not so bad. I also understand that Edward, as an alcoholic, has major issues with control, and it may be that he feels threatened when he has to give up the least bit of control when he's not drinking. Now, I do not want Edward to risk life and limb to reunite with David Lee Roth, but I have to say that if this is the case, he's never going to be happy with anybody professionally or personally.

Z28, you make a good point that it wouldn't necessarily be 24-7 Dave and Eddie hating the shit out of everything. But, it does look like they tried another go at making music together and it looks like it failed. We only have speculation as to what happened and why, but I think safe bets would say that these two guys don't really like each other very well.

I think the family analogy is a bit of a stretch, because Dave and Eddie are not family. If Ed was having this conflict with Alex, I think your analysis would hold perfectly. But, not only are Eddie and Dave not family, I don't really think they were even very great friends. There are plenty of people in my life that I have chosen to stay away from once I got to know them. And it was to the benefit of my mental health (and probably their's).

Eddie's quote about not wanting to "relive the past" is very practical. Old Van Halen really is becoming quite timeless (I have reasons for stating this, but I won't detail it here), but I don't think that any of the members of VH would be satisfied with them trying to create new-old it in the present. New VH will always be judged by the past and if they tried to do the same thing, I just don't see the same results happening. I think they all have to move forward...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone expecting to hear another Fair Warning is never going to get what they want. It'll never be the early '80s again, and Ed and Dave will never work together again.

I suppose what I'd like to hear from Eddie is for him to be hungry again and to feel like he has something to prove again. When you're at the top of the heap too long and everybody loves you too long you get complacent and start to go through the motions of playing, not actually playing. What Eddie needs is a reason to think he needs to put 100% back into the job.

Hell, maybe being out of the public eye so friggin long will make him feel like he needs to prove to everybody VH was more than a decade-long fad.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:

I suppose what I'd like to hear from Eddie is for him to be hungry again and to feel like he has something to prove again.
    As many problems as there were with III, I feel that on this album, Eddie was very hungry. He was hungry enough to write music that he wanted but got shitted on for doing it. It's basically a lose-lose situation for him. If he reunites he's selling out (which I agree) but if he does his own thing he's an angry selfish dick. I don't get it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree Eddie needs to be a little hungry.
    He needs to stay away from being a commerical Rock band and create some great music.
    Try to get away from making a #1 radio friendly song and make some raw heavy guitar driven music.

Fair Warning was a great album without any commerical success.
    We need another Fair Warning.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

5150, 1984, OU812, VH II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, The Inside, A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Needs to get away from being a commercial rock band? Van Halen has been a commercial rock band since day one. Their least musically commercial album was III and only 500,000 fan bought it and as you know that doesn't sit well with Mr Record Man when 98% of your catalog is over the 2 mil mark even though I doubt VH cost WB anything in recording monies with Ed doing it all in house since 1984 with the exception of producer points of course
    Know Ralph<br />Know Van Halen<br /><br />No Ralph<br />No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

if eddie would just release the jam sessions he has with alex and mike, i'd be happy, wouldn't you?
    or somehow make it available on a website or something.
    i'll take vh3 over no vh everyday of the week.
    is there anyone here who wouldn't?
    doesn't eddie ever read this stuff?
    what the hell are they waiting for?
    there comes a point in everything where the inertia and circumstances become an obstacle that cannot be overcome. it's called obselescence.
    personally, i'll always buy whatever eddie releases,whenever. but, unfortunately, as a whole, vh is headed where none of us wants them to go-obselescence
    dont they know this?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Hell, maybe being out of the public eye so friggin long will make him feel like he needs to prove to everybody VH was more than a decade-long fad.
    That's what I'm banking on.

However I think he has more of an urge to solidify himself as a composer/solo musician both to his peers and the suits within the industry, and I'm not sure to what extent it matters to him, but to us the fans as well.

I think after that he may get the bug to prove his band as the timeless unit it is. And if he feels that album is worth it, then we'll see a tour. But I think he needs to live in composer/solo EVH to come home the right way on his own terms.

Just my call. Take it for what it's worth.

Peace,
    TD

PS sorry if I was too off topic

[ February 08, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Tonedaddy ]
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.