all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

09.30.16 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 452 Times in 211 Posts

From Rock Daily:

And the Daly Show Will Rock . . .
    If you didn't get a chance to see David Lee Roth on tour this past summer, check the boob tube on Friday night. That's when Diamond Dave will hit NBC's Last Call With Carson Daly. Meanwhile, Roth, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Billy Squier, Joan Jett, Meat Loaf, Quiet Riot and others will perform at the Rocktoberfest festival Oct. 19 in Polk City, Fla.
    NBC.com -- Last Call With Carson Daly

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you the 2002 Rocktoberfest "has been" show!
    Good for Dave, at least he is still trying to ride the wave.

[ September 13, 2002, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 18 Posts

I guess at least he is still out there giving the fans some love.
    Aint life grand!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i am just happy to see Dave out performing and staying in the music scene... much better than staying silent and outta' the loop for years at a time - even if he is a "has been"

%#$^#$&#$%!!!!
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 04:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Do you call all 48-year olds who show up for work a bunch of has-beens?
    Could this be magic?

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by z28girl:
    Do you call all 48-year olds who show up for work a bunch of has-beens?
    No I call a person who still acts like he is on top of the rock world after 18 years when in reality, about 1/3 or less of the people that listened to him back them really give a rat's ass about him anymore. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Ooooh, them's fightin words!

So I guess Dave is supposed to walk around with his shoulders slumped down like Eyor. Thanks for noticing me.
    Could this be magic?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I would rather be a "has been" with the track record that Dave has, than to be any of the new so called rock stars of the present. Rock and Roll is basically on life support right now because there is so little talent on the current roster to hold the public's interest. The days of the cool rock bands with the charismatic front man, and the cool guitar player ala Eddie, playing the smokin leads, are gone. So thank goodness for the so-called has beens that are still out there giving it their all in hopes of rock and roll shifting back to the way that it use to be. Peace.......
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave is NOT a has-been. If you call Dave a has-been, then you should call Sammy a has-been as well. Come to think of it, Paul Mcartny hasn't had a hit in 20 years, is he a has-been? It's been about 300 years since Mozart's last big hit. Is he a has-been?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No I call a person who still acts like he is on top of the rock world after 18 years when in reality, about 1/3 or less of the people that listened to him back then really give a rat's ass about him anymore.
    geez, get a clue man... you anti-roth-ites need your own message board or something...

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

No, I am glad is is out there playing, don't get me wrong. But to pretend like he is still relevant is his act that I have grown tired of.
    I like Dave, he is a witty man. But he needs some new phrases.
    I don't care for his voice of 2002, and think that Sammy can still blow him away vocally.
    What I liked most about Sam in VH was that he never tried to be like Dave. He just stays within himself.
    If VH got someone else in 1985, and all the Dave cloones running around back then, they wouldn't have had near the success they had with Sammy because they became a much different band.
    I like to compare it to a stick in the ground, its the same thing day after day, just a stick in the ground.
    But Van Hagar was a tree, that had alot of branches and each year it sprouted new and different leaves on it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    No, I am glad is is out there playing, don't get me wrong. But to pretend like he is still relevant is his act that I have grown tired of.
    I like Dave, he is a witty man. But he needs some new phrases.
    I don't care for his voice of 2002, and think that Sammy can still blow him away vocally.
    What I liked most about Sam in VH was that he never tried to be like Dave. He just stays within himself.
    If VH got someone else in 1985, and all the Dave cloones running around back then, they wouldn't have had near the success they had with Sammy because they became a much different band.
    I like to compare it to a stick in the ground, its the same thing day after day, just a stick in the ground.
    But Van Hagar was a tree, that had alot of branches and each year it sprouted new and different leaves on it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I never expected nor wanted Sammy to try and imitate Dave. He couldn't anyway, but to completely ignore the Van Halen catalog prior to his joining the band is not right. What makes I Can't Drive 55 better than anything Van Halen wrote? It isn't and never will be, yet it's perfectly okay for Sammy to trot it out in every show, but refuse to sing I'm the One, Unchained, Sinner's Swing, House of Pain or any of the other truly great songs that define Van Halen and that we as fans want to hear live and many have never had the opportunity to (until Gary).
    Could this be magic?

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Yo dude, looks as if your tree has withered and died. I guess VHIII was just the dead leaves in the yard.

Ever see AC/DC? Well I have and guess what? its the same stick in the mud show every time. THANK GOD. And if they were in town tonight my stick in the mud ass would be there.

What the world needs now is ass kickin in your face Rock n Roll.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

eddymon- i am really trying to not bash you - it is my vhforums resolution... but if you are concerned with what is "relevant" - then why are you posting on a VH board? VH has been irrelevant to mainstream music since... what, balance? that was 95, right? 7 years? don't dog dave by saying he isn't relevant... because i don't think sammy or VH has had any direct influence on linkin' park, P.O.D., disturbed or any other "relevant" modern, maintream metal or rock either...

and for the record- i think most of the "relevant" music these days sucks... that is why i am hoping VH actually wakes up some day and shows mainstream music how to have fun again and be innovative with metal and rock...

you're definitely entitled to your opinion... but when you make remarks about dave being a "has-been" and not "relevant" - i can't help but think you are just stirring the pot...

trying not to bash- but it isn't easy... peace (or at least as much peace as possible for here )

[ September 13, 2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: 55starfire ]

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

09.29.16 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1,338 Times in 441 Posts

Premium Member
    Relevant isn't always a good thing.

VH still has their fans.

Allan Holdsworth is only relevant to those who seek out his incredible music, he isn't and never was popular, yet for those "in the know" he is very much "relevant".

In a way its fine with me that VH is no longer relevant in music, if thats the case.

Who cares what others think, we know just how great they are at making music.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Let me clarify "relevant" for a second.
    I meant it as Dave still tries to be Dave of 1984 when we all know he isn't the same both vocally and in popularity. Dave just needs to evolve a little more.
    I totally agree about today's music. About 93% of it sucks and is nothing more than a watered down version of what we grew up on.
    Yes I have seen AC/DC 5 times and it is the same show each and every tour. But I also haven't seen them is many years for that matter.
    I understand that If VH toured with Dave people would come and see it. But how many tours would that last?
    If VH tours with Sammy, they too would sell out arenas once again. But the general music buying audience would likely buy a Van Hagar album over a Van Roth album. Why?
    Because a great deal of VH fans from 1978-1984 are in their late 30's to 40's now and just don't crank up their stereos like they used to and are now listening to "modern pop" acts like U2 and Barrenaked Ladies and Sheryl Crow while taking their kids to soccer practice.

While the post 5150 fans still relate more to Sammy and the fact that he has maintained a status in the rock and roll community even though its been in a more diminished role. But still got radio play and such since he left VH. Plus he does seem more in touch with his fans than Dave is. Which is big in this day and age of the internet and communications. Sam adjusted, Dave, and the brothers haven't.

I loved Dave in his VH years and I still crank up each of their albums and I'm 33 years old. My almost 3 year old son loves to put any of the videos in the VCR and he really dids JUMP, PANAMA, and HUMANS BEING.

I do agree about Sammy should play more classic VH live.
    I hope that if he returns he does and even plays 1 or 2 songs from VH3.
    History should never be ignored, especially if its great history. [img]smile.gif[/img]