Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

In an era where N'stinc & Titney Spears rules the airwaves, and rock being virtually ignored by MTV & radio......AND considering Van Halen no longer has a label (most "independent" or band sponsored labels equals "no record sales"), what do you think are the chances that Van Halen will ever be popular again????

For arguement sake, let's say "popular" means Platinum selling artist capable of selling 18,000 seats a night.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen with either Dave or Sammy, will have no problem returning to glory for one simple reason everybody forgets about...

Unlike many other bands these guys can actually fill an entire CD with outstanding music. If the music is there, everything else just falls into place.

Don't forget that Eddie Van Halen is a very unusual musician. He is a master is his own class. The number of musicians with his almost unexplainable talent in the last 100 years can be counted on 1 hand.

He is incredible & nobody will ever pocess the "types" of talents he has. He is just a channel for an endless stream of music.

VH will return, it's time to party.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I imagine a new album would get some airplay on Classic Rock format radio stations, probably go platinum and only matter to die hard fans. It's not going to sell or be as popular as 1984 or 5150. It's a different world now. And hell, if they do it with a fourth singer I imagine it wouldn't even do as well as VHIII.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fourth singer or not- it will rock

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

As long as they reunite with Dave or Sam, their chances are 100%.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

van halen will knock all those so called artist right off the charts and vh will be on top with no problem.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Too many egos + too many lawyers + a few hot tempers = 1 album and/or 1 tour, IF we're lucky.

That's it.

And even that is stretching it.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen's best window of opportunity was 2 years ago. Unfortunately, they don't have momentum on their side. Still, I haven't a doubt in my mind that if they reconvene with Dave or (to a lessor extent) with Sammy, put out a killer album and tour to promote it, they can become huge again. Sadly, record sales are the sole marker of success in the music industry, so any reunion album will have to be succesful commercially in additon to pleasing core fans.If this doesn't happen I don't think the youth oriented music industry will give the guys' another chance. The question is, does the band have enough of a built-in fan base to support a 3 or 4 million selling album. If not, they'll have to appeal to people who aren't necessarily fans but might buy a Van Halen album based on whatever the musical flavor of the day is. Yeah! they can be sucessful but something better happen soon 'cause although I hate sayin' it, Van Halen isn't exactly lighting up the sky, right now!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

If they can secure another major label deal which is to the liking of the main interested parties, e.g. Ed, Al and/or Sam/Dave - then I think they certainly have somewhat more than a fair chance, although not a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination. Indie or self-sponsored label, I think their chances drop considerably.

[ August 02, 2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Pat ]
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Also, how about a really clever manager, someone like Miles Copeland for instance.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

When a band comes back big it's usually because it appeals to young people. With Van Hagar the power ballads Love Come Walking In - Dreams etc... were perfect to appeal to a new audience.
    I don't know what the younger crowd will go for, but the members of VH are very creative and I wouldn't count them out of anything.

I'm not saying they should intentionally try and appeal to the young audience, but you never know what people will like.
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What about staying as an independent group, selling cds online, & at the shows? Sure, there would be a major loss of distribution and marketing, but they could still make money without having to go through all the hoops the record companies put up. Doing the independent thing would require more work by the band, but they still have a large following and are continually played on classic rock format stations throughout the U.S. Why give the big labels anything when they can make just as much by selling the cds themselves? Add to that the money brought in from touring and merchandise sales and they are sitting on a goldmine with the right people in charge. They don't have to sell millions of cds to make the same amount of money.
    Opporknockity Tunes Only Once.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are three words for their comeback success!!!

DAVID LEE ROTH...

end of story

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

Opporknockity...I respect your opinion & I'm not trying to argue, but I don't think what you proposed would be very realistic.

Marketing a CD is what drives virtually everything. There are exceptions, but typically, if a CD isn't promoted by a major label, record sales diminish, radio stations don't play the songs, and the general public loses interest.

Look at David Lee Roth's last album, it sold something like 20,000 copies.....and it was his BEST album since Eat'em & Smile. But, without major industry support, no one knew about it, and it was difficult to find (I had to drive to at least 6 different music chains to find it).

Look at Motley Crue. Once, a MAJOR band in the U.S. When they left Elektra and started their own record label (Motley Records), they couldn't crack the Billboard top 40 and had to perform in much smaller venues.

Major record labels have the money to do all of the following: advertise the album, distribute the album, manufacture the album, and convince local radio stations to add it to their airplay rotation. And since the record labels invest the money into hiring "A-list" producers (albeit with the artist's concent), and to hire the best engineers, the music that is produced is typically better than on independent record labels. Finally, it is the record labels that front the money to support a tour. Record labels realize that by getting the band to perform in front of the people, tends to increase record sales.

A band alone cannot perform all of the tasks efficiently on their own. They may be able to do so on a limited basis, but I'd have to say that generally speaking, the product suffers, the band makes considerably less money, and the fan-base diminishes. Just my thoughts on your well written post.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    There are three words for their comeback success!!!

DAVID LEE ROTH...

end of story
    Damn right!!!!
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.