Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the answer for Van Halen. I do. I know what would work. Just do what Santana did--an album of new material with guest vocalists. You get Dave back for one. You get Sammy back for one. You get Gary back for one. And then...Rob Halford. Dave Grohl. Fred Durst. Dexter Holland. James Hetfield. Be honest here: Who would not pay good money to hear Robert Plant front Van Halen, if only for one song?

[ December 21, 2001 at 11:49 AM: Message edited by: DanElektro ]</p>
    "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time." LOL.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate the entire idea.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is a total lack of new material better?

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

That would be alright, anything is better than VH doing nothing, which is what they are doing right now.

This topic is more suited to Opinions, i'm moving it there. [img]graemlins/santa.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH can't really have that kind of project right now. There is no way to market the thing right now. They need to release an album and tour as a band. If they were to do that and have it go off well, then a multi-singer project could be a possibility. They have been dead to the world for too long and its still too close on the heels of "Santana-Supernatural" for this to work out well. IMO of course.
    TD
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YankeeRose:

This topic is more suited to Opinions, i'm moving it there. [img]graemlins/santa.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

Oops, thanks. Newbie mistakes.

I would agree that the band needs to have an identity as a unit, and that a project like this could be counterproductive. But at the same time, it's splashy, would get the band attention, and would get a lot of new ears tuned in to VH in the same way that Matchbox 20 people got turned on to Santana's album. Limp Bizkit fans will want to hear Fred Durst give it a shot, etc.

It could also be the ultimate audition tape for a new lead singer...

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    If they would do something like this, I think it would be kool, just dont call it Van Halen. It would be a solo Ed project, with his brother and Mike.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DanElektro:
    Is a total lack of new material better?<hr></blockquote>

I think how a person views 3 will determine their answer to that.

To my way of thinking, the biggest problem with Gary is that he wasn't allowed to be himself on 3. It takes time for a singer and a band to gel together. I'm afraid that we'd get an album much like 3 in that no one likes the situation surrounding it, only the album would be all over the place in terms of feel.

I'd rather having nothing than something that doesn't live up to the other albums. While I've gotten used to associating Van Halen with disappointment, I don't want to see them continue to wander. They need to find a direction.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This subject has been exhausted to death both here and at the Pasture Dump.....

It's as simple as this:

Van HALEN was a band

Van Hagar was a band

Van Danniels, though a disjointed incoherent mess was still ostensibly, the work of a band more or less.

Santana used to be a band, in the Woodstock era. But since Neal Schon & Greg Rolie spun off into Journey, and Leon Patillo met JC, Santana has had a higher turnover rate than Mickey D's. It is not a "band" by any stretch of the imagination.

A solo artist such as Carlos Santana can have anyone play on his albums that he chooses. And since Santana does not sing, the guests on his solo album are likely to be vocalists more often than not.

A band is identified by the fact that each of the members has certain duties (vocalist, guitarist, bass player, drummer in most cases) which are consistent from album to album. Certainly exceptions can occur without killing the band, but they are in the minority. For example, "Happy" by the Rolling Stones is a great song which happens to be sung by Keith Richards. But Mick Jagger is the band's singer. Conversely, it's Jagger who plays the main rhythm guitar track on the song "Sway", and though it's a damn great song, Keith isn't in danger of losing his job.

Rob Thomas might have sang "Smooth", but would you want him to sing "Black Magic Woman"?

Eddie did a song with Roger Waters last year. It was good, but it was far closer to Pink Floyd than it was Van Halen. Would you want to hear Waters singing "Unchained"???

If Eddie wants to make a solo album, as Santana did, and as Tony Iommi recently did, he's as welcome to write and play with whomever he chooses. But if it is going to be released as a band album under the name of Van Halen, then it needs to be just that, the BAND.... Dave, Eddie, Mikey, and Alex.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DanElektro:

Limp Bizkit fans will want to hear Fred Durst give it a shot, etc.

If Eddie makes an album with that fucking piece of non talented shit, I will personally kick him in his good hip
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This dead horse is still being beaten?

The consensus has always been no. We want Van Halen, not Van Karaoke.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

You know, I do appreciate the Dome folk coming here, but I do wish they'd take a look around at the various forums and familiarise themselves with the flow of the place before starting the same topics that we've seen over and over (even further down this page: My solution to the VH singer conundrum) - I mentioned it a long time ago, but I wish this board came with a feature that would allow Brett or one of the mods to merge threads of a similar nature and reduce some of the clutter that forms when people start fifteen threads about the same thing, whether it's about how Van Halen should do a "Santana-Supernaturalesque" album (they shouldn't) or an individual thread for each event that takes place involving Major League Baseball or the NFL. It's not quantity people, it's quality we're after!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FORD:

Rob Thomas might have sang "Smooth", but would you want him to sing "Black Magic Woman"?

Eddie did a song with Roger Waters last year. It was good, but it was far closer to Pink Floyd than it was Van Halen. Would you want to hear Waters singing "Unchained"???
    <hr></blockquote>

No, I was suggesting not a greatest hits repackaging but new material. I never said anything about hearing new singers cover old songs. That's what the original band's catalog is for. But you do make some really good points. Again, I just bring it up for discussion.

Along the same lines, I don't like Fred Durst either. Just a thought.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize this same exact topic had been brought up before, so I apologize. You can delete or merge the thread. Or, you know, you can just continue talking to yourselves and never have new users post. I don't know what a Dome folk is, and despite having been a fan for years, aside from contributing one or two things to VHND, I have never posted to any VH fan board before. I was invited here so I showed up and attempted to contribute.

So...here's hoping the Dave reunion is true, and I'll be the guy in front of you in line when the next album comes out. Cya.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DanElektro:

No, I was suggesting not a greatest hits repackaging but new material. I never said anything about hearing new singers cover old songs. That's what the original band's catalog is for. But you do make some really good points. Again, I just bring it up for discussion.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize this same exact topic had been brought up before, so I apologize. You can delete or merge the thread. Or, you know, you can just continue talking to yourselves and never have new users post. I don't know what a Dome folk is, and despite having been a fan for years, aside from contributing one or two things to VHND, I have never posted to any VH fan board before. I was invited here so I showed up and attempted to contribute.

So...here's hoping the Dave reunion is true, and I'll be the guy in front of you in line when the next album comes out. Cya.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Hey Dan, don't worry about this topic being posted before.

There isn't one topic on VH that hasn't been posted before that I can think of LOL!

It is a good idea, I would like to see singers like Jack Blades, Geoff Tate and David Coverdale sing on an album like that. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/santa.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DanElektro:

Bands, by definition, tour. If Eddie was to drag 12 different singers out on the road, who would sing what? This is why the Santana concept is unworkable with an actual band.

OK, but why would you want to hear Eddie with a "singer" (using the term very loosely) you don't like? Pandering to the rap and boyband audience isn't going to save Eddie's career at this point. He already painted himself into that corner with 11 years of top 40 cheese ballads. The only way out of that is a balls out full throttle Van HALEN album in the vein of the first 4.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize this same exact topic had been brought up before, so I apologize.

Apology accepted.

You can delete or merge the thread. Or, you know, you can just continue talking to yourselves and never have new users post. I don't know what a Dome folk is

Lucky you! You haven't missed much, believe me.

and despite having been a fan for years, aside from contributing one or two things to VHND, I have never posted to any VH fan board before. I was invited here so I showed up and attempted to contribute.

when this album finally comes out, I might actually do the 12:01 AM Tuesday thing at some late night record store. I think 17 years since the last album justifies that....
    Eat Us And Smile