Favorite VH Album

DLR era albums
    Favorite VH Song

DLR era songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's right.

Every morning when Sammy Hagar rolls his fat ass out of the fart sack, he should first look up and thank God, and then he should look up again, and thank David Lee Roth, the rock and roll God. If it weren't for David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar wouldn't have all he has today. He wouldn't have Cabo. He wouldn't have that crappy tequila. He wouldn't have the multiple houses. He wouldn't have the sports cars. He wouldn't have a wife half his age. He wouldn't have ANYTHING.

Let's analyze this theory a little more closely.

In 1979, when David Lee Roth and Van HALEN were embarking on their first headlining WORLD TOUR, Sammy was opening for Boston in support of his hit album, "Street Machine". Oh wait, did I say hit album? Does anybody even remember this album? Do any of you so called Sammy/Van Hagar fans remember this slab of vinyl? Has it sold more than 50,000, to this day?

Let's move on to 1980. Van HALEN once again embarks on a headlining WORLD TOUR, in support of the highly successful "Women and Children First" album. Sammy releases the album "Danger Zone". Wow, now that's another memorable release from the self proclaimed "Red Rocker". Oh wait, there's more. In 1980 Sammy also released two other albums. (Compilations I might add) "Turn up the Music", and "Red Hot-Live". Both of the compilations, along with "Danger Zone", did about NOTHING to further Sammy's career. In fact, I'll check into it further, but I highly doubt all three of these pieces of crap together, sold half as much as "Women and Children First". Sammy was really setting the music business on it's ear now.

1981. Van HALEN releases the GREAT "Fair Warning" album, and once again embarks on a WORLD TOUR. By now, Van HALEN are the kings of rock and roll. And the biggest and baddest live band in the world. NOBODY can stack up to these guys at this point. So, what's Sammy doing about this time? He's releasing "Standing Hampton". His most successful endeavor yet. He's still not in the same league as Van HALEN, but he did have moderate success with this album.

1982. Van HALEN has now been touring basically non-stop since 1978. They are the biggest band in the world. Confirmation of this fact comes in the form of an invitation to HEADLINE the US Festival, for a record 1.5 MILLION dollars. Was Sammy Hagar even invited to this gig? Oh yeah, and Van HALEN also released the hit album "Diver Down" during this period. What was Sammy doing in 1982? Well, he released "Three Lock Box", and ANOTHER compilation album, "Rematch and More". "Three Lock Box" had very limited success. Sam is still NOT a rock star.

1984. After more than 5 years of constant touring, and selling millions and millions of albums, Van HALEN releases 1984. The album that would cement them into the history books. How could Van HALEN be anymore successful than they had been previously? Well, they were. This album spread like wild fire. And, as they had done previously, they embarked on a MASSIVE tour in support of this great album. What was Sam doing in 1984? He released his most critically acclaimed album to date, "VOA". The single "I Can't Drive 55" was in heavy rotation on radio stations across the country. Sammy even did a fairly decent sized tour in support of this album. He also had some good success hooking up with Neil Schon for the HSAS album, "Through the Fire". None of this of course, came close to the kind of success David Lee Roth and Van HALEN were experiencing, but Sam can at least claim to have an audience now.

This brings us to 1985, and the very reason why Sammy Hagar should thank David Lee Roth every morning when he gets up. Dave decides to leave Van Halen in 1985, and Sammy Hagar is chosen as his replacement. (By an auto mechanic) If Dave had not left the band, and opened the door for Sammy Hagar, Sammy wouldn't be able to afford to release the crappy albums he is releasing today. If Diamond Dave hadn't left Van Halen, Sammy Hagar would not have all that he has today. He OWES David Lee Roth for saving his career. Sammy Hagar never had the kind of success he had with Van Hagar, before Van Hagar, and he hasn't had that kind of success since. Sammy plain and simple, rode David Lee Roth's coattails to new heights. Dave extended Sammy's career by a lot of years.

While we are on the subject of Sammy, for someone who hates "Best Of" albums, he sure has released a lot of them. I can count at least 5 compilation/Best Of, type albums Sammy has released. Wasn't he the guy that left Van Hagar because he didn't believe in Best Of albums? This is a guy that obviously has a distorted vision of reality.

The cold hard facts are this, David Lee Roth is a ROCKSTAR! Sammy is once again riding on Dave's coattails

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Intelligent post. This has NEVER been discussed here.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:26 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

This should be another "friendly" discussion amongst fans. Moving to Opinions for more name-calling.

BTW, I guess some of you are really bored, now pasting posts from the Army over here. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amen brother! Sam should have mas gratitude towards the man. Yareeba!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's some DLR history for you.

1985: Dave leaves VH to do Beach Boys cover tunes...'this is ok, he thinks.'

1986: Dave releases EEAS and goes 'cool!'

1988: Dave releases Skyscraper and says, 'shit!'

1991: Dave releases ALAE and and says, 'shit!'

1994: Dave releases YFLM and says, 'shit!'

Meanwhile, his former mates with Sammy Hagar at the helm go onto release consecutive #1 records with successful tours without him.

1996: Sam is unceremoniously booted from the band and Dave goes, 'shit, this is my chance baby!'

1997: Dave receives charity work courtesy of Ed and the boys and says, 'I'm back' only to follow with, 'shit, I'm out again.'

1998: Dave releases the DLR Band cd and says, 'shit!'

1999-PRESENT: Dave gets another shot at his former job only to go, 'shit, I blew it again,' receives a leg up from Sammy Hagar to do the joint tour, gets some notoriety from people other than those that frequent boards such as this, and is still saying 'shit, why did I ever leave.'

Revisionist history is just that, sparky! We can each paint it how we want it to be but in the end it's just one person's opinion. Your's is so ridiculously absurd, though, I felt compelled to respond.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I always wondered where Sam would be IF he had not joined VH in '85.

Hmmmm...maybe like Peter Frampton?

A washed up performer who's only claim to success is "Show Me the Way"?

I would picture Sammy playing "I Can't Drive 55" in clubs and some "Classic Rock" festivals where has-beens get together and just play their long forgotten hits.

Dave and VH created a huge legacy and a huge following.

Sam was lucky to be under the "VH umbrella".
    EUAS

www.rotharmy.com

*VV*
    ole No.1
    The finest.

"The Showstoppa!!"

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bill Nitz is either David Lee Roth or one of DLR’s boyfriends.

Anyway, the post has some valid points but for the most part it’s just a Sam bash.

Van Halen would have made a name for itself whether it was DLR or not from the beginning. Van Halen did not become all Dave until around Diver Down which was just around the same time that MTV began to take off. Once 1984 came out MTV pushed the band commercially with visuals.

Before then, I remember it was all about Eddie Van Halen being this great guitar player.

Sammy has always had a loyal following and if he sucked as bad as you say he did, then I can’t see why the record industry would want to release his music. Not to mention why would Eddie even want Sammy Hagar in his band if he sucked so bad considering that Van Halen was at their peak when Sammy joined.

I guess a fair assessment of this would be that DLR should also thank Eddie every day of his life because without Eddie Van Halen, Dave would have been nothing.
    What is understood, need not be discussed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, Vinnie, and Dave has just thrived outside of that umbrella, hasn't he?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:26 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Look you guys can beat each other up til the cows come home. Fact remains, VH had good success after Dave left, they did better than he did. It's not a bash on Dave, it's just facts with plenty of evidence, like record sales, tour figures, etc. You may not like Sam at all, but the fact is that VH was successful with him.

Of course Sam was protected by the VH umbrella, but so was DLR. Like I've been saying, the legitmacy of VH's music allowed Dave to do his thing. When you got Eddie Van Halen at the top of his game in 1981 churning out riffs like he did, how the fuck do you lose?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, Sammy should thank Eddie. Then Eddie should say...well, this is how it should go.

Sammy: "Eddie, thanks for giving me some of the best times of my life"

Eddie: "No problem Sam, sorry for being such an asshole. And thanks for continuing my dream, and helping us climb the charts to #1 with some of the best music Rock has ever heard.

Sammy: No problem Ed, pleasure was all mine.

Eddie: Hey Sam, i have about 3 albums worth of material. Wanna check it out?

Sammy: Sure Ed, let's see whatcha got.

Eddie: Al, click it.

Al: Click? I don't need no stinking click.

Sammy: Hit it!

And the dream lives on....

[ August 30, 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Balanced Rock ]
    The 'Foot has landed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Well put Blotcher & BalancedRock. Honestly Glenn, Why do you even let people like Bill on this board. People like him and that other scholar Rikk have nothing to offer, other than mindless rants. Name-calling is so productive. It seems as though that's all Roth fans have left. Pathetic!
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Despite the venom, Bill Nitz's post does have some valid points. The main one is: Dave quit Van Halen.
    Sammy would have been foolish to not take the job. It is fair to say that Sammy enjoyed the most success with Van Halen, as did Dave. Bill Nitz listed the various Van Halen and Sammy Hagar albums and tours and commented on how successful they were. He left out one detail: the first Montrose album. Back in 1973, before Dave was in Van Halen, Ted Templeman and Don Landee created a template with Montrose that they used again with Van Halen.The first Montrose album certainly wasn't as popular as VH I, but like it or not, Sammy was part of the band that Dave and company were modeled after. Dave followed in Sammy's footsteps.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Balanced Rock:

Sammy: "Eddie, thanks for giving me some of the best times of my life"

Eddie: "No problem Sam, sorry for being such an asshole. And thanks for continuing my dream, and helping us climb the charts to #1 with some of the best music Rock has ever heard.

Sammy: No problem Ed, pleasure was all mine.

Eddie: Hey Sam, i have about 3 albums worth of material. Wanna check it out?
    Sammy Yareeba! This is some kick ass shit Eddie. Let me throw down some lyrical ju-ju.
    "When the eagles land
    In Cabo Wabo
    On wings of a dove
    Flys Love, from above
    Wham,Bam,Shazaam, I'm your lover man
    through thick and thin, Love walks in
    the front door of the cantina of love
    Yareeba! 2 shots, 3 shots, 4 shots!"

Eddie Fuck, here we go again! Cut the tape.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Eddie, Alex, Mike, Dave, and Sammy should all thank each other for their successes. As Classic Van Halen or Van Hager (don't mind the names) was when they all had the most success in their careers. You can't deny that. Record sales and popularity will back that up.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Forgot to add man? of the people to that list. Seems to have forgotten some of Dave's Harvardesque lyrics.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!