Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lemme ask this: do people think (who really knows) it's been musical reasons or personal reasons that have prevented the band (with Dave or without) from getting it together the past couple of years?

And has it ever really been said by the band any true reasons Gary left? (besides the obvious record company pressure)
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Is it musical or personal? Damn that's a good question.

As soon as Dave released that statement about "Edward and I wrote hands fell off the clock music", the first thing that I wondered was this; if it was so good, why didn't they continue to work together? My first inclination was that obviously it may have been Dave's version of great music, but it wasn't Edwards'.

Having said that, I think the musical difference has a lot to do with the personal difference. Frankly, I have a suspicion that Eddie can't get over his problems with Dave, and uses the musical difference (or his own perception of one) as a handy excuse not to work with Dave.

I think Dave deserves a ton of the blame for the bad feelings, because I think the root of them is Dave leaving the band high and dry in 1985. But even with that said, I think Eddie's insecurity is the main thing keeping them apart.

As far as Sammy goes, that's all personal in my opinion. Eddie didn't like the lyrics to Amsterdam; so what, does he really think that Sammy loved every single guitar solo Eddie did? Eddie reminds of somebody who gets scammed by someone who tells him he can win $5 if he tears up one of his own $20 bills. Win the battle, lose the war, you know?

How's that for not answering the question?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, good answer.

Dave really did a dickish thing in 1985. He read and believed too much of what people were writing about him. Hell, lots of musical celebrities go through this. I'll even use this example:
    In 1968, The Doors were at their peak of popularity. The press was writing about Jim Morrison like some young Adonis or Alexander the Great. A couple of years went by, some legal troubles, and he was looking fatter, bearded...just not the same. They lost interest in him...treated him not like a symbol but more something to mock or even laugh at. In the end, the band realized that all they had was their music. And they produced two more albums (one in 1970 and one in 1971) that some call their best. That's it. They became music-makers because no one thought they were Gods anymore. And it worked. The music was extremely popular. Morrison then died, but it wasn't until years later that he became the legend he is today....
    My point is (sorry to ramble), the press get tired of sex symbols and quote-meisters and eventually mock them, but if the symbols in question still have good music to protect them, they come out okay. Dave was stupid to think that leaving the band and continuing the "I love Dave" trip on his own would work. He left the band because he wanted to be in the limelight, and being holed up in 5150 waiting for Eddie to get his act together (and off drugs, according to some sources) just wasn't something he was willing to give his partner of ten years.

Too bad. I can understand why Eddie finds it hard to shed the bad feelings. In a perfect world, they'd all be grown up about it and make an amazing record with a great producer. But they are free to live their lives as they see fit.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going to have to agree with Glenn. It's personal on both fronts.

With Dave, Eddie must feel like someone that was supposed to be close to him abandoned them because of greed. They were a band, and yes, they had issues, but Dave dropped them at the (then) height of their popularity because he felt he could do better on his own.

With Sammy, Eddie has to feel wronged. Whether his claim is valid or not, he obviously thinks Sammy was cheating the band in some way. You can especially tell it's personal on this front from the attacks covered with a thin viel of "musical differences." Sammy's lyrics suck. Sammy's work ethic sucks. That's not an example of musical differences, that's taking a shot at someone.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

I think it's both personal and musical. Yes, when they get together, great music comes out but maybe it's not the direction that Ed wants to take. As for the personal side, people change. What they liked about someone years ago, may annoy the crap out of them now. Unfortunately, we don't know how their relationship is. We can speculate and guess but only a few people know what is inside of their heads.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave...gotta be personal, guy is an idiot. Perhaps Eddie prefers to deal with adults and the mere fact Dave is still in the 2 year old mentality makes it rather difficult to carry out a musical, or any relationship.
    Life is something that happens when your planning something else.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but Eddie is the child. Recording two reunion songs with Dave when he's considering getting another singer? Was he really wishing for career suicide? Saying that all singers have an ego problem? He's fucked in the head. Dave at least has kept active. Eddie is the one who always blames the producers (Bruce Fairbairn, Andy Johns, Donn Landee) for past sound problems or band problems, blames managers for band fights, blames CD pressing plants for bad-sounding CD's (VH3), blames Sammy and Dave in the same year for not keeping the band together, blames the presence of the Titanic soundtrack for VH3 not charting better, etc. The guy is full of blame and has to get to the point where he realizes that he also has some control in his career. If he is the big boss man, why are so many things going wrong? Dave is a talented, hard-working man who's made some mistakes. He doesn't get along too well with Eddie. So what? I don't always get along with people I work with. That's life.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

How can anyone say Dave left Van Halen because he thought he could do better - were you there? Dave has said he left because he didn't agree with Edward's musical direction (and we certainly see evidence in that in the post-1984 releases now, don't we) and that Edward just didn't seem too interested in working at the time. Maybe Dave should've waited a little longer, but how long should he have been expected to wait? And how much would've changed? The bottom line is I feel Edward is the one that got full of himself - Dave was pretty much the way he always was. Edward seemed like such a fun-loving guy in the earlier days and I don't know if it was getting married or all those guitar magazine awards that made him think he was a "serious artiste", but it's been all downhill ever since...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree Billy007. I definitely agree.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna go a little outside of the choices of answers here and speculate that when the music started rolling well with Dave(as Eddie has already conceded in the Maximum Golf mag article)that Dave probably got his legal people involved because of his very public fistfuckiing by the VH bros. in 96.
    But I guess that does transcend "pesonal" as an answer,since it is probably Dave's belief that he can't trust Edward and Alex.
    Whatever the case may be,they have proven that they CAN work together again since the 96 fiasco.It is just unfortunate for all parties involved that the timetable seems to be lengthening.

Sidenote;I got my new Guitar Player Magazine today and there is THE BEST recent picture of Edward playing live from the VHIII tour in the PEAVEY add.
    It looks like someone computer imaged a picture from 1984 and stuck a Wolfgang in his hands instead of the 5150 Kramer.Badass!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Someone said once (I don't recall who) that Mick Taylor left the Rolling Stones because he really thought that the band was nearing their end. Which wouldn't have been too surprising given how out of it Keith Richards was in the 70's.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I think something similar happened with Van Halen. Eddie was in tough shape in 1985 because of his addictions, as was Alex, and my feeling is that Dave jumped ship because he believed that they weren't going to last much longer.

I have an interview on tape of Dave from 1991, and he admits that he was scared to death when he left the band. And I believe him. But I think that Dave felt that if nothing else, he could always count on himself not to get lost in a drug fog and to work hard. And with his high profile at the time, I think he thought it was probably his only chance to get out of VH with his own winning streak intact before they sank.

On a separate note, I don't think you can criticize Eddie for not staying the same, as Dave has done. Eddie has struggled with drug and alcohol addiction (inherited from his father), and the death of his father. Also, if I'm not mistaken Valerie had several miscarriages before they had Wolfgang. Take all that into account, how much of a surprise is it that Eddie isn't the same guy he was when he was 25?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Wow. I jumped in here kind of late, but thought it important to point out that this is one of the most intelligent and balanced discussions on this particular matter that you can find on the net. Great, articulate, and well founded posts by all involved. No immature fighting, great discussion, good read.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Seenbad.

To agree with what Glenn's saying, when I think about it, I don't think Dave was just out to get everything for himself when he left the band. I think that maybe he knew being in the band was detrimental to himself and Eddie. It seemed to be making Eddie unhappy, and Dave was unhappy watching his partner go further and further down the tubes.

Bottom line: Eddie has used the excuse that he wanted to take a year to do an album. Dave wanted to do an album much quicker than that or get the band's GREATEST HITS album out of the way. Now an album (even with a new singer) didn't take quite a year. But further than that, Dave was right anyway. The best thing the band could have done was to capitalize on the notoriety they had worked so hard to build up. They were huge. They were a household word in 1985. Doing another quick tour, appearing at LIVE AID, recording an album in much less than a year (because Dave knew he wouldn't be able to handle sitting in a studio with Ed for a year again)...this is what they should have been up to.

So no, you can't completely blame the guy. Unfortunately, it was obviously a bad career move for him. But I still think if he hadn't done it, the band would've broken up at some later point. And if the break-up happened in 1990, I doubt they could have successfully carried on with another singer.

Still, I wish Dave never left and he is the only real singer in VH for me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I agree about the fog of drugs affecting them.

I've seen a million VH1 behind the music when some guy comes on and says "nobody partied like______(insert band name ) but when(if?) there is ever a VH episode that same guy will come back on and say"sorry, but I meant to say NOBODY partied like Van Halen"

dave was flying high with his EP and videos and DaveTV and such and I'm sure that the brothers were a little jealous(which most musicans always have a grudge against the singer and the singer always wishes he could play like the musicians)

nothing wrong with Dave doing his EP at the time,,, didn't sound like VH and that's how he wanted it--more tounge and cheek than anything else)

yeah, VH were hurt by Dave leaving in 85 and were determined to show up Dave--got sammy(big at the time) and with the backing of WB and Sam's manager managed to stay in the limelight.

so did Dave for awhile too.. until Pete Angules moved on to the Black Crowes, big Ed Anderson took over, duped Dave, blah blah blah, you guys know all the rest

bottom line
    Dave needs VH
    VH needs Dave...

and it's burning all of them up..

sorry but you MUST reunite!
    just ask
    Fleetwood Mac
    Eagles
    Sabbath
    Kiss

and a slew of others

I think when the original VH gets in a room and jams like a band should then they all get off on it--mad or not... but when they sit down and discuss the next "stunt" then they run into problems...

but it would be cool to see them "parachute in" one more time!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

sorry but you MUST reunite!
    just ask
    Fleetwood Mac

Not sure they ever broke up again, but they aren't exactly releasing follow-up albums to that reunion, are they?

Eagles

That lasted, what, 30 minutes?

Sabbath

Purely for the $$$, and if Ozzy's solo work is any indication, Sabbath is done again.

Kiss

Ah, another $$$ instance. They can't even keep their drummer an entire tour.

Maybe these weren't good choices, hain. All these reunions amounted to one album and a tour or just a tour.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."