Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Burn out. Damn, but I just don't really care anymore. I used to sit and ponder, and try to think the situation through. We'd get clues, and I'd spend hours working with the puzzle. I haven't cared to do that in quite a while.

When and if they announce something, I think my reaction is going to be "about fucking time." And that's gonna be it. Until I've got an album in my hot little hands, VH is nothing. Screw'em! All of them!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think most of us care, but just not as much now. I think a lot of us just want something...anything.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Lately, it REALLY seems as if this is never going to end. I'm still interested to see how it all plays out, but I have to say my eagerness is pretty much on life support at this point.

It's lucky that VH have a large and varied catalogue of music, because more and more it seems like it may never get any larger.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

My interest was waneing a bit, but with all this new information and Dave out on tour, my interest is returning. Really, I think that it's just a matter of time until we get a new VH album in our hands. How much time is an all together different question, but I really think the ball will get rolling in the fall.
    "And now for the benediction..."
    - DLR (Blossom 5/29/02)

"It's a great day for Hockey."
    - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

yeah mike, it is tiring.

i was watching the bon jovi concert with my girlfriend the other night and we got to talking about van halen. she just looked at me and said, "you've been talking about them getting together again for the past two years, it's not gonna happen".

awhile ago, that woould bug me and i would back them up. i don't really care to anymore.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For me, at this point, the greatest interest has become the "rationalization" we'll eventually get that will explain what has been going on for the last eternity and a half. Just like a bad serial tv show, they have got to get to the final episode.

The use of the term 'soap opera' has probably never been more applicable.

There has been SO MUCH hype, so much hope, for such a long time, that eventually you just go numb to it all, bordering on apathy. Is there any POSSIBLE piece of news or an announcement that could come as such a surprise to REALLY make anyone's body hair stand on end? I think we've covered all the bases, but like in baseball, we're in the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, full count, and that last batter is on the verge of striking out. It's now become a matter of seeing how many men will be left on base after the next pitch.

If you wait too long to score, even your die-hard fans will leave the stadium early and beat some of the traffic home. Sure, they may tune into the game on the radio in the car, but there isn't enough hope in seeing a true miracle occur that's enough to keep them in your ballpark.

Of course, the Steelers had the Immaculate Reception in 1972; Mazeroski came from nowhere in the final game of the 1960 WOrld Series and hit THE home run. (sorry-Pittsburgh upbringing rearing its head now) But these moments are about as likely as hitting the lotto.

Van Halen, during this drought, had many avenues. If they weren't going to be musically active, it would have been the PERFECT time to actually hop their asses onto boards like these, maybe a chatroom here or there, and at least mingle with their sincerest of fans. Or give some interviews in magazines, on radio, on tv, whatever. I saw Nick Price toss a golf ball to a little kid during a tournament one day; while Nick hasn't been very successful of late, that kid is a fan for life. Price took a BRIEF moment to go a little bit out of his way for someone, and gestures like that are PERMANENT to the people who receive them. That is one positive aspect of fame-you can really make someone's day by simply acknowledging their existence. I met Jack Lambert when I was 5 years old, at the height of his career. He autographed a football for me (which I USED, duh!), but more importantly, he shook my hand, asked me my name, ADDRESSED me by it, smiled (a BIG deal coming from the scariest guy in the NFL at the time), and he thanked ME for coming to see him.

I will never forget that moment. Regardless of the Mr. Rogers bullshit, for one brief moment in time, I really felt that I was special; that I MATTERED to someone that everyone knew and admired.

But VH chose to do the opposite. They let us stew in our own seething, passionate hopes and wishes. They were aware of the rumors, and they let them spread. They know what goes on here; they should realize how much a difference a little personal effort on their part could have made to the fans. While we may represent a tiny fraction of their fan base (at this point, we may BE the fan base-who knows anymore?), getting something from them during this time would have settled us down, and we would have shared that feeling on an individual basis to all the other fans we know. Like the old Heather Locklear shampoo commercial: I'll tell 2 friends, and THEY'LL tell 2 friends, and so on, and so on.

Now, we sit here after all this time knowing essentially NOTHING we didn't know 2 years ago. By 'essentially', I am stripping down all the excessive concerns people may have, and am boiling it down to what really matters, the crux of the situation; the impetus for our initial meeting here: the MUSIC. Since we have none that we didn't have THREE years ago, interest dwindles.

They had their time off from music (in the public sense), and they could have become 'people' during that period. They could have initiated a very human grass-roots correspondence with people. From the amount of hero-worship that somehow manages to exist to this day, a few words, a 'hi, how are you, I'm Ed, I'm Al, I'm Mike' would really touch some people's hearts. Life can really suck ass at times, and a boost like that has a power like none other.

The band that I have raved about for more than half my life, (much to the dismay of friends and family) has finally become a big letdown. While I was always never under the impression that they were gods or anything, I used to like to think that at least they were people, human beings, with a little compassion, humility, and awareness of what their status means to so many. It seems I was wrong.

While I am not saying that they OWE us anything, I feel it would have been in EVERYONE'S best interest if they had made some effort to keep us, if not informed of what was going on, at least made to feel that we represent something a little more than "Record sales #'s 24,534,657...45,947,003...etc". They are people, and so are we.

Or so I once thought.

Now, I think we're looking for (and how I HATE this word) closure. Why have our concerns and questions and opinions, and even our $$ (phone bills, ISP charges, and even our time and efforts) been so forsaken? I try to put myself into their situation, and I consider how people on the outside must feel about the silence. The evil and cynical side of human nature might find it to be an interesting freak show for a while, almost laughable at first. But after years of it, all of those 'freaks' turn out to be people. We've had people get married, have children, get great jobs, get fired from their jobs, get sick, die, graduate from school, eat dinner, NOT eat dinner, etc etc etc during all this. In other words, life has gone on. But maybe all those lives could have been made a bit better, if even for a MOMENT, by someone (ie the band) making a little effort. Van Halen, whether they want this on their consciences or not, has been a part of everyone's life here at one point in time or another. They seem to be willing to let that all fade away.

If nothing else, I think what we want at this point is to know why. Even more than a new cd, or a tour, or whatever. But since telling us why may mean a slight decline in future sales due to the lack of 'surprise factor X', if there is ever to be a 'future' sale to make, we know nothing. While we may be getting 'let down' by 3 or 4 people, they are the ones letting thousands, if not millions of people, down. I, for one, would not be so willing to do that to so many others.

I have barely been at this board for a year. At first, like many others, I came at the height of speculation. Every day was exciting-I couldn't wait for the next tidbit of info. It was like being a little kid waiting for Santa Claus. But this Christmas Eve went on too long. I no longer care about the presents. I just want reassurance that Santa Claus (and the spirit he represents) exists. The toys will fade away into memory. The mess of wrapping paper will clutter the floor for but a moment. The tree comes down after a couple of weeks, along with the lights. The cookies, the turkey, etc., will have long been digested. All the great music, and movies, and everything that goes along with them will all disappear for another year.

But in the back of my mind, heart, and soul, I am longing for the season to come around again when good old Saint Nick becomes foremost in our hearts again. If even for a moment. One little sparkle to help me appreciate the otherwise ordinary year that passes in between.

I would just like to know why nobody ate the cookies and milk I laid out this time around.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been here for a long time...
    ABE...
    This is one of the best posts ever !
    [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well I for one still care and am still curious.....BUT the excitement has died down a lot!
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Good post Abe.

I used to be the local VH psycho. I'd run around work yackin it up how Roth was back and should be an album later in the year with a tour...they made me look bad man. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Fuckin bozo's. And yeah, its been so long now Mike's right about the "its about fucking time" thing. I'll feel good about having a new VH album for sure, but the hype/anticipation bubble has long been popped. They blew it with that. It could have been SO FUCKING GOOD with all the halen fans if we had an album this time last year. We would have been the happiest fans on the planet....talk about missing the boat! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Aw well, maybe this Fall.....heard that before...
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VH is still my favorite band and I don't care anymore. What does that say? VH has had many opportunities to redeem themselves but have not taken advantage of any of them. Folks it's August 2001. VH is letting another year go by. Silence from Alex, lies from Mike, contradictions and finger pointing from Eddie, and Dave silent and on tour, lead me to believe that these guys are all bipolar and fucked up. They have become a joke and I don't defend them anymore. I almost came to blows with people in my younger days if they dissed VH but now I'm one of the dissers. I think it's ridiculous how they treat their fans. I'm still very concerned about Ed's health but it's hard to swallow when you get most of your info from a golf mag these days [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] They should get some kind of reputable management and interact with their fans. I am so sick of hearing how Aeroshit treats their fans so well. I'm sick of Metallica being at the top. I've seen enough of Kiss to last me a lifetime. Bon Jovi sucks ass and they're selling like hotcakes. VH should be above all of these bands at all times. We used to call VH "The Mighty Van Halen" but you can take the mighty out and with the looks of it, there is no Van Halen to speak of anymore.
    VH RIP...1978-1996
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's a difference between "caring" and obsessing. And I direct this at no one in particular.

I know that most people believe bands owe something to their fans, but I don't. It would be nice to be fed information, given the inside scoop, thrown a bone, but that assumes there is some kind of true relationship between fans and bands. But that is a fiction. At best, the role of the fan is that of lady-in-waiting or secret admirer. To expect more is to guarantee disappointment.

If you feel apathy, resentment, hard feelings, etc., about VH it is your fault. I see it this way. If they're done with music, then I thank them for what they've produced. If they're going to put out more, I will be thrilled to hear it. I don't presume to judge what VH can or should do with their careers, families, etc. I also don't begrudge them when plans fall through, "official" statements end up changing, nobody wants to talk, etc. That's life!

The best thing to do is to figure out why you feel entitled or ripped off, get perspective, ease off the VH gossip for a while and sit and ponder things that really matter. Consider abstaining from all VH message boards. Don't take this rock and roll stuff too seriously! Otherwise, you might forever and needlessly damage your appreciation of one fine and frisky band. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I'd say that apathy is most certainly the fault of the band, not the fan. It's a business relationship, regardless of how you look at it. Many bands deal with their fans as the customers that they are. VH... is an island. Until a few years ago, they were a communicative band. There's nothing obsessive about feeling apathetic towards a band that has so deliberately abandoned its fanbase.

Disappointment is a natural reaction when expectations are allowed and actively encouraged to form, yet continually go unfulfilled.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The band certainly doesn't owe us anything, it just seems to me that when technology changes to allow instant and definitive communication such as that that exists with the internet, a business is foolish not to take advantage of it. It's not like the members of Van Halen even need to understand how the internet works, just that it does.

They've got this valuable tool in front of them, they are paying to maintain a site, and yet they are basically letting it gather dust. It's right there every single minute of every single day waiting to be used in a manner that would benefit the band (which benefits their reputations, their credibility, hell even their bank accounts), but it never happens.

You can't convince me that any of these guys is too busy to take 10 minutes a week and write a few paragraphs to be posted on their own site. They certainly aren't obligated to do that, but it would be a great gesture and would pay off with loyalty etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Jamies\' Cryin
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm totally fed up with VH.....No they don't owe us anything but I guess I don't owe them anything as well....I guess I should have picked ZZ Top to be my favorite band. At least they have kept their shit together all these years. Of course we don't "pick" a favorite band...It's like love...it just happens and you can't fight it....
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3 !!!

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halen88:
    Of course we don't "pick" a favorite band...It's like love...it just happens and you can't fight it....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Bingo! You just hit the nail on the head!!

Oh, Van Halen! I have loved you for so long. I keep your picture in my room. I follow your every move. I wonder what you're thinking and doing. I write you letters. I flatter you. I defend you . . . why can't you just write back? I'll do anything for you. You just don't understand how much you mean to me. I can't believe you'd just throw it all away. What did I do? Is there someone else? Why won't you just talk to me? I think at a minimum I deserve an explanation after all we've been through together. You know I've always been there for you. This not knowing is killing me. It's just that I love you sooo much . . . Please don't say it's over! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] LMAO! null