Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I was listening to YR in the car today, and it got me thinking: Could DLR re-release it and have a hit on his hands?

It's really one hell'uva patriotic rock tune, and that sort of stuff would go over very well now. Dave performed it damn well on tour, and making a new video for it near the Statue of Liberty would really get some good airplay if it was done right.

Any thoughts? How many other musicians have revived a career by re-releasing an old hit at the right time?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I think it could be a hit now if it was rereleased. Hell, it could be a hit even if it wasn't released - maybe we all need to just start requesting it! Unfortunately, I get the feeling that a lot of radio stations do not have a single DLR CD in their studios, not even The Best. Idiots.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I really think Dave is too far off the radar to get THAT big of a hit out of something like this. And to be honest, I don't really go in for 'rah rah rah' patriotism displays. I much prefer a person who quietly shows their love, rather than someone who feels the need to resort to sky writing.

Dave is a guy who loves the spotlight, the media, and the attention. And he's currently off the radar. I'm not sure there's any way for him to do this without it looking like he's just trying to revive his name.

Plus, and I understand that this idea is tied in with the recent events, I really think it's time for Dave to focus on something new, not something like this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think he could have a hit. It's a great song, one of his best [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's interesting to speculate as to what Dave's next move would be if this indeed happened. I guess part of it depends on where he's at with this supposed solo album he's hinted at.

But if he re-released Yankee Rose, and it hit, would he hurry to release his next solo album to capitalize, or would he throw another tour together focusing on his past, using YR as a drawing card as he's been using the VH material lately?

You would think that a hit with a solo tune would push Dave to focus on his solo material, but who knows. I'm more inclined to think he'd wind up back on tour with the old material, which is not the avenue I want to see him pursue.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who knows...

Over here, Dave's hardly known nowadays anyway...

I tell 'em that I likeDave Roth and they're just like "Who the fuck's that?!?!?!"

When I tell them that he was the original singer of Van Halen, that sometimes helps... or play them a solo tune like California Girls, Just A Gigolo or Just Like Paradise they tend to say "Ahh yeah... I've heard that before! So that's the guy?!?! Good music!"

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?!
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going to say, no, the song would tank faster than the next Three Tenors album.

Dave's just too far off the mainstream music radar right now. If he "released" the song, no one would play it. If anyone did, it would be the classic rock stations, and the people that listen to those stations are hardly the kind of folk that dictate musical trends. No Top 40 station presence = no mega hit.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

I don't think so. Unfortunately, today's music scene doesn't include artists like DLR. I know all the Roth and VH fans would love it.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

First of all, Yankee Rose doesn't make me think of patriotism, it makes me think of hot chicks and bright lights and city lights.

Yankee Rose is an unbelievably, AWESOME song though, so I would like to be re-released, it shouldn't be re-recorded though because the original is perfect! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One word: No.
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yankee Rose ain't going anywhere today. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] Wanna get Dave "back on the radar"?? Cameo single with Kid Rock or even Eminem. Go ahead and crinkle up your nose, but these guys have the ears of the nation right now and anyone who appreciates anything these two have done can understand why Dave says grooving to Limp Bizkit makes him feel young. Yankee Rose with guest Kid Rock? Tear it up Dave!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

With all due respect AllSoupNoFish I'd rather see Dave jump off a bridge then team up with Fred Durst or Kid Crap. JURANAMO!!!!!!
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT, WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bad idea IMO. Dave sank 'cos he didn't understand the changing trends at the end of the eighties, and now looking back 16 years will do no good. I've said this before but Dave didn't have a reputation as a serious musician &gt; he left VH, he was a just a party animal. Music got serious in late '80s/early '90s and Dave was still clowning around (he was great fun, though.) It actually PISSES me off 'cos he's supposed to be soooo intelligent and he couldn't do anything to prevent his own downfall. He should have "Bono" status right now, except without the pretensions.

[ December 01, 2001 at 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Legoman ]</p>
    Use my hand, I won't look!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Could This Be Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't be too quick to slag Bono. He may be pretentious, but he's also doing a lot more for the cause of world peace than a hypothetical re-release of "Yankee Rose".

Oh, and I agree with YankeeRose (the user) regarding Yankee Rose (the song). It's only patriotic within the context that Dave has correctly identified the fact that we have hot women here.

If we're going to ignore contexts, we should just whip out "Born in the USA" again.
    DtK<br /><br /><i>"<b>Do</b> something."</i>

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DannyTheKid:
    Oh, and I agree with YankeeRose (the user) regarding Yankee Rose (the song). It's only patriotic within the context that Dave has correctly identified the fact that we have hot women here.<hr></blockquote>But with a video that focuses on the country itself, and to all the people who missed Yankee Rose the first time, the connotation could easily be shifted to national pride. Lyrics like "she's a vision from coast to coast, sea to shining sea, hey sister you're the perfect host" could cease to be about chicks and become about the nation.

Selfishly speaking though, as a fan of that song for so many years, I think a version like this would lessen the original songs impact with me. Granted, we're not talking about altering the song itself, but even still I think different visual images would change my hearing of the song. As an example, I can't even listen to Candle In the Wind (the original) anymore now that Elton John did that incredibly lame version for Princess Diana.