Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a fan of music and Eddie Van Halen, would you rather see him hire a 4th lead singer or branch out and do other kinds of music not necessarily within the rock 'n roll genre.

Personally, I'd rather see him explore other musical avenues than hire a 4th lead singer. Though alot of us didn't like VH3, it was probably indicative of the new direction Ed wished to take. In retrospect, I didn't care for it much either but only because I tried to compare it with previous records. Hopefully, Ed will find his niche again, whether it's in hard rock 'n roll again, jazz, happy blues (his term) movies, television, whatever? We need to remember that Ed considers himself a musician as opposed to a "rock star". There is a real possibility that the type of music that many of us want to hear doesn't jive with what Ed (and Al) want to do. I just read the Guitar magazine Randy Rhoads article, where Ozzy talked about how days before Randy's death, he expressed his desire to give up playing "rock 'n roll" and going to UCLA to study music. What I'm getting at here is while most fans may just look at Ed as a "rock star" or a "guitar hero" he thinks of himself as a musician first. It's part of his natural growth as a musician to branch out and try different things. Within the limits of rock 'n roll, he may find that extremely hard to do.

[ February 07, 2002 at 07:56 AM: Message edited by: dropdeadlegs ]</p>

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

If Ed's not going to reunite Van Halen with Dave, or even have Sam come back in sing, I'd just as soon he retire "Van Halen" as a band name and go off and do his own thing. It's harder for him because the band didn't have a unique name such as "The Police", so no matter what he does he'll always be "Van Halen", but as I've mentioned before, it doesn't have to be called "Van Halen". Maybe now's the time to get a unique band name, or just start calling his work "The Eddie Van Halen Project" (though I'm leary of any music that comes out from a band with "Project" in the title!). But being in "Van Halen" carries with it certain expectations that I don't feel he is caring to continue, so why not start fresh?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

III
    Favorite VH Song

love walks in
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys are so hung up on the name issue....and lead singers for that matter. Eddie could spit into a cup and it would still be Eddie's creation.

Fourth singer, new direction...it's all good.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Maybe to you, but not to me...

When I buy a U2 album, I expect to hear U2.
    When I buy a Rolling Stones album, I expect to hear the Rolling Stones.
    Neither of those groups' most recent albums sound anything at all like their first, but there is still something recognizable there that links them.
    Just because neither of those groups are named for one (or in Van Halen's case two) of the members, why should my expectations be any different for Van Halen than they are for those two bands? Bottom line is, I feel Edward is set to embark on a new musical direction, and in my mind it's going to be in a direction similar to Sting and Phil Collins. But their music doesn't do the same things for me that the Police and Genesis did, but it doesn't matter, because it's not called the Police and Genesis. If people can't understand that, I can't help it. But it's not a hang up - it's a matter of taste. And if a Pizza tastes like sushi, don't call it a Pizza!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can't say it any better than Billy just did.

Eddie can do whatever he wants. But if it's not Van Halen, take a lesson from Tony Iommi and retire the name.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Patsy Stone:
    You guys are so hung up on the name issue....and lead singers for that matter. Eddie could spit into a cup and it would still be Eddie's creation.

Fourth singer, new direction...it's all good.
    van halen is van halen no matter who sings, and yes i would take a 4th singer just to see van halen again.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Are the Beatles still the Beatles no matter who sings?

Would the Stones still be the Stones if Justin Timberintheass replaced Mick Jagger and Ricky Martin replaced Keith Richards??

Was Covercheeseball Page or the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page the same as Led Zeppelin.

The answer is FUCK NO!!!!!

And if you don't get that, you are a.......

[ February 07, 2002 at 03:01 PM: Message edited by: FORD ]</p>
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

If it's EVH, AVH and Mike Anthony it's still Van Halen. They didn' change their name with Sam or Gary so why the fuck would they with singer #4. Van Halen's signature sound is there because of Edward Van Halen and that is the first thing that most fans recognize when they hear a Van Halen track.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I believe that Van Halen as we have known it is no more. IMO never again will EVH share a stage with either Sammy or Dave (except if they are inducted into the RRHOF); he just doesn't want to, and as much as we may not like it, it is his perogative. EVH and AVH have been waiting out the record contract so that they can do their own thing, ON THEIR TERMS and with whoever they please.

Whatever they do, my guess is that they won't even call it Van Halen anymore; they will probably put together a band based on whatever they are into these days, and it may not be very rock and roll. Not calling it Van Halen, and not being signed to a major label will give them the latitude they desire. I won't judge it until I hear it; if it sounds good, IT IS GOOD. If it sucks, well, I'll be glad to say it sucks. I'm no fucking sheep by saying that either, just facing what seem to be the facts.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I have always felt that when they got Sammy, the band should have changed the name, same with Cherone. That is not to say that either era was better or worse, that is all a matter of personal opinion.

My image of Van Halen has Roth as the singer. Always will I think.

IMO, at this stage of their careers, if you dont bring back Dave, just call yourselves something else.

I will still come to the concert, just to hear Eddie, Mike and Alex jam. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I do think that we get too caught up in the name, but it's a 'to each his own' situation. I still fall back on the fact that ANY name becomes a brand name, so while I can see the concept that Van Halen wasn't the same without David Lee Roth, I think it's fair to say that David Lee Roth wasn't the same without Steve Vai, or Billy Sheehan, or Greg Bissonette (sp?). I understand that Dave was/is a solo artist, but in 1986-7, when Dave was still a king, that band of musicians was all a part of the package billed as David Lee Roth. Should Dave have changed to billing once the key players started slipping away?

Even right now, Dave has toured and is apparently recording (something) under the name DLR Band, and it most certainly isn't with the line-up of musicians that were first known as that. So is Dave misleading the public by using the same name but changing the faces? It's really the same arguement, it only differs in that VH is a household name whereas few people would even know who the DLR Band are.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

There's a difference with solo artists - don't know why, but there is. Maybe it's because with a band, there are multiple people expected to be contributing to the music and those people are expected to present a similar sound, while a solo artist is usually just a singer (or in some cases a guitarist like Jeff Beck or Joe Satriani), and the supporting cast can rotate at will, giving the band a different sound, but the singer (or the guitarist) would sound the same. Then you get situations like Bruce Springsteen & Tom Petty, where their backing band has a name of its own, and as long as those members are there, you expect the same sound, but once they work with other people, those expectations can drop. On David Lee Roth's solo albums, because of the different musicians he's surrounded himself with, the styles and music changes, some that people like, some they don't, but David Lee Roth sounds like himself.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's kind of a perspective thing. Obviously some of us here associate more strongly with the vocals of Van Halen and some associate more strongly with the guitar/drum/bass.

To me, personally, even though they've changed each time a new singer came on board, it was still always recognizeable as Van Halen. That's why calling themselves Van Halen is fine IMHO. Granted, two things make Van Halen in my head - Eddie's guitar and Mike's harmonies. Remove one of the two and it's just not Van Halen anymore.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Granted, two things make Van Halen in my head - Eddie's guitar and Mike's harmonies. Remove one of the two and it's just not Van Halen anymore.
    So you admit that VDIII was NOT Van Halen then, as Mikey was about 98% absent from that album.

Good, that's half the battle.... now we just have to get you to admit that Van Hagar was NOT Van Halen
    Eat Us And Smile

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    Are the Beatles still the Beatles no matter who sings?

Would the Stones still be the Stones if Justin Timberintheass replaced Mick Jagger and Ricky Martin replaced Keith Richards??

Was Covercheeseball Page or the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page the same as Led Zeppelin.

The answer is FUCK NO!!!!!

And if you don't get that, you are a.......