Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Please don\'t make me choose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While going through the mass of posts after taking a step away from the forums for a little while, I was a bit overwhelmed by all the different possibilities.... Ed's true health situation, Al's status, was this supposed to be a tour with the brothers that had to be averted(sp?)?

Anyway, I couldn't help latching on to the mutual competition quotes from the press conference. Sammy has said on a couple of occasions in the past that another reason he wouldn't come back to VH was the fact that the DLR saga and the fan expectations of that reunion occuring had to be resolved first.

I know this is nowhere near concise or well written, but please stay with me...

If Sam were to consistantly put on a better show than Dave in front of a mixed audience, wouldn't that effectively take care of that problem?

If you couple that with the fact that Dave is living off past VH (as his set list will reflect) and Sam has continued to put out more "new" non-vh tunes or for the purpose of my point add fresh bodies of work in a forward direction, which goes along with VHs claims of not wanting to become a "formula song" band.

It seems to me that if getting back with Sam is what VH wants to do (of course having Mike as an ambassidor doesn't hurt) all they would have to do is watch this tour happen and they would be totally justified in any decision they make....

Lets face it if VH wanted to work exclusively with Dave they would have done it already.

If Dave shows up Sam, the brothers could play it in two ways. They could play the AC/DC-Aerosmith game of putting out the same safe "formula album", or if they didn't want to work with Roth they could easily say he didn't do it totally on his own merits but on that of VH back catalog. If Sam beats out Dave the brothers could easily say Dave just can deliver anything but the past anymore and could be free to go in any direction they want whether or not its with Sam.

Just a thought, but are the brothers keeping score on this tour?

TD
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    The only score Eddie is keeping these days is his golf score !

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Nice!! I left myself open for that one, but seriously, if you think about it, if the brothers take a "let'em duke it out themselves" position they could really use the outcome of the tour as a staging ground for where they plan to move in the future.

[ April 18, 2002 at 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Tonedaddy ]</p>
    Unofficial Keeper of the Faith<p>Our responsibility is to the music and it's continued growth<p>Who's your daddy?<p>"I'm bold as love, just ask the axis" J.H.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Tonedaddy:
    If Dave shows up Sam, the brothers could play it in two ways. They could play the AC/DC-Aerosmith game of putting out the same safe "formula album", or if they didn't want to work with Roth they could easily say he didn't do it totally on his own merits but on that of VH back catalog. If Sam beats out Dave the brothers could easily say Dave just can deliver anything but the past anymore and could be free to go in any direction they want whether or not its with Sam.

TD
    What are you smoking??

Van Halen 1 - 1984 were 6 very different albums and every single song (possibly excepting "I'll Wait" was a worthwhile song.

Van Hagar's 4 albums were the formula albums. You had your cheese ballads, your mid-tempo pop rock songs, and your complete garbage like "Inside", "Apolitical Blues", "Spanked", and "Big Fat Money".

Van Hagar came far closer to the AeroShit cookie cutter than Van HALEN ever would.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah I was just about to say, Van Hagar was a formula band. Van HALEN pushed the envelope, and I'm sure if they were back with Dave they'd be doing more of the same.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have the benefit (or possibly disadvantage?!) of not knowing of van halen when they had either dave or sammy. and yes i know i'm gonna get a dozen replies saying i don't have the right to an opinion because of that.

the point i'm trying to make is i don't class myself as a dave or sammy fan. both eras had great songs. both had bad songs. i believe the band was better as a group with dlr but musically eddie was better with sammy. his solos were more integrated into the songs and so sounded better.

sorry for this being long-winded but as formulaic as you say the sammy era was, it could be argued the same about early van halen.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by Bammo:
    as formulaic as you say the sammy era was, it could be argued the same about early van halen.
    How so? I'd be interested in hearing that argument.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,480 Times in 902 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the VH brothers are keeping an eye on this tour. I don't think they are 'keeping score' but probably are interested in attendence, fan reaction and set lists.

As for the difference in Van Halen and 'Van Hagar', here is my short take. When I wanted to hear some hard rockin' tunes, I listen to the Dave-era. If I wanted to hear something more musically and a little laid back, I listen to the Sammy-era. Not that the Sammy stuff doesn't rock at all or that any of the Dave stuff isn't laid back but that is my general take on the two eras.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think there are now 2 possibilities of what is actually going on.

VH is working with or looking for another singer, and have no plans or desires to work with either
    Sammy or Dave.

or

Maybe, they have all gotten together, and decided that they do indeed want to do one last album and tour with each singer, and do it simultaneously, in the same manner as this Sammy and Dave tour. My point is, VH, if they do want to do this, don't want to put out a killer pair of albums, get the fans interest back, and then go out and have the tour blow up in their faces because Sammy and Dave couldn't get along. So this tour could be a trial, also buy Ed a little more time to get back to full health, and also let the VH gang know just exactly how much Sammy and Dave have left in the tank.

Dave and Sammy are going to push each other to the max, and put on some killer shows, probably the most inspired shows of their post VH touring careers. Yeah, I can see Dave throwing in one, "I forgot the fuckin' words" deal, but when he said they wouldn't be doing renditions of the songs, that leads me to believe that DLR will be raising the bar to the next level, and I'm sure Sammy will follow suit, if that means changing the setlist to a harder edged, then get ready to rock and party.

Just thinking out loud. I just feel if VH has decided they want to go out in a blaze of glory with one more album and tour, this could well be the case.

If not, we will still have alot of fun, get to hear most of our favorite VH songs live, and see something we swore would never happen. Never say never, at least not around here.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tonedaddy:

TD
    What are you smoking??

Van Halen 1 - 1984 were 6 very different albums and every single song (possibly excepting "I'll Wait" was a worthwhile song.

Van Hagar's 4 albums were the formula albums. You had your cheese ballads, your mid-tempo pop rock songs, and your complete garbage like "Inside", "Apolitical Blues", "Spanked", and "Big Fat Money".

Van Hagar came far closer to the AeroShit cookie cutter than Van HALEN ever would.
    </font>[/QUOTE]While I agree with the fact that all the albums (and that goes for all eras) were there own entities, the point I was trying to make was DLR era VH had a formula song structure (i.e. intro riff same, or at most slight variation as the verse figure, the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo etc. stucture).

And post '85 we started seeing things like more elaborate transitions to and from the verses, choruses, and lead sections in both the solos and the rhythm parts behind them. If anyone gets what I'm saying maybe they can explain it better.

TD

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

DLR: 1984 Sammy: FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DLR: So This is Love, Sammy: The Dream Is Over, Gary: That\'s Why I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How so? I'd be interested in hearing that argument.
    my point is this: if someone claims that a band's albums are formulaic because they only have 3 or 4 types of songs on then that can be argued for nearly every band (maybe not experimental bands like pink floyd etc) including early vh.

early vh songs tended to be either really heavy (eg house of pain), fast-paced (eg sinner's swing), or lighter songs (eg dance the night away or little guitars).

people should remember that if they claim something about one era then it's quite likely the argument can be used on the other.

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the real question is: what are Sam's and Dave's real motivations behind this tour? What does Sammy have to gain from this if he's so "happy" with his current solo career? Why bother at all with the Van Halen soap opera? And as for Dave, it seems a little more obvious. I think he's saying "if I can get along with Sammy, I can get along with anybody". Plus he seems to need attention again. Plus there may be the ulterior motive of showing who's the superior frontman from both singers. And the obvious financial gains. But I think there's more to this tour than money. If these questions are answered, the picture would be a lot clearer.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 540 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    I think the real question is: what are Sam's and Dave's real motivations behind this tour? What does Sammy have to gain from this if he's so "happy" with his current solo career? Why bother at all with the Van Halen soap opera? And as for Dave, it seems a little more obvious. I think he's saying "if I can get along with Sammy, I can get along with anybody". Plus he seems to need attention again. Plus there may be the ulterior motive of showing who's the superior frontman from both singers. And the obvious financial gains. But I think there's more to this tour than money. If these questions are answered, the picture would be a lot clearer.
    I'm gonna put a pro-Sammy hat on for a second, and say that Sammy is doing this for one primary reason, and that is the fans. He doesn't need the money. He was going on tour anyway, and he knows this is a big deal. Sammy has always talked about the fans, and he knows we're hurting. This is some give back, he knows this is what we want. He has also said in the past that he'd get back with VH only if that's what all the fans really wanted. He may not go that far, but he'll do this.

Dave needs the publicity. And he REALLY needs to give some good shows.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think Sammy would have no problem doing this same thing with the VH gang and Dave, and this could very well be some sort of test run, doubtful, yet possible. I read something today about Mo and Lenny, both formerly of WB,are now working in music at Dreamworks, so I wouldn't be surprised if something is cooking over there, company wise if they do go major label again. Let's see if Sammy and Dave can tear it up this summer, and who knows what might happen.